What Are You Playing Now: The Other Thread

Amentep

Trying to make a dent in the free games Epic has been giving out.

Started with Alan Wake. It's... not any good. The beginning was promising - insteresting gimmick, a cheesy Stephen King-ish story with all the subtelty of... well, Stephen King. But after first major chapter it becomes so repetitive and boring. 

• Like 1

MechWarrior 5 has some major problems. Main one is probably your lancemates' AI. We are supposed to defend a base and they run through the buildings. Of course that could have been less of an issue if the devs had designed the base layouts with a street leading through, so that you can reach the other side when the enemies spawn on that side for the next wave.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Yeah, from what I've read, AI and spawns are just not up to snuff. Giant stompy robots shouldn't just "spawn on the other side" of a base. Reinforcements should be seen coming from miles away, giving you time to circle around to meet them. I thought Mechwarrior games were supposed to lean more towards simulation than arcade shooter. I guess if you're not constantly blowing **** up people get bored and nobody will stream your game, or something.

I really hope modders will come through as they did for BATTLETECH and by the time the EGS exclusivity thing is over the game will be well on its way to getting to where it should have been.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

10 hours ago, 213374U said:

Yeah, from what I've read, AI and spawns are just not up to snuff. Giant stompy robots shouldn't just "spawn on the other side" of a base. Reinforcements should be seen coming from miles away, giving you time to circle around to meet them.

Spawning on the other side of the base is, from my experience, a bit of a misconception created by extremely bad radar/map mechanics. A lot of the times I have noticed enemies are spawning far away. But I need to be staring in the right direction, at the right time, hitting R to cycle targets for my targeting to pick them up and then possibly have them appear on the radar for a moment. If I miss that window, they won't appear on my radar until it is too late and they have already engaged. That way they give the impression of having spawned right inside the base I am defending. In reality they kept out of line of sight which kept them off the radar.

And it is extremely annoying that the npc shouts "You have hostiles incoming" but does not give me a direction.

I have though fairly often shot down VTOLs and blown up tanks before they ever had a chance to appear as a blip, because I was looking in the right direction and noticed them (or, in the case of tanks, because they had started shooting at me from beyond radar range...).

Edited by melkathi
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Beat the GDI campaign in C&C 3, that last mission was a PITA.  Well until the AI sort of just gave up and I Mammoth tank rushed them into oblivion.  Not a bad singe player campaign, not as good as the earlier C&C games' had, though.  Billy Dee Williams as the bad GDI politician was pretty funny though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Chapter 2 in Warriors Orochi 4 is really long. I've done about a dozen battles and it's still not finished. I've got 63 characters unlocked and I think I just found my new favorite (until I get Lu Bu), Bao Sanniang. She is effectively female Rygar. Also, for her musou super attack she gets down on all fours and pretends to be a cat, pawing at the air, before slicing and dicing everyone in front of her with her giant bladed yoyo. It's equal parts hilarious, adorable, and awesome.

:wub:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Having finally reached chapter 3 in WO4, I decided to take a break from murdering thousands of mooks at a time to play The Hex (courtesy of Tale). I expected ****ed up **** and ****ed up **** I got. Daniel Mullins does not disappoint.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 2/24/2020 at 12:57 AM, Malcador said:

Beat the GDI campaign in C&C 3, that last mission was a PITA.  Well until the AI sort of just gave up and I Mammoth tank rushed them into oblivion.  Not a bad singe player campaign, not as good as the earlier C&C games' had, though.  Billy Dee Williams as the bad GDI politician was pretty funny though.

I really liked C&C 3. It was more of the same, but if the formula works... Never got around to playing 4, however. I didn't like what I saw.

(no Tricia Helfer or Natasha Henstridge either, so I also didn't like what I didn't see...)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

14 hours ago, 213374U said:

I really liked C&C 3. It was more of the same, but if the formula works... Never got around to playing 4, however. I didn't like what I saw.

(no Tricia Helfer or Natasha Henstridge either, so I also didn't like what I didn't see...)

I am tempted to try 4, maybe I can find it on sale for $2 or something, can't be THAT bad really.   Also have to finish the RA3 expansion (wonder how much T&A they added in that one).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still Death Stranding. I was in late Chapt. 1 trying to get "stars" with the first ... bunkers? by picking up Lost Cargo over and over ... and realized my shoes were wearing out and I had no way to make more. Pushed forward, managed to steal some MULE's shoes (bandits-like) and a quest later I could make shoes. Phew.

I get the feeling at the start one should do less exploring and push the story chapt. forward a bit so you get more options/gear etc ... then you can do more sidequests and mess around etc.  The game gets steadily more addictive (and more trippy if that's possible). I played for quite a while last night and want to jump right back in today.

It's the first game where I'm hoping it will NOT rain.  :lol:

Edit: if you have a heavy/tall load, walk with both triggers held down all the time - no more of that stupid timing of 'press RT or LT if you lean'.  EditEdit:  oh I'm playing with the "online" feature turned off, so I don't get the help of seeing/being able to use other players structures. Or their Likes. I don't need no stinkin' outside "Likes." 😄

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Picked up the Division 2 now that it was on sale for a fiver. It's a lot better than the original, which I also enjoyed for the fascist power fantasy it was, but which also had an absolutely terrible endgame. Only reached the max level a couple of days ago, but the content seems a lot more solo friendly vs. raid after raid in comparison to the original. 

