What are you Playing Now? Games = Life

Amentep

8 minutes ago, melkathi said:

And then people wonder why nice guys feel entitled to a date for being nice guys ;)

You make me laugh :grin:

Its Romance in a RPG, it is limited in certain  aspects of realism. But in all RPG I have ever Romanced companions in you do need to win the trust and respect of your prospective dates 💞

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Planescape Torment, apparently you can avoid combat in it but I did use combat and its got an amazing narrative 

And their are semi-Romance arcs  but not true Romance 

Yes I've played this, and also the new Torment game from inXile which is also minimal combat that mostly can be avoided. :)

40 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Yes I've played this, and also the new Torment game from inXile which is also minimal combat that mostly can be avoided. :)

What was Numenera  like? To be honest I prefer combat based RPG so I have been reluctant to  get this game ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tales of Arise:

Well, that 2nd big bad was that ramp up I was expecting. I mean, sure, if you've largely mastered the button-mashing/timing/speed/evading and visual/noise chaos of "wtf is happening?!"  and all of that I'm sure it's not the worst, so don't get me wrong here. But if you're a lazy fart like me...haha.  Huge sponges, one-shotting - typical battle of mega-attrition, consumable use (AI likes to eat all those up if you let them, btw) etc.

That said, still liking the general game. Maybe I just like collecting things/finding all the lootz.

---there are cats in the gameworld, and somewhat prominent at one point. This makes the game score in my head automatically go up by at least half a point.
---so far most the side-quests are no better than the ones in FFXV. "Kill things threatening my farm," very simple things. But at least you often get skill points or recipes or outfit recolors for doing them.
---said side quests can pop up in previous areas later, so check those maps for the icons occasionally.
---some things are poorly explained, like accessory crafting/upgrading. I had to look it up. And for some reason I didn't realize herb affects were permanent until I read it somewhere. I guess I should use those, then   >.>

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm in the middle of a murder investigation and what am I spending my time on? Chasing down "UFOs", finding a new owner for a cat, and, most importantly, helping the Seiryo Rabbits win a dance competition. Priorities. :-

RGG added a skateboard in this game that lets you get around the city much faster. I mean Yakuza games have always had fast travel via taxi but I never use that and I don't even use the sketeboard right now. Early on in RGG games I like to take my time and walk around because the cities are so well crafted. RGG are second to none in this area. Novigrad in TW3 is the best non-RGG city I can think of in terms of feeling like a real city, but Kamurocho is on another level and Ijincho is even better. The attention to detail is just insane. What really puts it over the top is the sound design, the ambient sounds. The noise of traffic, a train going by, music fading in and out as you pass by an open window, conversation just on the edge of hearing, the sizzle of a street food being cooked, I can practicaly taste the takoyaki. 

I think part of it is because Kamurocho, Sotenbori, and Ijincho are relatively small when compared to something you'd find in an Ubisoft or Rockstar game, for example. It's easier to concentrate on detail when you have a smaller area to work on. I'll take a smaller but exceptionally crafted sandbox over a larger decently crafted one, but that's just me.

Anyway, I'm off to catch a panty thief scaling a building...

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

TBH i did't liked Numenera much, i think I might already shared it here but it felt like everything had to be 'weird' for sake of it being weird. Strangely I never had that feeling with Planescape while it was really weird setting - but somehow dialogs felt much more not forced or unnatural.

Anyway after while of not playing it I am back in Grim Dawn - have you guys ever heard of it? I can tell you many things about it!

• Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

23 hours ago, BruceVC said:

What was Numenera  like? To be honest I prefer combat based RPG so I have been reluctant to  get this game ?

I liked the game, and am hoping them will make a second one because I felt everything that was lacking in the first game was clearly due to a budget that was way too small relative to the game's vision and ambition, and also obviously then a development timeline that was also too short.

Yeah the combat sucked (TB, so that may be personal), but you could evade the combat through dialog choices in most cases (inlcuding the final endgame encounter). The gameplay was very simplistic, though it had the potential to be something good. It felt like someone took a good idea and then chopped off like 70% of it because of cost. A ton of reading, which I liked but many others did not. The parts I personally liked a lot were the story, characters, and the world. And since those things are what matter most to me, that's why I ended up okay with the game, and even regretted that it was too short.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I liked the game, and am hoping them will make a second one because I felt everything that was lacking in the first game was clearly due to a budget that was way too small relative to the game's vision and ambition, and also obviously then a development timeline that was also too short.

