Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

21 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

No they got in about 8 o’clock last night and left about 8 o’clock this morning. They couldn’t get gone fast enough. I had to insist on making them breakfast. They said they would get something on the road. Whatever.

Sorry to hear but at least that  great meat wont go to waste. During this lockdown, and the fact I am single, I have on several occasions cooked a whole roast, different types of meat,  just for myself 🐷 

So  I  eat it for lunch on Sunday or Saturday  and then I have delicious leftovers for sandwiches for the next 3-5 days so nothing is wasted 🥘

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I can confirm all this is true:

215242534_4159420350822010_3495869972548

I love watermelon. I grow it every year in my garden. I still have 7 left on the vine. Those are all mine!  

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Fruits aren't gendered.  It doesn't take away from the possibility that oblong watermelons vs round being sweeter (that does seem to hold true from what I've read), but why not just say "oblong" vs "round" rather than "male" vs "female"?

(Fruits are grown from the female part of the plant's anatomy, and are IIRC essentially a pollinated, ripened ovary)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

38 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Fruits are grown from the female part of the plant's anatomy, and are IIRC essentially a pollinated, ripened ovary

I shall never eat a fruit again.

Got a bunch of doubles last week, so have been living off those.  Filling at the very least.  Still remain surprised no one's tried to set up a shop for these downtown or a food truck.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Fruits aren't gendered.  It doesn't take away from the possibility that oblong watermelons vs round being sweeter (that does seem to hold true from what I've read), but why not just say "oblong" vs "round" rather than "male" vs "female"?

(Fruits are grown from the female part of the plant's anatomy, and are IIRC essentially a pollinated, ripened ovary)

Yeah I had never heard of that part either. I think it’s some colloquial term

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Fruits aren't gendered. 

Gender is a construct set up by the patriarchy and imposed on fruits as a means of control. :shifty:

• Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

20 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Gender is a construct set up by the patriarchy and imposed on fruits as a means of control. :shifty:

Do you get white, fruit privlidege? Surly you do :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Yeah I had never heard of that part either. I think it’s some colloquial term

Probably I guess, it was in quotes.  But we don't get many chances to drop "oblong" into casual conversation, either, so why deny an obvious one?

• Haha 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Life hack: If you're in McDonald's getting chicken nuggets ask them for a cup of the spicy chili sauce they use on the new spicy chicken sandwich. That sauce is awesome and has just the right amount of heat.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Weekend brings much joy and revelry which translates in this time of lockdown to English Breakfast time. Today I am  cooking eggs, ham ( no bacon ), pork sausage, toast and an onion and tomato salsa mix 

So its basically another healthy, almost Vegan breakfast again. I say almost Vegan because I am including ham, eggs and pork sausage so its not completely Vegan ....but its the thought that counts :thumbsup:

John Milton 

The In-N-Out close to me has calmed down quite a bit to the point going is actually feasible. The burger is really good (assuming you get it animal style, otherwise it's missing something) but the fries ain't all that and the shakes aren't anything to write home about.

Anyways I went to Freebirds and had a brisket burrito bowl. Pretty good. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

if you do not order your burger animal style, at the very least add the following phrase to any burger order: mustard-grilled.

and yeah, the fries is kinda uninspired.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I get double doubles animal style and then I take the pickles off and throw them as hard as I possibly can. I can't do pickles on burgers for reasons of taste, fashion, and sanity but I also find it hard to just ask for no pickles. I'm complicated.

I'm also not very big on fries.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I get double doubles animal style and then I take the pickles off and throw them as hard as I possibly can. I can't do pickles on burgers for reasons of taste, fashion, and sanity

Reported for bad taste.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

51 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I get double doubles animal style and then I take the pickles off and throw them as hard as I possibly can. I can't do pickles on burgers for reasons of taste, fashion, and sanity but I also find it hard to just ask for no pickles. I'm complicated.

I'm also not very big on fries.

:ban:

• Like 1

as a former resident o' iv and a frequent visitor at the original freebirds location, we will observe how the order o' a brisket burrito bowl from a freebirds is, from our pov, an offense against the food gods. the original el freebird's location were having an order counter and indoor seating along the window capable o' handling five customers. tiny. bright white. spartan. good burritos, but honestly, size were the main appeal. 

we do like pickles on our usual order from in n' out: double-double animal style.

different strokes.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the iv nostalgia piece leaves out the egghead, one o' our top three all-time breakfast joints, and am gonna quibble 'bout woodstock 'cause that were the pizza location if you wanted cheap beer, and Gromnir don't drink. giovanni's pretty much won best iv/sb pizza every year for more than a decade, and while it weren't great pizza, it were much better than woodstock's. aside: sam's to go default were heavy-handed with the pickles.

pps 'course now am thinking o' our favorite berkeley eateries...

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, Keyrock said:

What kind of monster doesn't put pickles on a burger? 🤪

I always assumed this was illegal in most US states?

John Milton 

am open-minded 'bout most food preferences. however, harry callahan and Gromnir both agree on at least one unforgivable.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Gasp! 1

19 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am open-minded 'bout most food preferences. however, harry callahan and Gromnir both agree on at least one unforgivable.

HA! Good Fun!

A hotdog isnt a hotdog without  Tomato sauce Gromnir, you can use other sauces like mustard or chilli sauce but Tomato sauce is a must 

And stop calling Tomato sauce Ketchup !!!!

John Milton 

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

A hotdog isnt a hotdog without  Tomato sauce Gromnir, you can use other sauces like mustard or chilli sauce but Tomato sauce is a must 

And stop calling Tomato sauce Ketchup !!!!

Tomato ketchup is, technically, a tomato sauce, but not all tomato sauces qualify as tomato ketchup. However, ketchup is typically used as a condiment.

Not all ketchup has to be Tomato, either. The original English preparations used mushrooms to make the ketchup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Tomato ketchup is, technically, a tomato sauce, but not all tomato sauces qualify as tomato ketchup. However, ketchup is typically used as a condiment.

Not all ketchup has to be Tomato, either. The original English preparations used mushrooms to make the ketchup.

Thats interesting, I didnt realize that. I thought you Americans just called Tomato sauce Ketchup 

We use Tomato sauce extensively on chips and with fish and most meals. So in almost all breakfast restaurants, like the Wimpy franchise, you find a bottle of Tomato sauce on the table. I always forget the distinction in the USA when I have been their and I remember my last visit in Vegas I was at the MGM food court and  I asked the table next to me " if they finished with the tomato sauce could I use it " .....they looked at me confused and then someone said "oh, he means the Ketchup " :biggrin:

Their are several brands in SA but this is what is the best overall 

https://www.defarmer.co.za/product/all-gold-tomato-sauce-700ml/

John Milton 

1 minute ago, Keyrock said:

#TeamSauerkrautOnHotDogs

That does work, we also add fried  onions to our hotdogs and then I normally add 2 x different sauces 🌭

John Milton