The TV and Streaming Thread: Series 5

Amentep

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Watched the 2 episodes of Foundation... Of all the original material the decided to do their own story...

Apparently they're basing the entire first season off about the first 100 pages of the first "story" within the Foundation book.  Trying to focus on explaining and setting up the universe, the Foundation, and what it all means before they start having to change multiple characters across 500 odd years.

• Confused 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 minute ago, Raithe said:

Apparently they're basing the entire first season off about the first 100 pages of the first "story" within the Foundation book.  Trying to focus on explaining and setting up the universe, the Foundation, and what it all means before they start having to change multiple characters across 500 odd years.

That is like amazon taking the Wheel of Time, and doing the first season from the prologue of Eye of the World. It would be cool for sure, but the only person who could do it justice story wise is dead... Some arrogant people working on this show if they think they are on Asimov's level...

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I ike how Rich thinks everyone is going to hate him for ranking Halloween so low, when in reality he reveals himself as a hack fraud right off the bat, and Jay isn't much better. How can you not like Dark Star?

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I have finished TOS just in time. Pretty good imo, even if there were more than a few episodes that did not age well or were just not good in general. 3rd best Trek series.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I haven't seen anything yet that has convinced me TOS isn't the top for me personally.

TNG The Chase. The last two thirds are fun, but the first third is overly serious and somewhat silly (the professor expects the person who walked out on him at the beginning of his career to throw everything away at the peak? Why the one ship exploded is never explained as everyone is surprised by it but it goes nowhere as a plot point and ultimately the whole thing about the peace conference is unnecessary as it also gets handwaved away as a complication - as scientific explorers there's no reason the Enterprise couldn't have just straight up been assigned to the mission and give more time for the fun stuff. At least we get a Norman Lloyd appearance...)

Remainder of the story is a fun run-around with attempted double-crosses. Linda Thorson's Cardassian Gul is fun - pity she never reoccured - and John Cothran's Klingon Captain gets a lot of amusing lines. 

Troi's in uniform again.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

15 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I haven't seen anything yet that has convinced me TOS isn't the top for me personally

For me it's neck and neck with TNG. I think TOS had much less frequency of bad episodes (accounting for it being half the size of TNG), but TNG had more episodes that were very memorable and good. DS9 takes the top spot, Voyager hits number four (and is a big drop off from the others), while any other series I don't like enough to watch.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hollywood Reporter - Babylon 5 reboot in the works at CW

Trying to imagine B5 with the CW unnecessary teen-hotness factor applied.

Kosh, but with abs...

G'kar and Londo skewing sexual tension...

Talia and Ivonava dropping the "sub" from subtext...

And of course, Vir just being an all-around hot mess...

Edited by Raithe
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Raithe said:

Hollywood Reporter - Babylon 5 reboot in the works at CW

Trying to imagine B5 with the CW unnecessary teen-hotness factor applied.

Kosh, but with abs...

G'kar and Londo skewing sexual tension...

Talia and Ivonava dropping the "sub" from subtext...

And of course, Vir just being an all-around hot mess...

Why can't they leave things alone.

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Why can't they leave things alone.

Given that JMS is behind it again, I'm okay with him doing it.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Chris Roberts was behind the WC movie too 😛

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

This is what is giving me confidence.

I wish the some of the old Trek people were in charge of nuTrek but if wishes were horses then this would be a terrible episode of DS9

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

To be blunt, Babylon 5 was in dire need of a rewrite from the point it was completed. S4&5 weren't completely awful at the time but are an utter mess on rewatch, and S1 has a lot of bad filler episodes. With JMS on board it's one series where I'd welcome a remake.

Ironically, the only episode in the last two seasons I unreservedly liked was the one with the earth reporter making Sheridan et al look bad, as a meta observations about how the 'heroes' were presented. Very high highs in the series and it isn't that hard to fix the lows assuming a fixed order and no worries about being prematurely cancelled (or being told you're cancelled, then getting a surprise 11th hour renewal), or losing your lead without much prerequisite build up. 

J. Michael Straczynski Explains Babylon 5 CW Reboot (gizmodo.com)

“Heraclitus wrote ‘You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.’ In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question,” Stracynzski tweeted. “If I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, from Patricia Tallman's social media:

A lot of you are talking about the #Babylon5 news. A reboot is in the works with JMS at the helm. Joe has been in touch with a bunch of us and let us know he wants us in the show. No deals have been made. We have no idea what is in the script, or what the focus of the new show would be. He will reveal that when he is ready!

• Like 1