The Blockbuster Oscar Bait Movie Thread

Amentep

That'll be worth a watch.

Ended up watching Look Who's Back and thought it was funny, if a little too on the nose for the current climate. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Terminator Dark Fate

I can't believe they had six different writers on this thing. It's essentially copy of the old good Terminator movies with some gender swapping and name changes.  

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

L0L @ Terminator and Charlie's Angels.

HERE'S A HINT TO WOULD BE FILM MAKERS: Focus on making a good entertaining and fun movie and not pushing some silly political anti one specific gender message.

That's the key.

When a movie stars men (say that silly car one) it isn't about bashing or belittling women. However, certain female led films spend more time  bashing men and tyring to show women as gods  to actually make a good film. Plenty of female led films are fantastic because they bfcous on making them film good. IMAGINE THAT.

Also, HINT: When you spend your interview time bahsing men and telling them point blank the film isn't for them don't be shocked they don't show up for your mivie when you specifically told them not to.

Another HINT:  You know full well action films tend to be favored by men not women so why make a film for women when they'r elikely not gonna to see it anyways.

Bonus HINT: Plenty of women love action films. But, they lvoe them because they are fun, entertaining, and full of action. Don't talk down to them. Just make the film. LMAO

*goes back to watching first two Terminators and Alien while waiting for Wonder Woman 2*

R00lfes!

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Joker.

Disappointing. Joaquin Phoenix was fantastic but the script was a cliched pastiche of better movies and this Joker isn't really even similar to any incarnation of THE Joker, he never exhibits any real intelligence and this manchild certainly wouldn't be able to be the nemesis of Batman. Would have been a better movie if it wasn't related to the DC Joker.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Thanks 1

I re-watched it a couple of months ago. Still remember seeing it in theaters the first time. It's a really rewatchable film.

RIP Julius Carry, Vanity/Denise Matthews and Leo O'Brien

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 11/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, ShadySands said:

I still love that movie and rewatch it every few years

am pretty sure we mentioned earlier this year how we noticed the last dragon were once again a streaming option on netflix and we immediate added to list. watched a couple times 'fore it disappeared. 

am not gonna try and convince anybody it is a good movie, but we enjoy it.

don't have the last dragon dvd disc and am pretty sure it once again disappeared from netflix, but we got the fish that saved pittsburgh dvd, so perhaps we get  julius carry nostalgia goodness this weekend.

#22... for pittsburgh. dunks at 0:09. we had a pythons basketball jersey in college. #22. Truth. frequent had folks ask for an explanation. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One Cut of the Dead (2017). Recommended by RLM's Jay (his second favorite movie of the year), very unique and entertaining and bizarre film on multiple levels. Pretty masterfully made. The premise is simply that a Japanese film director has been tasked with making a live, one-cut zombie short film. Wasn't sure if I was enjoying it at first, but it all worked out (note: don't watch the trailer as the movie will be very much spoiled). 100% on Rotten Tomatoes if that means anything.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

One Cut of the Dead (2017). Recommended by RLM's Jay (his second favorite movie of the year), very unique and entertaining and bizarre film on multiple levels. Pretty masterfully made. The premise is simply that a Japanese film director has been tasked with making a live, one-cut zombie short film. Wasn't sure if I was enjoying it at first, but it all worked out (note: don't watch the trailer as the movie will be very much spoiled). 100% on Rotten Tomatoes if that means anything.

From the premise alone it reminds me a bit of Why Don't You Play in Hell?, which was an absolute riot. Similarly that's all about a group of amateur filmmakers who set up a Yakuza war in order to shoot a Yakuza film. Very absurd, over the top, full of fourth-wall breaks and the likes.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I've been watching some YouTuber's movie reviews and his ones for the Star Wars films had me wanting to rewatch the first SW - the unedited/non-cgi'd theater version. So I pulled out the spec. ed. DVD that has that fuzzy theater version on it. The PS4-Pro in my pc room apparently wants to play it with black borders on all sides, making it a tiny  window in the middle of the screen. Luckily my cheap 4k TV has this "expand in all directions" option so I could make it fill 98% of the 43" screen. Unfortunately that made it even fuzzier, but from a distance it was ok.