Yeah the combat sucked (TB, so that may be personal), but you could evade the combat through dialog choices in most cases (inlcuding the final endgame encounter). The gameplay was very simplistic, though it had the potential to be something good. It felt like someone took a good idea and then chopped off like 70% of it because of cost. A ton of reading, which I liked but many others did not. The parts I personally liked a lot were the story, characters, and the world. And since those things are what matter most to me, that's why I ended up okay with the game, and even regretted that it was too short.

Thanks, based on this feedback and others I feel I can skip this game 8)

John Milton 

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Thanks, based on this feedback and others I feel I can skip this game 8)

Maybe give it a try if you find it for a couple of bucks? It is pretty short so it won't cost you much playtime.

inXile is currently confirmed to be actively working on two AAA RPGs using the UE5 engine. One is confirmed to be a new IP steampunk game, possibly along the lines of Arcanum. About the second nothing is known. So I am hoping the second game is something using the Numenera setting, though probably not a direct sequel to T:ToN. Perhaps something along the same lines as Obsidian's Avowed: a game using the same world as T:ToN but a completely new IP with new gameplay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

Maybe give it a try if you find it for a couple of bucks? It is pretty short so it won't cost you much playtime.

inXile is currently confirmed to be actively working on two AAA RPGs using the UE5 engine. One is confirmed to be a new IP steampunk game, possibly along the lines of Arcanum. About the second nothing is known. So I am hoping the second game is something using the Numenera setting, though probably not a direct sequel to T:ToN. Perhaps something along the same lines as Obsidian's Avowed: a game using the same world as T:ToN but a completely new IP with new gameplay.

Thanks for information.  I enjoy inXile games, I had a great time with Bards Tale 4 so any new games from them will  be on my radar  8)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Tales of Arise:

---story from the start/for some long hours...predictable but serviceable as a container, but I wasn't loving the overall writing style and it wasn't making me feel anything or curious about anyone/thing, really.
---then suddenly ... wham. That took a bit of a turn. Still predictable, mind.  But some good sequences helped a lot. I'm now invested! Well, more than before anyway. And at least am now much more curious about a few things.
---some of the skits are returning to humor and amusing characterization stuff. Not a lot, still mostly repetition or lore dumping, but that also helps.
---it was nice to leave the brown and blue/white of desert/snow behind.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Giving Gamedec a break before I do another playthrough, just burning through FM18 some more. Led Brno to their 5th consecutive trophy and 3rd cup, woo.  Guess will get on with tackling Caesar 4.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Ticket To Earth. It was fun enough as a match 3 turn based light rpg. The writing wasn't all that great though.

Started Deity Quest again. Decided to name my followers based on forum people here. Then Marelooke died pretty much right out of the tutorial and I felt bad, so started over and not naming followers based on you lot.

• Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Tried to play Calico, which I got from a bundle on Itch. It looks like the game is supposed to be cute, but it feels a bit surreal.

Started Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. So far so good, though, the game is closer to Aragami (if it had combat) than to Dark Souls.

(You'll have to imagine everything overlapping each other constantly+loud sound effects, sometimes drowning each other out...)

It's on! You're mine! Out of our way!
Elusive Deity! Rotating Piledriver!
This ends now! Rising Phoenix!
Annialhation! Death Bolt!
Stalagmite! Resonate with the Earth! Stalagmite! Resonate with the Earth!
Stay away from my friends! Hold nothing back! Azure Storm!
A thrilling performance! Raging Lunar Storm!
Gemini Aqua! Flame of Fury!
Benediction Light. Shine, Radiant Light.
Demon Fang! Double Demon Fang!
Armor won't save you! Crush!
Another incantation ruined. (casting interrupted)
I'm such a failure. (KO'd/dying)
Magma Ray! ... Back into the fray. I'll bring you back from deaths abyss. (resurrection spell)
Talon Hurricane! Now I'm in the groove!
Catapult! Searing Flame! I never miss! Tempest!
Now I'm real mad! Swallow Blade! Eat this!
Regeneration! Regenerate!
I won't lose, not now, not ever. Rising Wyvern! Mirage!
I'll grind you into dust! Devastation!
Swallow Dance! I'll tear you apart!
Behold! The Earth's Pulse! Tectonic Vision!  (special big attack)

(....I don't think I've ever played a game with so much constant audio "noise" in 90-120 second fights, it's like being in a small room full of people trying to outshout each other - wonder if I'll think other games are too darn quiet, now)

Re: the game itself, currently amusing myself with grinding for a few chr. levels and some crafting material as a break from just plowing through the linear plot.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

(You'll have to imagine everything overlapping each other constantly+loud sound effects, sometimes drowning each other out...)

