Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

• 2 weeks later...

The food chain in Australia sometimes confuses foreigners...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-28/cow-eating-snake-photos-outback-australia/12822382

A close up of a cow eating a snake on the Sandover Highway outside Lake Nash Station

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 6/21/2023 at 1:26 AM, Gfted1 said:

I love how he received a goose as the promised reward for solving a previous problem 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It looks like Airbus wants to "one up" Boeing by showing them how it's done... prepare for the Airbus 350 where the computer can take control of the plane, use AI to call the tower and talk to them (using computer generated speech) and take over the plane and land there on its own.

While intended for use if the pilots gets incapacitated or other emergencies, just wait for the day the AI gets all depressed and suicidal (or decides it doesn't like that high rise building on the horizon)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65676421

"The idea is this technology will take over if the pilots need to focus on heavy decision-making or if they were to become incapacitated.

Under its own control, the plane can descend and land, while recognising other aircraft, weather and terrain.

The system also allows the plane to speak to air traffic control over the radio with a synthetic voice created through the use of artificial intelligence."

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe this should've been in the funny thread, but despite all it's humour and memes, I must say as a Gen-X, I can relate wholeheartedly to this 😝

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

Maybe this should've been in the funny thread, but despite all it's humour and memes, I must say as a Gen-X, I can relate wholeheartedly to this 😝

less funny but similar.

were a tiktok video which went viral for five minutes earlier this year

https://scoop.upworthy.com/college-student-explains-why-it-is-so-hard-for-young-graduates-to-find-jobs

'course gen x had to show up and be gen x.  were dozens o' folks who actual lived during the 80s explaining that karen's reality take o' the 80s weren't... real.

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d07/tables/dt07_381.asp

adjusted for inflation starting income for college grads has actual increased since the 80s, and the suggestion entry-level bank tellers were making $36k per year in 1980 were derided by more than a few old people who chose to respond to the creator o' the tik tok. 

is not to say things were more difficult for college grads in the 80s. student debt, for example, were a far different beast when parachute pants was a thing than it is today. am also sympathetic to the painful realization for too many that their 2023 communications degree from csu chico is not gonna open many doors, much less $80k per year jobs. young people were sold a fantasy 'bout the benefits o' a college degree which were never complete true but is far less true today than were the case in the 80s. 

regardless, while the tiktok video itself were not particular interesting, we were genuine fascinated (not surprised) by how different gen x, millennials and gen z audiences responded to the vid. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

regardless, while the tiktok video itself were not particular interesting, we were genuine fascinated (not surprised) by how different gen x, millennials and gen z audiences responded to the vid.

I haven't seen the audiences feedback (comments were turned off on the tiktok, not sure if the other links had comments), so I don't know what the responses were. My own response is probably not very flattering... for I do find her entitled in some ways (and she's forgetting gen x like everybody else, the only things that exists are the dreaded baby boomers and me). I know when I was a young teen, I was constantly bombarded with the "make sure you pick a marketable skill to study" message from multiple sides (my parents, friends, the governments public service announcements, you name it), because if I picked a university degree in advanced clay pottery sculpting, I would only have myself to blame for a lack of job opportunities afterwards. I do agree with her, that older people are forgetting the impact of inflation and the housing prices are through the roof (pun unintended), to the point where most "normal" people will be either without a home to call their own or it will be something their parents would have scoffed at as unsuitable for human occupancy. Negative gearing strikes back!

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

My own response is probably not very flattering... for I do find her entitled in some ways (and she's forgetting gen x like everybody else, the only things that exists are the dreaded baby boomers and me). 

am mindful o' the fact that just 'cause a person is almost entire wrong, they could still have a point... might even be right.

what we mean is that while the gen z women who shared the tiktok vid had bogus numbers leading to fundamental flawed conclusions, she were at least partly correct that recent college grads is facing new and difficult challenges. yeah, am so not getting the intransigence o' many gen z college grads to take jobs which they deem to be offering insulting remuneration. wtf is that about? even so, the aforementioned student loan issues coupled with housing costs which have outstripped inflation by a significant degree (just to name a couple o' the many problems faced by gen z) means that in spite o' the fact new grads is making more money in inflation adjusted dollars than did gen x or boomers, youngsters like the tiktok poster is having future prospects significant diminished from previous generations. am understanding the frustration o' gen z.

yeah, immigrants to the US from india, taiwan and nigeria are no doubt baffled by the woe-is-me tales o' gen z. 'course gen x woe-is-me stories were equal confusing to russian and mexican immigrants. some things never change.

when maga cultists, entitled gen z brats, or new england patriot fans spout off and is objective wrong 'bout facts it becomes ez to dismiss 'em. at such times we need remind self that while the gen z and maga folks is preternatural wrong, their frustration is real and the anger they feel is not gonna disappear 'cause they were fact checked.  'course on the obsidian message board we ain't genuine trying to achieve dialectic in most cases and we have  zero empathy for patriots fans. we never claimed to be a saint. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

BBC - The woman who blazed a trail in mountain rescue

Mollie Porter's first experience of hillwalking was an exposed scramble in Glencoe which left her terrified and vowing she would never go up a mountain again.

But she quickly overcame her fears and for the next seven decades her life revolved around living and working in the mountains of the Cairngorms.

The 85-year-old made history in 1972 when she became leader of the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team - the first woman to take charge of a mountain rescue team in Scotland and it is believed in the UK as a whole.

And despite the passage of more than 50 years, very few women have followed in her footsteps.

Her expertise in the hills saw her break into areas of mountaineering that were exclusively male.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

14 hours ago, Raithe said:

Heh, so the scream originates from private Wilhelm... whose career in the army ended when he took an arrow to the knee (which is the specific scene the scream is from) 😂

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Publishing: Expectations vs Reality - ILONA ANDREWS (ilona-andrews.com)

This topic is probably better suited to a professional conference, but it made it on the blog question list, so here we go.

A recent article in Bookseller found that “debut authors struggle with the lack of support” and the process of publishing a book “negatively affected” their mental health. Also water is wet, snow is cold, and nitrogen is the most common gas in Earth’s atmosphere.

As I read the article, I laughed a bitter jaded laugh. I’m going to send it to Jeaniene Frost so she might have a laugh. Update: I sent it and then we laughed on the phone in bitter solidarity. It was better than crying. As someone said on Twitter once, publishing is a breeze. After the first four of five nervous breakdowns, I barely notice them.

I usually try to go for positive, but in this case, truth is best. Here is my direct advice, without any sugar coating, on how to preserve some sanity. All quotes are from the article above unless otherwise indicated.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."