Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Part 4

Vaeliorin

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

As for Legend additional levels, they come at a vastly reduced xp rate. No idea how that works, like do you have to max out your original 20 levels at max cost, then get the discount 20 levels at a fraction afterward etc.

Everything gets discounted, so you should immediately get a lot of levels.

The Legend xp maximum is actually not that much higher than the normal xp max, so it should be pretty easy to achieve.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

That is fine I guess... 🤔

As for Legend additional levels, they come at a vastly reduced xp rate. No idea how that works, like do you have to max out your original 20 levels at max cost, then get the discount 20 levels at a fraction afterward etc.

won't spoil story aspects too much, but is a short span during which you lose mythic and have not yet gained your legend powhaz... functional get dropped to mythic level 3. you will keep your first three mythic levels even as a legend.

next you are tasked with a legendary quest which is more or less complex depending on choices you made throughout the game. you are gonna be relative underpowered at this point as you lost many mythic powhaz and you have gained no legend benefits.

upon completion o' the legend quest you immediate gain enough xp to reach overall level 35. as such the stuff 'bout gaining xp at an accelerated rate is misleading-- true but misleading. you will reach level 40 with a fair amount o' gameplay to spare, but your increased rate o' level acquisition is not as dramatic as you might s'pose. illustration: when our companions final hit level 20, our legend had just reached overall level 38. so, in all honesty, after becoming legendary we gained three levels in the span our companions acquired two. the real kicker is the insta-boost from 18 to 35. as such, is good to have a relative complete leveling plan in mind as you are doing the legend quest.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 hours ago, Gromnir said:

'course if you do not have animal companions...

reposting for no particular reason

the smite ability for the divine hunter's animal companion is NOT once per day. spammable. for inexplicable reasons, the velociraptor has a charisma o' 14. smillodon has 10. the rest o' the critters get 'tween 4 and 7 for charisma. your velociraptor, once lann reaches divine hunter level 3 and the velociraptor may be designated celestial or fiendish, becomes an absolute murder machine with perpetual capacity to overcome dr plus added ab and damage versus evil foes... and most wotr foes is evil.

Putting the spotlight on the celestial raptor is a very good reason for reposting, going raptor was probably the best advice I lifted from these here Pathfinder threads. :yes: Raptor's the reason Lann's in all my parties (though as divine hunter he's no slouch himself either), tried one party without and it felt so...unnatural. Plus the aggressor raptor does bleeding damage and it has delicious synergy with my crit-stacking instinctual warrior trickster with "on crit, instakill wounded things who bleed" falchion.

Tip: you can put a charisma diadem on the raptor. :biggrin: Also, gloves (there even is one very balanced-for-celestial-raptor set), and a cape and bracers and a belt, which raises a question why they drew the line at rings and goggles.

...and now I want to play it again. :getlost:

• Like 1

regarding celestial velociraptor:

don't overlook the UMD skill. of course animal companions should not be able to use scrolls, but with charisma boosting gear, your celestial raptor will be able to use any and all o' those personal-only spells which transform clerics and wizards into combat dynamos or make 'em functional invulnerable.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps lead blades also applies to natural "hand" weapons, so your legendary proportion celestial velociraptor's claws and talon attacks is base 3d6 damage if you use the scroll.  add a skald to the party with beast totem rage powers and the potential damage output for the raptor becomes kinda stoopid.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Made it to level 6. Freed Grey Garrison and got what looks like a new "home base". As nice as the old tavern was, it was located a bit far away from everything towards the end. Also got a "Mythic Level". Picked 'A Bit of Fun' (seemed appropriate for a Chaotic character with little in the way of armour) and 'Brutality Incarnate' (seemed appropriate for a greatsword wielding Barbarian). I know my spell casters appreciate their own Mirror Image spells and enemy resistances saves them from a lot of damage.

