ranDom vIdeO game news

majestic

11 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Owlcat teased Starfinder as their next game today. I think it was today. Wait, what's today?

Well, that will make it that much easier for me to sit out this Owlcat KS campaign.

1 minute ago, kanisatha said:

Well, that will make it that much easier for me to sit out this Owlcat KS campaign.

Hah, Starfinder is the only appeal for me. The Pathfinder setting just feels like generic fantasy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Hah, Starfinder is the only appeal for me. The Pathfinder setting just feels like generic fantasy.

Actually I don't know anything about Starfinder. It's just that I have always been entirely about fantasy settings for my RPGs and have never cared to venture into sci-fi setting games. So there is the possibility that, without supporting the KS campaign, I will wait to see streams of the game after it is released and then possibly decide to give it a try.

1 hour ago, kanisatha said:

Actually I don't know anything about Starfinder. It's just that I have always been entirely about fantasy settings for my RPGs and have never cared to venture into sci-fi setting games. So there is the possibility that, without supporting the KS campaign, I will wait to see streams of the game after it is released and then possibly decide to give it a try.

Starfinder really doesn't have any science in it, so I'd have a hard time calling it scifi. It is nautical space fantasy.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Hurlsnot said:

Starfinder really doesn't have any science in it, so I'd have a hard time calling it scifi. It is nautical space fantasy.

Okay, good to know. But doesn't it have advanced tech, including directed energy weapons? According to what I've just now begun to read about the setting, it is in the same star system as Pathfinder's Golarion, but thousands of years in the future where Golarion has mysteriously disappeared from the system.

Just now, Hurlsnot said:

You know what? I'm dumb and was thinking of Spelljammer. Which is a shame, because my excitement is now gone. I wanted this:

Spelljammer_-_Pirates_of_Realmspace_Cove

Sorry for deflating your excitement. But for what it's worth, Spelljammer is one of the old D&D settings that is coming back, and according to the CEO of WotC they are planning on making video games in all of the active D&D settings. So at some point in the future you should get a Spelljammer game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

You know what? I'm dumb and was thinking of Spelljammer. Which is a shame, because my excitement is now gone. I wanted this:

Spelljammer_-_Pirates_of_Realmspace_Cove

I'll see your Spelljammer and I'll raise you Al-Qadim:

s-l640.jpg

I miss the days when D&D had a bunch of different setting. Sure, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance were fairly similar to one another, but there was also Al-Qadim, Spelljammer, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Ravenloft. And then everything just became Forgotten Realms, on the video game front, at least.

I miss Al-Qadim. ;(

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, Ravenloft was already back. And recently we had the announcement of the return of Spelljammer and Dragonlance this year. Here's all the recent D&D-related news, including title and release date for the D&D movie:

https://www.geekwire.com/2022/wizards-of-the-coast-reveals-upcoming-projects-for-dungeons-dragons/

https://www.polygon.com/23034058/dungeons-dragons-dnd-direct-movie-release-date-cast

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2022/02/dd-on-track-to-deliver-one-digital-release-a-year-starting-in-2023.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Give me Planescape!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Oner said:

Apparently Paizo denied it's Starfinder over on Reddit.

I was just going to post this myself. Yeah, on the Pathfinder reddit, Paizo officially posted that this game is NOT a Starfinder game. So, either it is another Pathfinder game using an AP with a space-y connection (people keep pointing to the Iron Gods AP), or, it could very well be a new Owlcat IP. Owlcat is not an extension of Paizo, and I can see them wanting to do something different that is their own creation.

A third of PS first-party releases are to make their way to PC by 2025 and Returnal might be coming to Steam, if SteamDB listings are to be trusted.

Shipbreaker came out of Early Access and is as entertaining as it was when I first played it. Still some wonky physics.

Hitman3 got Ray-tracing mode if one fancies cutting half to two thirds of their frames. I will take 144 FPS over 40-50 FPS, thank you.

12 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

starfinder doesn't looks much better at first glance

weird how all the planet are inhabited with theme appropriate counterpart of missing golarion innersea

but those bug with 4 arm certainly looks more interesting than short human or pointy ear human

The full story for Cyberpunk 2077's expansion was apparently leaked. Haven't looked at it myself (and I won't), and won't link it for obvious reasons, but apparently it's set in Pacifica, which is...meh, I guess? Certainly if it turns out there really will be only the one expansion. 

After setting up all the endings (well, except for *that* one, well, and *that* one too, duh ;) ) as semi-cliffhangers, so they can basically continue from them it would seem the story of V is going to get dropped on the floor after all. Big bummer.

Furthermore it would appear there is some serious unhappiness about how things are going at CDPR given that this got leaked. The ship, it it taking on water...

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, marelooke said:

The full story for Cyberpunk 2077's expansion was apparently leaked. Haven't looked at it myself (and I won't), and won't link it for obvious reasons, but apparently it's set in Pacifica, which is...meh, I guess?

That makes sense. Pacifica is light on content. Hearts of Stone added more quests and points of interest in the wilderness around Novigrad and in the city of Oxenfurt because both areas were light on content when the Witcher 3 launched. I wouldn't be surprised if the expansion also added stuff in the area where the nomad origin starts 'cause that's a whole map they made and only used once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

nice to see analysis of pen and ar system

in lower difficulty it work most of the time

the extra 2 on higher difficulty really hold the system back

maybe the system would fit better if it was less punishing for under pen

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, kanisatha said:

Sorry for deflating your excitement. But for what it's worth, Spelljammer is one of the old D&D settings that is coming back, and according to the CEO of WotC they are planning on making video games in all of the active D&D settings. So at some point in the future you should get a Spelljammer game.

Thats great news, I never DM in the Spelljammer universe. I created campaigns mostly in Forgotten Realms about 80% of the time but we also played in Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Ravenloft

So Spelljammer is something  that I have never experienced :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Thats great news, I never DM in the Spelljammer universe. I created campaigns mostly in Forgotten Realms about 80% of the time but we also played in Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Ravenloft

So Spelljammer is something  that I have never experienced :dancing:

I would guess that Greyhawk will be one of the two more settings to be brought back next year. D&D is now such a huge cash-cow for WotC and Hasbro and, since setting books and guides and gaming modules are all mainly being released in digital form and not physical form, they can go nuts pushing out a lot of new stuff. The demand is certainly there.

• Like 1