The All Things Political Topic - Those who do not move, do not notice their chains

Gromnir

In High School, I missed reading To Kill a Mockingbird (and Invisible ManNative Son and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings - all of which were, to my memory, on the reading list). I'm not sure why I missed reading them.  There must have been a list reshuffle between and during years, but to be honest, the only book I still remember reading from that year was Billy Budd, Sailor.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

same parental effort woulda' been better spent taking kids to the library on weekends or perhaps reading dear martin and then discussing the book with their kids.

HA! Good Fun!

God forbid! It's far easier to be angry than informed! :lol:

I've never read Native Son. It's been on my to-do list for decades. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/monett-high-school-removes-social-213807435.html

Parents, man. I think the teachers would have been alright if they didn't say the alternative assigned reading would be more difficult, but I still shake my head at the whole thing. Let's create a committee for every bit of curriculum. 

gun-to-head-nodding.gif

I think school children will  be fine missing out on this one, dont get me wrong it looks amazing but Im confident the school will find other books to help educate those young minds :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

During friday night, unidentified drones were spotted in the areas of all Swedens nuclear powerplants, Forsmark, Barsebäck, Ringhals and Oskarshamn. The Swedish police is investigating at the moment but they have no suspect.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/uppsala/stor-dronare-flog-over-forsmark-polisen-utreder-brott

With the Russians doing their thing it is hard to not suspect though nothing official has been said yet.

• Gasp! 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

12 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

During friday night, unidentified drones were spotted in the areas of all Swedens nuclear powerplants, Forsmark, Barsebäck, Ringhals and Oskarshamn. The Swedish police is investigating at the moment but they have no suspect.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/uppsala/stor-dronare-flog-over-forsmark-polisen-utreder-brott

With the Russians doing their thing it is hard to not suspect though nothing official has been said yet.

Strange that Sweden doesn't have some kind of perimeter defense against drones for such a high value target. Would there be anything to gain from drone reconnaissance in stead of satellites?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Strange that Sweden doesn't have some kind of perimeter defense against drones for such a high value target. Would there be anything to gain from drone reconnaissance in stead of satellites?

Well there are guards and other surveillance systems that did spot the drones, I don't know if there are any more immediate systems in place that weren't used because that'd be classified information.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

God forbid! It's far easier to be angry than informed! :lol:

I've never read Native Son. It's been on my to-do list for decades. 

has been a long time since we read native son and is not one o' those great books we wanna revisit. a goal o' the book were to make the reader uncomfortable and it succeeded, but am thinking the narrative suffered from beating the reader with the goal. unfortunate, while the novel brutal forced the audience to consider certain realities, bigger thomas weren't real. bigger did suffer from a shared american experience, and am suspecting many minorities could empathize with his anger, but the main character were a bit exaggerated. is a meaningful book, but is not at all subtle and it don't take a great deal o' reflection to understand themes and messaging, which am s'posing makes it good for high school students but a bit less compelling for those o' us so many decades removed from our high school years.

am indeed a bit more curious 'bout what is the books which high school kids need read these days. would be disappointed if is near identical to the lists we recall from forty years removed even if we know classics never go outta style... 'course at least half o' the "classics" we recall from high school were only 'bout three decades old.

am gonna acknowledge a trend in most o' the more contemporary books we approve: would be tough to get 'em approved by a school board. am an updike fan, but beyond the difficult read, most o' his stuff is adult fare. gabriel garcia marquez and don delllilo is also favored authors, but neither shied away from sex and 100 years o' solitude had the whole incest thing. nabokov? am recalling our high school librarian were delighted to learn we were interested in vladimir, but we would be shocked if lolita made it into the classroom as required reading and pale fire is not ez for grad students much less inner city high school kids.

converse, we believe the philip pullman books were underrated as literature and have mentioned previous how much we approve o' a few neil gaiman titles, but fantasy/scifi written for young audiences is unlikely to be approved for american high school teaching 'cause o' the taint all fantasy carries with academics... unless is green knight, beowulf, gilgamesh, the bible, etc. although am understanding a few schools teach the hobbit, maybe?

regardless, we would indeed be disappointed if our reading lists from high school looked little different from most 2021 high school reading lists.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

keep in mind, the guy speaking is offering what he believes to be the best legal defense for his clients. 

so the oathkeepers, no doubt many o' them well-read in the subject o' Constitutional law dealing with sedition, believes there is the possibility the President, unable to rely on standing US and national guard commanders, will invoke 18th and 19th century laws to call up militias to establish control at the Capitol. 

or

Six Oath Keepers Who Guarded Roger Stone Stormed the Capitol: NYT

same oathkeepers recent indicted were the folks identified in numerous media sources last year as roger stone body guards.

am not offering as evidence o' guilt, 'cause while has been more than a year, seditious conspiracy is not gonna be ez to prosecute and so far all we got is video from january 6 and a few tv and print news articles. however, is not difficult to see how the doj is moving up the food chain and given what we know o' john eastman plan for january six and the recent revealed powerpoint mark meadows were applauding in texts and sharing with gop and trump admin people, is taking little imagination to see a possible direction for the doj. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 1/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, BruceVC said:

@Gorth and @Chairchucker

You guys must have heard the shameful news, the Oz immigration minister has cancelled Djokovic's visa....he cant play now :(

I think this was a political decision to pander to the anti-Novak sentiment on the streets in Australia, its not how a decision like this should have been made 

I assume that first line was sarcasm, as you know that both of us think it is cool and good that Djokavic is getting deported.