My companions are still using their default level up paths, because I don't have the brains at the moment, to try to work out optimal builds for so many classes 😊

Got a promotion (Gods save the Queen) and new tasks in for the form of "Crusade missions". Not that I know how to do that, because last thing I did before calling it quits Sunday night, was scratching my head, wondering how to leave camp with no obvious exits or characters left to talk to 😂

To be fair, it was 2am and I didn't try very hard (because Monday is a workday and I had to find my bed)

Lann is sort of a staple in my party by now, because he's a monster with a bow. The remaining 4 slots get picked on need basis. I like Seelah as a character, but she's so slow it's painful. Yes, I could cast spells on her at the start of the combat, but... argh 😖 Camellia is the opposite, often ending up way ahead of the party, fighting unsupported for several rounds 🙄

Ember and Nenio takes turns being the spell caster and Daeran is my new best friend in hard fights. The amount of healing that guy dishes out is unreal, especially his aoe heals 🤯

I suppose Finnean counts as a companion too, but the Lilarcor wannabe would be mostly forgotten if it wasn't because he's my characters current greatsword.

Woljief... well, his character rubs me the wrong way, gets left out frequently by now. Not sure what to think about Sosiel as I haven't been able to take him anywhere outside camp yet 😝

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

59 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Brutality Incarnate' (seemed appropriate for a greatsword wielding Barbarian

Unless you're building to use claws or a bite, it's pretty useless for a Barbarian.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Made it to level 6. Freed Grey Garrison and got what looks like a new "home base". As nice as the old tavern was, it was located a bit far away from everything towards the end. Also got a "Mythic Level". Picked 'A Bit of Fun' (seemed appropriate for a Chaotic character with little in the way of armour) and 'Brutality Incarnate' (seemed appropriate for a greatsword wielding Barbarian).

"limitless rage" is the obvious first choice for a barbarian, or any other class which relies on rage powhaz... and as kp so indelicate put it, brutality incarnate is linked to the use o' natural weapons such as claws and bite; even if you go the full beast totem route, (which is a good idea for an instinctual warrior/mutation warrior kinda barbarian) we typical wouldn't choose brutality incarnate at any point. on normal difficulty you ain't doomed by taking brutality incarnate, but if you do not respec, then make certain you choose all the beast totem rage powers in addition to animal fury.

other mythic powahz we might unsolicited suggest for a great sword wielding barbarian at some point earlyisih is ever ready, myhtic charge, thundering blows, and if you don't go the azata route with life bonding friendship, then last stand is great for mitigating mistakes or if you are playing on higher difficulties. as is @Gorthfirst time playing, mistakes is gonna happen 'cause you do not possess a wealth o' meta-knowledge. seeing as you already took guarded stance and bit of fun, you might also inspect the  archmage armour power, 'cause use o' those plentiful potions o' mage armour trigger the archmage armour mythic just as does casting the spell. archmage armour scales nice.

early mythic feats which is kinda impossible to ignore for a greatsword haver is power attack (mythic) and improved critical (mythic.) 

seelah is extreme fast when mounted on a horse. the automatic choice for paladin is weapon bond, and is a perfect acceptable option, but it does mean seelah, particular in tb mode, will be the last invitee arriving at any combat party just so long as you got her in medium or heavy armour... which is likely. side note: fatigue, diseased and cursed is excellent choices for paladin mercies. 

feel free to ignore any and all Gromnir suggestions, but owlcat and pathfinder make it extreme ez to choose wrong even when something sounds right/good.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

"limitless rage" is the obvious first choice for a barbarian, or any other class which relies on rage powhaz... and as kp so indelicate put it, brutality incarnate is linked to the use o' natural weapons such as claws and bite; even if you go the full beast totem route, (which is a good idea for an instinctual warrior/mutation warrior kinda barbarian) we typical wouldn't choose brutality incarnate at any point. on normal difficulty you ain't doomed by taking brutality incarnate, but if you do not respec, then make certain you choose all the beast totem rage powers in addition to animal fury.

