Ukraine conflict - im Westen nichts Neues

Elerond

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-no-longer-needs-diplomatic-ties-with-west-ex-president-medvedev-2022-02-26/

Quote of the ducky house owner from there:

"He condemned as "really unfair" a decision by the Council of Europe, a rights watchdog, to suspend Russian membership, but added the move provided a good reason "to slam the door" for good on the organisation, giving Russia an opportunity to restore the death penalty for dangerous criminals"

So a way to spite vile foreigners is to start killing own citizens. It's so...Russian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im watching on Al-Jazeera and I am very impressed with number of East European countries opening their borders to Ukrainian refugees, its great to see that type of solidarity :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

But not Syrians, right?  Racist pigs.

Also,

Interesting

What a strange expectation, many East Europeans have ethnic and cultural ties with Ukrainians ....they dont have the same ties with Syrians. So no its nothing to do with racism

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What a strange expectation, many East Europeans have ethnic and cultural ties with Ukrainians ....they dont have the same ties with Syrians. So no its nothing to do with racism

giphy.gif

Bruce, perhaps you'd like to rephrase that into: They had no legal obligation to help the Syrians and sticking to treaties their request for asylum needs to be processed at their point of entry into the EU, not somewhere else.

Because the way you're writing it boils down to: Ya, I'm not racist, but they brown, so we ain't helping. :p

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The arrogance of Putin knows no bounds, now he is threatening both Sweden and Finland not to join NATO 

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/finland-sweden-brush-off-moscows-warning-joining-nato-83126927

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

Reportedly (i.e. grain of salt), there was a conscription in the weeks leading up to this war that forced a lot of untrained young men into Russia's invasion force after being told they would be held back for training only - might explain why there have been some reports (more grain of salt) of apparently (and thankfully) pathetic displays of army professionalism. Untrained boys who wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of this will do that - can't imagine how I would fare in the same situation.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Very big grain of salt on that, same as stories of large scale defections and the like (on either side).

Not the poor discipline, that's extremely believable and in some cases well documented, but it's unlikely to be because the soldiers were 'conscripts tricked into fighting' or whatever. Most of the claims in the buildup were of Russia building up professional troops, transferred from Siberia etc; claims of conscripts tended to be from those who thought Russia still had a conscript army and any build up would therefore be conscripts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zoraptor said:

Very big grain of salt on that, same as stories of large scale defections and the like (on either side).

Not the poor discipline, that's extremely believable and in some cases well documented, but it's unlikely to be because the soldiers were 'conscripts tricked into fighting' or whatever. Most of the claims in the buildup were of Russia building up professional troops, transferred from Siberia etc; claims of conscripts tended to be from those who thought Russia still had a conscript army and any build up would therefore be conscripts.

Yeah, I know, virtually everything is fake news at this point. However, I posted it more to highlight the human element of both sides here - never a bad idea to remind yourself that even the invading force of an army usually has a pretty large makeup of what are effectively very scared children.

• Sad 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Because the way you're writing it boils down to: Ya, I'm not racist, but they brown, so we ain't helping. :p

Many Syrians have white flesh tones. Just saying. Sometimes it just boils down to history and culture.

• Thanks 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Looks like Germany is reneging on their refusal to ban Russia from SWIFT. Still needs to pass the 27 member vote unanimously, but... signs point to it being back on the table. The cynic in me thinks it's time to invest in the Yuan. 

Giant spoiler:

Spoiler

Some German and Swiss banks already adopted SPFS as an alternative and can switch any time and China is more than capable of acting as an intermediary through CIPS. If you think a SWIFT ban is going to stop anyone of note from trading with Russia, think again...

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.