17 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

I assume that first line was sarcasm, as you know that both of us think it is cool and good that Djokavic is getting deported.

You allowed to change your opinion, you can feel the treatment Novak experienced by the Oz authorities was selective and unfair?

And he may not be deported, final appeal today ?

https://news.yahoo.com/novak-djokovic-news-live-tennis-081441508.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

25 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

You allowed to change your opinion, you can feel the treatment Novak experienced by the Oz authorities was selective and unfair?

Well let's look at a few aspects of the context. Djokavic claimed to have gotten a positive test on 16 December. He also ticked 'no' on the question 'Have you travelled or will you travel in the 14 days prior to your flight to Australia?' Despite Serbia's rules requiring 14 days of isolation:

On 17 December he attended a ceremony unveiling a stamp in his honour (he claims that he hadn't yet seen the positive result at this point)

On 18 December he attended an interview and photoshoot in Belgrade (he admits that he had seen the positive test result but decided to go anyway because he'd made a commitment)

On 25 December he was pictured on the streets of Belgrade. (This was after a 22 December negative test, but within the 14 days in which he claimed not to have travelled.)

Meanwhile, we've got people who have been in a detention centre for up to 12 years for the crime of fleeing persecution or war or whatever. Yes, I think our Government is unfair, but crucially, NOT TO DJOKAVIC. Not even one iota. He is a lying, manipulative jerk, I'm glad he's getting kicked out. Don't waste your sympathy on Djokavic, there are more deserving recipients.

20 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Well let's look at a few aspects of the context. Djokavic claimed to have gotten a positive test on 16 December. He also ticked 'no' on the question 'Have you travelled or will you travel in the 14 days prior to your flight to Australia?' Despite Serbia's rules requiring 14 days of isolation:

On 17 December he attended a ceremony unveiling a stamp in his honour (he claims that he hadn't yet seen the positive result at this point)

On 18 December he attended an interview and photoshoot in Belgrade (he admits that he had seen the positive test result but decided to go anyway because he'd made a commitment)

On 25 December he was pictured on the streets of Belgrade. (This was after a 22 December negative test, but within the 14 days in which he claimed not to have travelled.)

Meanwhile, we've got people who have been in a detention centre for up to 12 years for the crime of fleeing persecution or war or whatever. Yes, I think our Government is unfair, but crucially, NOT TO DJOKAVIC. Not even one iota. He is a lying, manipulative jerk, I'm glad he's getting kicked out. Don't waste your sympathy on Djokavic, there are more deserving recipients.

Yes but lets not get distracted by people sitting in detention centres, we not talking about the Oz immigration system as much as the fact this is suppose to be about the virus and the overall Oz pandemic reality and the risk of an unvaccinated person playing at the tennis

You guys are 90% double vaccinated by your latest statistics, the chance of Novak spreading the virus and or creating a variant is very remote. Dont you think banning celebrities should be made on the actual medical risk and not be about politics and pandering to angry and frustrated  citizens in any country?

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-update-16-january-2022

John Milton 

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Yes but lets not get distracted by people sitting in detention centres, we not talking about the Oz immigration system as much as the fact this is suppose to be about the virus and the overall Oz pandemic reality and the risk of an unvaccinated person playing at the tennis

You guys are 90% double vaccinated by your latest statistics, the chance of Novak spreading the virus and or creating a variant is very remote. Dont you think banning celebrities should be made on the actual medical risk and not be about politics and pandering to angry and frustrated  citizens in any country?

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-vaccine-rollout-update-16-january-2022

Lets put it in another way, since you usually are a stickler for rules and legality of things. He flat out lied on his visa declaration. No entry. End of story.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

Lets put it in another way, since you usually are a stickler for rules and legality of things.

Not when it comes to any cult of personality person, that's fairly consistent. Rules are for the unwashed masses slaving away in the mines, and it is pepper spray for those stepping out of line. The elite? They can live by their own rules.

You know what that spells? :p

Spoiler

F-A-S-C-I-S-T. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not when it comes to any cult of personality person, that's fairly consistent. Rules are for the unwashed masses slaving away in the mines, and it is pepper spray for those stepping out of line. The elite? They can live by their own rules.

You know what that spells? :p

Reveal hidden contents

F-A-S-C-I-S-T. :yes:

I thought one of your NY resolutions was to not call me a fascist? You not doing very well :grin:

John Milton 

https://fareedzakaria.com/columns/2022/1/14/politics-is-trumping-economics-it-might-end-badly

Here is an excellent read how politics, or rather ideology, is  ostensibly becoming more important than the economic reality in many countries like China, Turkey and Chile

John Milton 

3 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

He can do some pretty incredible things with a tennis racket & ball. I fully believe he can alter energy and matter with his mind. :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Djokovic is Tom Cruise.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

55 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

If you think this is crazy, you should read the things his wife said.

• Gasp! 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

If you think this is crazy, you should read the things his wife said.

Time to go down the rabbit hole.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

36 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I thought only Tom Cruise could do that

I don't think Tom Cruise actually alters matter with his mind as much as he's channeling Xenu's power through his medal of valor.

Tom_Cruise_Valor.jpg

He's a priest rather than a mage.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 1/15/2022 at 9:46 AM, Azdeus said:

https://www.gp.se/nyheter/sverige/uppgifter-förhöjd-hotbild-efter-drönarobsevationer-1.63931770

So a black painted winged drone was captured on film above Stockholm on saturday, and SÄPO(Swedish Security Service) has taken over investigations from the police.

• Thanks 1