other mythic powahz we might unsolicited suggest for a great sword wielding barbarian at some point earlyisih is ever ready, myhtic charge, thundering blows, and if you don't go the azata route with life bonding friendship, then last stand is great for mitigating mistakes or if you are playing on higher difficulties. as is @Gorthfirst time playing, mistakes is gonna happen 'cause you do not possess a wealth o' meta-knowledge. seeing as you already took guarded stance and bit of fun, you might also inspect the  archmage armour power, 'cause use o' those plentiful potions o' mage armour trigger the archmage armour mythic just as does casting the spell. archmage armour scales nice.

early mythic feats which is kinda impossible to ignore for a greatsword haver is power attack (mythic) and improved critical (mythic.) 

seelah is extreme fast when mounted on a horse. the automatic choice for paladin is weapon bond, and is a perfect acceptable option, but it does mean seelah, particular in tb mode, will be the last invitee arriving at any combat party just so long as you got her in medium or heavy armour... which is likely. side note: fatigue, diseased and cursed is excellent choices for paladin mercies. 

feel free to ignore any and all Gromnir suggestions, but owlcat and pathfinder make it extreme ez to choose wrong even when something sounds right/good.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah, Seelah got the sword bond indeed, being the default when using auto selection for companions (she's usually the last one to arrive at a fight at the moment).

As for mythic powers, luckily my last two saves before calling it a day was before and after picking powers. Only downside to the first save is I have to do the selection again for the companions (yeah, I'm a bit lazy like that at times). Did go the beast totem route though, picking first the lesser and then standard beast totem ability. But, will reload and change the second feat to something else (sticking with the first feat, even if not optimal, sometimes you have to feel a bit of pain for less optimal choices, right?). I'll have a look at the skill descriptions on those you listed, before picking the second option... yes, you can definitely shoot yourself in the proverbial foot with a crossbow, given all the options available. The advice is much appreciated 👍

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

44 minutes ago, Gorth said:

The advice is much appreciated

well then, do not underestimate the value of charge for seelah, and the capacity for your party to initiate almost any combat. might be a bit exploitive, but start combat rt and have all melee party members charge simultaneous to begin combat... and Then turn on tb when the charge is complete. is possible for all melee combatants to simultaneous charge a single foe in rt, wrecking most non-boss foes in the process. is worth considering up until you have the levels to keep seelah perpetual hastened, and possibly enlarged. 

aside, there remains a few tb combat hiccups. most such problems may be dismissed with a momentary switch to rt. if that do not work, you are able to create a save during combat by creating a bug report save: alt +b. complete exit the game after creating the bug report save and then reload will exorcise most tb bugs not fixed by a brief toggle to rt, but not all. and yes, the capacity to save during combat is potential exploitive.

HA! Good Fun!

Mythic Charge it is then... (although Thundering Blows was tempting too). Ever Ready?... My barbarian usually starts late and then charges the enemy with charge. Camelila usually being the one who gets to do attacks of opportunity when enemies runs past her to get to my back line characters. I am really tempted to do the respect thing for Seelah and give her a horse rather than some intimate relationship with her sword 🤔

Her slow pace really does condemn her to the role of wallflower in my party at the moment. Also, i got a horse armour somewhere in Gray Citadel. Looks better on a horse than in my backpack, I'm sure.

Now off to redo the level up process for my party members. I don't normally play with a lot of saves, but in this one case, I had a hunch I would come back and revisit those choices.

Edit: Ironically, Seelah gets Ever Ready as her default choice when using the auto feature. It's like they had planned on her having a horse???

58 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Camelila usually being the one who gets to do attacks of opportunity when enemies runs past her to get to my back line characters.

two non-mythic feats we recommend for all melee party members: outflank and seize the moment (for seize, combat reflexes is a prerequisite). surprising, outflank benefits ranged characters, so might as well give to lann outflank as well. there is an amazing synergy 'tween a party with blanket seize the moment and ever ready. if your barbarian is adjacent to a companion (even animal companions... make certain to raise the int o' animal companions to 3 so they may acquire at least outflank and possible seize the moment) with seize the moment, you will benefit from an attack o' opportunity if the companion crits.  at high levels you are gonna have a bunch o' attacks per round and your crit chance should be noteworthy. and so if you have three or four companions all attacking an enemy, and one o' you crits, then you all get a free attack, which might produce another crit... and so on. 

what ever ready does is it increases the number o' possible attacks o' opportunity as well as makes those attacks more likely to hit as well as increasing the damage output.