Magma Ray! ... Back into the fray. I'll bring you back from deaths abyss. (resurrection spell)

(....I don't think I've ever played a game with so much constant audio "noise" in 90-120 second fights, it's like being in a small room full of people trying to outshout each other - wonder if I'll think other games are too darn quiet, now)

Re: the game itself, currently amusing myself with grinding for a few chr. levels and some crafting material as a break from just plowing through the linear plot.

Sounds like some good power metal lyrics.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Deltarune 2. Will I ever get tired of Toby Fox and his ridiculous Undertale shtick? Almost certainly not, because this stupid crap is great.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Got BL3, tried playing it but isn't as fun without my friends.  Don't really like any of the classes that much either.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

That's a trademark of all Tales of games 😄

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I finally realized that yeah, those artes (skills, spells) all my chrs are using level up.  There are five star rankings. To get a new star the chr. has to use the specific arte a certain number of times, ever increasing (100, 500, 1000, 2000 etc). Increases damage, occasionally unlocks a new arte or an improved version of the arte. But the AI is terrible about this, even if you uncheck most of them so it can only pick from/use a few.

Thus I spent the last two days controlling the two chrs. I like to be "leader" (I control them) trying to manually spam-fight mobs just to raise 4 or 5 each of their skills. One skill or skill combo, done over and over and over and over. Ffffffffffffffffffff....it's definitely faster than the Ai would ever do, but still takes forever, especially spells with longer delays. Plus it's boring...got a few to three stars at least.  I guess 5 star in many skills for all the characters would be an end-game grind. 

Maybe I could try using only two in the party so enemies wouldn't die as fast/you could spam more attacks each combat...

Edited by LadyCrimson

58 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I finally realized that yeah, those artes (skills, spells) all my chrs are using level up.  There are five star rankings. To get a new star the chr. has to use the specific arte a certain number of times, ever increasing (100, 500, 1000, 2000 etc). Increases damage, occasionally unlocks a new arte or an improved version of the arte. But the AI is terrible about this, even if you uncheck most of them so it can only pick from/use a few.

Thus I spent the last two days controlling the two chrs. I like to be "leader" (I control them) trying to manually spam-fight mobs just to raise 4 or 5 each of their skills. One skill or skill combo, done over and over and over and over. Ffffffffffffffffffff....it's definitely faster than the Ai would ever do, but still takes forever, especially spells with longer delays. Plus it's boring...got a few to three stars at least.  I guess 5 star in many skills for all the characters would be an end-game grind. 

Maybe I could try using only two in the party so enemies wouldn't die as fast/you could spam more attacks each combat...

The level up of spells is again a trademark sign of Tales of games. But it is by no means needed for a first and single playthrough. This is just for completionists, who want to go after NG+ and further, and clear all of the most dangerous enemies in the game, which is usually to hard without crazy grind in the first playthrough.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

6 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

But it is by no means needed for a first and single playthrough.

Yeah, especially when you're just playing on "normal."  😄  I'm not even quite half-way through the main story yet I think.

But I'm a stubborn jack--- and I am going to get all my fave artes to star-3 or 4 at least, darnit. I spent days and days and days killing that giant damage impervious mech in FFXV so I could have 6+ of the top accessory (on console no less) and this game's grind will not defeat mecoh-nerd1.png  

Besides, I have the perfect spot for farming skills on mobs over and over.  (you don't get much XP btw for repeated farming, purely about lvling those artes...).   edit: on the bright side, all the things mobs drops is making me 'rich.'

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

*yawns, blinks blearily*

...two artes at 4 star, several at three star, a smattering at 2 star.
...5.5 chr. levels gained (not a lot considering the hours spent), meaning I'm a bit over-leveled for where I am, now. 😛
...player's combat ability/understanding improved a lot from pure repetition. Still totally suck at evading, but have figured out pulling only r-trigger makes chr. spin to one side a bit to avoid, so that helped (no two-button/two hand pressing).
...upped difficulty to Moderate (there's Story, Normal, Moderate, Hard - 1 other I forget) and can now auto-combat defeat some stronger special enemies. Which is great when you want to video record stuff with the HUD disabled.
...time to progress story a little further.
...having all the party members increases their humor/personality interactions, making them all feel a bit more "there".

Yup, maybe it took a little while to seriously warm up to it, but I'm lovin' this game. Still nowhere near as much silly fun as FFXV but it still hits my obsessive-brain.

Edited by LadyCrimson