Ideas for setting of next game

I've been thinking, what would be a good setting for the next game? I personally want the game to jump another 100 years or so into the future into the Early Modern/Napoleonic period. Some concepts that the game could explore:

-Aedyr launching an all-out world invasion trying to reestablish their Empire under an ambitious figure equivalent to Napoleon.

-The equivalent of the French Revolution with the peasant rebels executing the ferconyng/mecwyn in Aedyr and disintegrating the monarchy.

-The beginning of the Industrial Revolution with a focus on the conflict between Animancy and Science, giving us a modern day sequel to Arcanum that we've all longed for

Would would you like to see in the next game?

Edited by Seriphos

Considering the cosmic mess in which Eora finds itself, and that possibility of fast traveling has been introduced (Valian's experiments with adra):

I would like for the series to move into top down 3d engine (I mean preferably still isometric as it's less fiddly, ala. Starcraft2, I don't know how practical it would be), and explore multiple places - Rauatai and Yehuza come to mind as potential must see (first due to the storms and its connection to the Wheel, and Yehuza because how heavily it was teased in Deadfire, plus they must have been seperated for a while. 

Aside from those two... Aedyr would be nice, or the Living Lands. After having a taste of White that Wends in BoW, I am less interested in it, then I was before (not because I didn't like it! I just want to see other cultures now!).

Naturally, tackling multiple cutures at once, does create a certain danger, but it might lead to:
1) more focus on story, and less of showing how cool the lore is (which while cool, makes for a better Political Sociology class, then an adventure/story)

2) with all the Microsoft backing, PoE3 might aim to reach ambition and budget Divinities (or Baldur's Gate3!).

Though to be honest, at this point, I am game for anything they want to throw at me, as long as it is an RPG. Preferably top down or isometric. 

• Like 2

I think the whole Sanitorium and Heritage hill stuff could have actually made a game. Expand on all that and really focus on that malarkey. But I guess at this point they wouldn't, sequels always have to expand in scope apparently. But yeah i'd have preferred a darker, horror RPG maybe? It's something different and the world of POE has all the elements for it. Make it a bit of a mystery, with investigations and stuff. Could that work? Who knows.

• Like 1

nowt

• 2 weeks later...

I would like AEDYR as a location and fighting demons from another world as a main plot - trust me , demons are always a good choice for a story in a PC game as long as it is not the type of story where a knight in shining armor fights evil just because it is evil. The story has to be something more complex and not "black and white " ! But surely the theme about the Gods and their way of dealing with the mortals and the world is just finished and should be repeated again. All was said and done in a nice way in PoE II as far as Gods are concerned. Time for something else!

22 hours ago, IamNOOB said:

I would like AEDYR as a location and fighting demons from another world as a main plot - trust me , demons are always a good choice for a story in a PC game

I am trying to think of a one example and can’t.

I'd like to see something set around an inland sea, so we can retain the ship mechanic (albeit with a better ship combat system). An animancy-related insanity plague is sweeping the perimeter, wiping out city after city like the black death. It's up to a Watcher to find out what's behind it, then rally conflicted forces to bring it to a halt before losing her mind to the plague.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would like to see one set in the future, where the consequences of the Wheel being broken are starting to become dire. New character, also a Watcher, who could likely find tidbits of the old Watchers soul for added continuity with POE 1&2.

As for the villain, it would have to be someone working for Rymrgand or the god himself.

Living lands and Yezuda are my choices of setting.

In any case, I just really want a POE3

On 7/9/2019 at 5:52 PM, Wormerine said:

I am trying to think of a one example and can’t.

Demon's Souls has already done it almost perfectly....??? And I don't think an isometric party based RPG can beat that to be honest.

Surely this style of game is more aimed towards exploring towns and worlds and meeting party members, doings quests etc. Surely a single player action RPG is more suited to just fighiting demons...?

I'm not a writer/developer though so I don't know.

nowt

2 hours ago, daven said:

Demon's Souls has already done it almost perfectly....???

Never played it so can't say. Dark Soul was dope though. But, unless Demon's Souls is more of an RPG, in roleplaying sense, then I don't think it's an apt example. Doom is supposed to be great, and it has demons, but it's not a story drive RPG. I don't question demons as an appealing theme for visual design, but their narrative flexibility to become something interesting. 

1 hour ago, Seriphos said:

Dragon Age: Inquisition had that as well.

Ah maybe. I mean to check the Inquisition out, but I am not interested enough (D:O is supposed to be still the best, and I didn't even like that one) to download Origin for it. I has been off my PC after the midsappointments that were DA2 and ME3. 

On 7/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, dukeisaac said:

I would like to see one set in the future, where the consequences of the Wheel being broken are starting to become dire. New character, also a Watcher, who could likely find tidbits of the old Watchers soul for added continuity with POE 1&2.

As for the villain, it would have to be someone working for Rymrgand or the god himself.

Living lands and Yezuda are my choices of setting.

In any case, I just really want a POE3

We've already had enough 'gods (or their servants) are the bad guys'. We need POE 3's villain to be staunchly anti-religious because that's something that we haven't seen in this setting. Might be fun if the villain actually was the Watcher and we have to play a new character.

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Never played it so can't say. Dark Soul was dope though. But, unless Demon's Souls is more of an RPG, in roleplaying sense, then I don't think it's an apt example. Doom is supposed to be great, and it has demons, but it's not a story drive RPG. I don't question demons as an appealing theme for visual design, but their narrative flexibility to become something interesting. 

Ah maybe. I mean to check the Inquisition out, but I am not interested enough (D:O is supposed to be still the best, and I didn't even like that one) to download Origin for it. I has been off my PC after the midsappointments that were DA2 and ME3. 

Diablo II was a great game although you might say it does not count as it is hack and slash RPG. 
Dragon Age is the example, yeah !
Also , I cannot believe you did not like ME 3...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 2:02 PM, BrokenMask said:

I'd be annoyed if they move from Infinity Engine style isometric game to regular top down game <_<; I mean that was part of the whole selling point of Pillar games

I actually wouldn't mind if they implement something similar to Dragon Age: Origins. Now that they've been acquired by Microsoft and have the $$$, it makes more sense for them to go the 3d graphics route. Personally, I would love to explore Eora in a 3d graphics engine.

I don't know about 'best setting' , but considering how dissapointed I'm with Deadfire . I wouldn't mind if we went back to the old POE1 setting . 

Anything is better then those damn Island and the Pirate life . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

just lower expectation

nekataka are the best main city in rpgs personally played

the huana and vailia culture are excellently constructed and expressed

it is impossible to exceed for a sequel that are unlikely to have a much higher budget

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1