'course the problem with following Gromnir advice is your party might end up looking like a Gromnir party instead o' a @Gorthparty. is plenty o' ways to win in wotr. unfortunate there is so many ways to lose and you may not realize until you is level fifteen or so that your party is fubar. am offering advice to avoid calamity, but is worth just trying stuff which sounds kewl.

have fun with the game, and try stuff which just kinda sounds interesting. ain't anybody on the wotr boards recommending turning sosiel into a dedicated intimidator or building a celestial velociraptor. if we had listened only to the experts, we would never have found stuff we think is quirky and fun. ignore Gromnir is equal good advice as is paying heed to Gromnir, and ignore might be more fun.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the benefits o' teamwork feats such as outflank and seize the moment is another reason to go with the azata mythic and chose life bonding friendship. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I have a suspicion I'm going to play through this game more than once (like several times over), so I'll follow quite a bit of advice on the first time through, but stick to original theme of a strong, strong willed barbarian looking for a good scrap, wine and women. Leaving out silly altruism and pointless cruelty.

I killed some Inquisitor guy earlier (I didn't like his attitude, so I separated the left half of his brain from the right half, not that he was really using either half anyway), so a pair of acolytes of Desna joined me in the Gray Citadel fight. I'm sure I was supposed to recruit more factions/people (the journal entry looked like it had allocated space for more), but I probably missed some clues along the way. Ah well, next time. Some interesting story twists along the way. Having a *lot* of fun so far. Biggest single player time sink since the old Infinity Engine games!

Edit: I went ahead and changed Seelah's build slightly. Gave her a horse. Gave the horse a birthday, a name (Iomedae), the barding feats and weapon focus bite. Seriously... giving it Skill focus (Knowledge Arcana) was  an option??? Maybe I should get her horse a spell book too? 🤔

• Like 1

A Horse on a Hot Tin Roof... no, I don't really know how Seelah got her horse up on the roof top 😂

aRrAJsc.png

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Gorth said:

Gave the horse a birthday, a name (Iomedae), the barding feats and weapon focus bite.

I named Seelah's horse Iomeneigh.

• Haha 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

@Gorth you’ll love Daeran’s quest.

Lost Chapel

Well, this place was fun.

Spoiler

Where should I start? With the level 20 outsider coming out of nowhere right before I decided to rest or with all the npcs going crazy? Nurah, the Abadar priest, Ember… I shouldn’t have allowed the quartermaster to give wine to the troops! Even the Queen decided to recklessly let herself be captured. If she can take care of herself, why not go to the next room and save Irabeth? 🤔

Talking about Nurah, when I finally find someone more than suspiciuos, there is no option to attack. 😠

Ember praising the ghouls for their treatment of the prisoners was creepy. I’m once again suspecting she is acting and trolling everyone.

Hilarious how my character’s sympathy for Staunton (supported by Seelah 😃) totally backfired and just made him angry. Even better was seeing Minagho getting even angrier. “Stop talking! I hate idle chatter!” 🤣

Edit:

Spoiler

Even the demon was angry lol

Birgitt2.jpg

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

@Gorth

we forgot to mention leading strike as a recommended mythic powha for seelah and/or whomever is your tank... which appears to be camellia.

seelah, thru mythic 9, usual has the same powhaz for us regardless if we build her paladin or paladin/court poet or paladin with a single level o' sorc or...

no particular order: leading strike, ever ready, mythic beast, thundering blows, inspirational leader, last stand, abundant casting, improved critical, weapon focus.

if we go azata, then no last stand as life bonding friendship nullifies the benefit. 

if we go more court poet/paladin, then we take the second tier o' abundant casting as well.

for lann, as an archer, am always taking cleaving shot and is almost certain we get expose vulnerability and distracting shot.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is possible azata is not in the cards for @Gorth. am hesitating to mention, but if you are interested on the azata triggers, we got info from a link. is stuff which already woulda' happened, so minimal spoilers.