Anyway I say all that because I heard that Disney recently got the distribution rights to the original versions of the films (since it now owns Fox) and have also announced a new bluray release of the original trilogy. I can dream they'll include copies of the theatrical with them, right? 😛
https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-original-cuts-blu-ray-release/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@LadyCrimson Believe it or not, fan-made 1080p and even 4K transfers of the original theatrical cuts (i.e. non-Special Edition) are already out there, taken from stolen "recovered" 35mm prints. From images I've seen of it, Disney could probably improve on it, but it's obviously miles ahead of anything official.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

^  Yeah I've heard of those versions. I saw snippets of those fan made ones and didn't like the color/saturation/contrast correction work.  I really just want higher resolution recovery so it's "sharper" on bigger screens. A lot of the time you can just tweak/calibrate modern TV settings to make those other things look more to your taste anyway.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Fan theatrical 4K transfer: 50i9zs.png

Official "Special Edition" 2K transfer: snapshot_00.06.28_%5B2019.11.30_14.36.07

Definitely think the official looks nicer. Still, if you want the non-SE versions, it's not too shabby. I probably would stick to a 2K version of the fan theatrical transfer, don't think you lose much detail by doing so.

Edited by Bartimaeus

^ C3PO is too red (brassy vs. gold).

The original SE is a tad too "yellow" but I prefer that over too red/rusty toned. I'm extremely picky re: personal preferences of color tones/filters. I will lean towards blue and yellow way over red or green.

If my DVD (I don't have a bluray of it) of the theatrical looked like the first pic clarity/sharpness wise on a 40+ inch modern TV, I'd be fine enough. But I'd have to sit 10 feet away from the screen. It looks a bit better on the old plasma than the IPS/LED 4k since the plasma is still better re: contrast/blacks vs. whites dark/light mixed scenes and other such things. Plus oddly it doesn't require me to "zoom" it to fill the screen like the LED. Pfft.

Edited by LadyCrimson

@LadyCrimson

So you actually prefer the fan transfer at least in terms of colors, if I'm understanding you and the images correctly? (The fan transfer looks much more yellow while the official bluray looks much more dark and red to me.) Funny. I think my preference is red > green > yellow > blue, so the exact opposite order from you, haha.

The fan one isn't terrible re: brownish/yellow tones. It's their contrast and color in things like combat, ships in space, etc. that I don't like.

I don't have an OLED yet but what I miss most about plasma/CRT is their ability to have darks be dark (and not blown out darks) while the lighter parts of the scene are still nicely "light"/visible. So often on modern screens blacks are blown out (too much loss of detail) if you want black to look black, and then you can hardly see anything/faces are too dark during a night or dark campfire scene or whatever.

Edit: I don't really like "yellow" all that much, btw, I just prefer if over red tones. Especially with skintones. Often I'll calibrate to make skintones look more natural and just live with whatever else.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

@LadyCrimson

So you actually prefer the fan transfer at least in terms of colors, if I'm understanding you and the images correctly? (The fan transfer looks much more yellow while the official bluray looks much more dark and red to me.) Funny. I think my preference is red > green > yellow > blue, so the exact opposite order from you, haha.

I believe Star Wars prints were made by Eastman, in which the reds would notoriously degrade faster than the blue or greens, both washing out and making the print a little greener over time as a result. That's probably what you're seeing there, also why the blacks look a little more washed out and so on. Based on that single frame I might also have a slight preference for the unrestored version, it looks a tad more "organic" for me, but really, you can't make much of a decision based on a single frame. Still, pretty cool restoration!

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Child's Play remake. As someone who hated all Chucky movies because they're self-referential farces, I found myself actually enjoying this one. It was darkly comedic without the wink wink nudge nudge and this take on Chucky was much more interesting than "he's evil, deal with it". 

The Irishman is slow and plodding, but also has some great moments from great actors. I figure Scorsese has had power of final cut for along time, but I get the impression Netflix gave him even more than is typical, because this thing needed a bit of trimming. 

Watched Captain Marvel. It was alright I guess. Mostly unoriginal and Captain Marvel is as uninteresting as Superman because invincible = boring. But.... Brie Larson in a skin tight suit... THAT was a marvel.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell