The New Drinking Thread

Amentep

16 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I splurged for the good stuff:

MLWjGJJ.jpeg

Best vodka money can buy IMHO.

I wonder if that's available in Australia... 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 5/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, Keyrock said:

I splurged for the good stuff:

MLWjGJJ.jpeg

Best vodka money can buy IMHO.

🤔 I remember moonshiners discussing these things and looking down on taters something bad. Like, you only use them if you really can't get grain at all because taste is 🤮

I'm not a big vodka drinker, but as I understand it, potatoes are harder to work with than grain so if the distiller is going to try to make it as neutral as possible then it's better to go with grains but if you want flavor, and I don't mean the flavored vodkas, to go with potatoes. At least, that's what I was told by a local distiller so take it with a potato of salt.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I'm not a big vodka drinker, but as I understand it, potatoes are harder to work with than grain so if the distiller is going to try to make it as neutral as possible then it's better to go with grains but if you want flavor, and I don't mean the flavored vodkas, to go with potatoes. At least, that's what I was told by a local distiller so take it with a potato of salt.

That is also how I understand it. Making vodka from grains is a lot more foolproof, which is why the vast majority of vodkas are grain vodkas. You have to really know what you're doing to make a potato vodka and not screw it up.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Proper no. Twelve Irish whisky. It's decent, not much else to say about it. My local ABC Spirits has a rather meager selection of Irish whisky, it was Prop 12, Jameson, or some raw sewage.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My latest batch of mead just finished brewing. I switched up the formula this time, adding blueberries and lemongrass rather than raspberries and mint. Time will tell in terms of the flavor, I need to let it mellow for a while, but from the glass I tasted I suspect removing mint was a mistake. I'm still experimenting so it's all good. In terms of potency I think I finally hit my target. I've been aiming for around 9 - 10 % ABV and I think I'm right around that, maybe slightly stronger, basically typical wine strength (11 - 12%).

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I currently have a bottle of Absolute Vodka in the cupboard. I'm not a big vodka drinker, but it's Ok for mixing with orange juice or whatever.

Ironically, there is one vodka I really do like (just like Roku Gin is the one gin I really like as is) and that is a domestic product made in South Australia (St. Agnes Silver). Sadly it's impossible to get outside South Australia unless you order it online and have it shipped to you. The St. Agnes distillery also makes a Brandy that is as good as any good Cognac. Same deal though, you have to pay for shipping to get it . Not so much an issue for the Brandy, when you pay close to $1000 AUD for a 40y old Brandy, the shipping is trivial

ST AGNES SILVER VODKA 700ML - Spirits - Vodka - Aussie Liquor Discounts  Perth Western Australia

St Agnes XO Grand Reserve 40 Year Old 700mL - Booze House

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I bought a bottle of this just for the novelty. I dont even drink rum:

7906e1fef87b5049d87614a8711951610d9fa4ae

That's the rum I used to make rum raisins a while back. My bottle didn't attack Illinois, though. The rum & cokes I made with the rest were quite tasty. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

You probably already know but Kraken comes in the normal 90 proof (45% ABV) and 94 proof (47% ABV). Theres 19 versions of the limited edition: Kraken® Attacks Collection | New Limited Edition Bottle (krakenrum.com) Looks like the promotion ended in 2021, which explains why the bottle was covered in duct when I found it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

You probably already know but Kraken comes in the normal 90 proof (45% ABV) and 94 proof (47% ABV). Theres 19 versions of the limited edition: Kraken® Attacks Collection | New Limited Edition Bottle (krakenrum.com) Looks like the promotion ended in 2021, which explains why the bottle was covered in duct when I found it.

Ooh... Kraken Black Rum... any Kraken Black Rum :wub:

Mi Familia Flores Reposado Cristalino Tequila.

This is easily among the best tequilas I have had. Easily destroys most competitors in the price category. Very strong recommend.

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

My bottle didn't attack Illinois, though.