Spoiler

Azata is a Mythic Path that must be unlocked during the events of Chapter 1. During the chaos of Chapter 1, you will come across Ramien and you'll get the quest Starward Gaze. The quest will have you is to find his three disciples Ilkes, Aranka, and Thall (also known as Wallflower). Ilkes should find you after sparing Ramien from Hulrun. Aranka can be found in Daeran's mansion. Thall can be found in Market Square after finding Aranka.

At the end of the quest, you will speak with the three of them in a temple of Desna. During the conversation, you will be given the option to sing the Song of Elysium. You must choose to sing to unlock Azata. Killing the disciples will block unlocking Azata. Additionally, killing Ramien will block interacting with the disciples and will lock Azata if you have already unlocked it. So in summary, don't kill the followers of Desna if you want Azata.

15 hours ago, bugarup said:

You do that. Beasties are no nonsense useful and powerful in this game. :yes:

14 hours ago, Gorth said:

Edit: I went ahead and changed Seelah's build slightly. Gave her a horse. Gave the horse a birthday, a name (Iomedae), the barding feats and weapon focus bite. Seriously... giving it Skill focus (Knowledge Arcana) was  an option??? Maybe I should get her horse a spell book too? 🤔

8 hours ago, KP From Another World said:

I named Seelah's horse Iomeneigh.

I think you are on to something. Is Seelah’s horse Iomadae’s avatar? It seems he can cast divine spells.🤣

Birgitt3.jpg

• Like 1

sign.jpg

30 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

snip

fyi, is perhaps not important, but you mentioned lost chapel and share an image with foot-o-the-cliff at lost chapel, but we didn't see mention o' a noteworthy denizen o' lost chapel. is not as if you need mention all aspects o' lost chapel, but absence were noteworthy. 

spoiler:

Spoiler

zacharius is in the lost chapel basement, along with iron golems and spectres. is a necessary encounter for the lich path and regardless is representing noteworthy xp and 1007.

https://www.gosunoob.com/guides/lost-chapel-basement-pathfinder-wrath-righteous/

honest, we didn't bother to read the link to see if is accurate, but if you haven't accessed the basement at lost chapel, you might consider doing so.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

I'm not 100% sure, but:

Spoiler

If you break the Wand of Zacharius when you find it, the basement is not accessible, or else there's some other bug that sometimes bars the way. My Angel Oracle immediately broke the wand because I wasn't planning on going down the Lich path and wanted to kill Zacharius anyway, and the basement never was accessible. No way down at all.

The fight @Gromnir mentions is one of the ones that become hilariously easy with Selective Grease. Scary high level undead enemy just slips and dies. :p

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I did what @majesticdescribed above, so there was no sign of such place. That is ok, I intend to go Azata and later Gold Dragon.

So far, for Mythic abilities/feats, I picked the improvement for Hideous Laughter and Mythic Spell Focus for my main character. Maybe I'll take Mythic Dazzling Display next, it is working just fine with my high CHA. I've been able to fright anyone who is not immune to it.

For the casters I went with Abundant Casting and Mythic Spell Focus. I wanted to take Ascendant Element for Ember first, but I ended up with Abundant Casting by mistake.:facepalm:

sign.jpg

28 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

I did what @majesticdescribed above, so there was no sign of such place. That is ok, I intend to go Azata and later Gold Dragon.

no doubt you already checked, but the trigger for the azata mythic is extreme ez to miss. would kinda suck to finish drezen, after a couple dozen (or more) hours o' wotr gameplay, only to realize you failed to "hook up the doll."

HA! Good Fun! 

6 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

no doubt you already checked, but the trigger for the azata mythic is extreme ez to miss. would kinda suck to finish drezen, after a couple dozen (or more) hours o' wotr gameplay, only to realize you failed to "hook up the doll."

HA! Good Fun! 

I checked the requirements for Azata and Gold Dragon. And I learned how to recruit earlier a certain female companion on the way. I think I'll be all right. In fact, I'm already "drawing my power from freedom" or something like that.

• Like 2

sign.jpg