Yes, I have no friends, at least none who would play games with me 😄

Only bad side I can find about the game is that the plot must be incomprehensible to anyone who did not play the first one, unless there's an in-depth backstory intro I missed.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I finished The Hex. It's... dark. If you played Pony Island, that will give you some idea the type of things are not what they seem meta narrative wackiness that go on in this game.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

51 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Division 2...  fascist power fantasy.

So it's a more nuanced CoD, I figured as much, which is why I never bother with Tom -Baby Boom- Clancy games.  Fighting for Israel and corporate expansionism just ain't my bag.  I am ashamed of my country for belittling the spirit of the constitution for Corporate Zio greed.  Shame shame shame!

Currently am playing Subnautica.  It's ok but swim/grinding for resources kinda gets old kinda fast.  I guess I'll take a break from modern gaming and hit up some classics like Parasite Eve and Resident Evil, which have ****ty graphics that have aged horribly but are still kinda fun in their flawed outdated concepts

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

I am tempted to try 4, maybe I can find it on sale for $2 or something, can't be THAT bad really.   Also have to finish the RA3 expansion (wonder how much T&A they added in that one).

It's not that bad. It's... worse. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I believe the game being disliked is C&C4, not RA3. RA3 is the pinnacle of over the top comedic lunacy, plus it has Dasha Fedorovich.

340?cb=20090413115443

C&C4 gets a lot of hate because it's the game that officially killed the once proud franchise. An argument could be made that C&C was going to die regardless, as RTS was dead as a doornail as a genre at that time (and still mostly is) 

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Skazz said:

Are you guys implying that you dislike RA3?

Nah, RA 3 was fun, the SP was sort of weird with the AI backup.  But was just teasing it for the fact they chose actresses with admirable assets.

Then again, that IS the Westwood way

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

So it's a more nuanced CoD, I figured as much, which is why I never bother with Tom -Baby Boom- Clancy games.  Fighting for Israel and corporate expansionism just ain't my bag.  I am ashamed of my country for belittling the spirit of the constitution for Corporate Zio greed.  Shame shame shame!

Currently am playing Subnautica.  It's ok but swim/grinding for resources kinda gets old kinda fast.  I guess I'll take a break from modern gaming and hit up some classics like Parasite Eve and Resident Evil, which have ****ty graphics that have aged horribly but are still kinda fun in their flawed outdated concepts

Yyyyeah, not quite that this time around. More like "the society collapsed and only you, your go-bag, assault rifle and light machine gun can restore order to the world, one punk and one block at a time".

I find it highly therapeutic, but can't ignore the judge, jury and executioner stuff from professional viewpoint.

In fact, it might be the whole reason I enjoy it!

I always find the cutscenes funny when Kelso or Ortega are asking others for help when I as a Division agent might as well be a one man army.   Still prefer NYC as the setting - I think the expansion takes us  back there to police Keener, finally.

14 hours ago, Malcador said:

But was just teasing it for the fact they chose actresses with admirable assets.

Then again, that IS the Westwood way

and that is awesome!

Also Tiberiun Sun was the best, bite me

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

16 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Yyyyeah, not quite that this time around. More like "the society collapsed and only you, your go-bag, assault rifle and light machine gun can restore order to the world, one punk and one block at a time".

That has literally nothing to do with fascism, then.  When you say "fascist fantasies" I replied with the literal fascist danger that has engulfed my country, not standard fare authority figures fighting chaos.  Law does not = fascism and chaos does not = communism/anachism.  Learn to ideologies.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:05 PM, Keyrock said:

I believe the game being disliked is C&C4, not RA3. RA3 is the pinnacle of over the top comedic lunacy, plus it has Dasha Fedorovich.

340?cb=20090413115443

C&C4 gets a lot of hate because it's the game that officially killed the once proud franchise. An argument could be made that C&C was going to die regardless, as RTS was dead as a doornail as a genre at that time (and still mostly is) 

And here I was thinking you'd be more into Natasha Volkova, what with your usual preference for - admittedly Asian - wrestlers. ;) Ivana Miličević is the high point of the videos though. From a purely, uhm, male gazey point of view obviously.

The cast of RA3 was amazing. Kind of makes me miss the time when games were made with FMVs full of great actors. Understandable though given the amount of money games cost to make these days even without hiring actors and building sets.

I didn't dislike C&C 4 because it killed the franchise as much as I hated the storyline and the attempt to revive the RTS genre by combining it with MOBA style combat. But what else could you expect to happen from a game that was originally intended to be an Asian market online only strategy game that had a campaign tacked on later after that never panned out?

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

7 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

That has literally nothing to do with fascism, then.  When you say "fascist fantasies" I replied with the literal fascist danger that has engulfed my country, not standard fare authority figures fighting chaos.  Law does not = fascism and chaos does not = communism/anachism.  Learn to ideologies.

I could recommend the same to you, with a side of reading comprehension.