How disappointing.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

58 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

How disappointing.

Yes. I had the 94 proof variety, so had I drank the whole bottle at once perhaps I would have been ready to attack Illinois. Although, I probably would have been more inclined to attack the District of Columbia. It's closer and a lot more worthy of attacking.:-

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

31 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Yes. I had the 94 proof variety, so had I drank the whole bottle at once perhaps I would have been ready to attack Illinois. Although, I probably would have been more inclined to attack the District of Columbia. It's closer and a lot more worthy of attacking.:-

Look, I don't care where a Kaiju attacks so long as it does. The Kraken can go after Illinois, DC, or the small English town of West York****mesitershire and I will be equally satisfied.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Look, I don't care where a Kaiju attacks so long as it does. The Kraken can go after Illinois, DC, or the small English town of West York****mesitershire and I will be equally satisfied.

Illinois is a weird state for a Kraken to attack, not exactly an overabundance of seaside cities. I suppose it could attack Chicago, but how much damage could a Kraken do to Chicago? Waterfront properties, sure, but any Chicagoan at least 1/4 mile inland can just laugh at the Kraken while eating kielbasa. Now, King Ghidorah, on the other hand, could **** Chicago up!

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Illinois is a weird state for a Kraken to attack, not exactly an overabundance of seaside cities. I suppose it could attack Chicago, but how much damage could a Kraken do to Chicago? Waterfront properties, sure, but any Chicagoan at least 1/4 mile inland can just laugh at the Kraken while eating kielbasa. Now, King Ghidorah, on the other hand, could **** Chicago up!

The Kraken will have learned to fly, will bring the water with it, or will be capable of manipulating spacetime to attack kielbasa eaters somehow. I don't know, I didn't make the bottle so it's not my responsibility to make the Kraken attack happen. But it needs to happen.

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

The Kraken will have learned to fly, will bring the water with it, or will be capable of manipulating spacetime to attack kielbasa eaters somehow. I don't know, I didn't make the bottle so it's not my responsibility to make the Kraken attack happen. But it needs to happen.

We're not even 1 Kraken attack in and you're already jumping the shark? Come on, you don't pull ridiculous stunts like these until at least the 3rd or 4th kaiju attack. We need to keep this grounded and gritty at the start. Forget Illinois, it's not going to work. I got this. Venice. Eh? Eh? Kraken could wreck Venice and we don't even need it to have any special, non-Kraken specific powers. Just imagine the Kraken scooping up a gondola with one of its tentacles and hurling it into a crowd of terrified Venetians. *chef kiss*

• Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Never say never...

Lovecraft Country' - Episode 1 Review & Recap

25 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

We're not even 1 Kraken attack in and you're already jumping the shark? Come on, you don't pull ridiculous stunts like these until at least the 3rd or 4th kaiju attack. We need to keep this grounded and gritty at the start. Forget Illinois, it's not going to work. I got this. Venice. Eh? Eh? Kraken could wreck Venice and we don't even need it to have any special, non-Kraken specific powers. Just imagine the Kraken scooping up a gondola with one of its tentacles and hurling it into a crowd of terrified Venetians. *chef kiss*

Blame the makers of Kraken rum, they're the ones who think a Kraken attack on Illinois made sense.

Since you mentioned sharks.......KRAKENADO. Not only does it tie in to an already existing trope of a tornado pelting people with aquatic monsters but Chicago is known for being windy so it fits. So we go a tornado, which the Kraken may or may not control, which will carry the Kraken around Illinois so it can terrorize everyone. Sounds like a perfect setup to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno what it's called but I was at a party and had a ****tail that was brown sugar bourbon, coconut milk, orgeat, and a little vanilla extract. Was garnished with a maraschino cherry and some charred cinnamon sticks. Going to try to make it at home.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Old fashioned with brown sugar syrup, chocolate bitters, and Chesnut Farms bourbon. I dig them.

• Like 1