The Political Thread - Browncoat edition... down with the Alliance!

Gorth

firefox_2019-02-04_08-08-25.png

firefox_2019-02-04_08-09-06.png

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

There are 8,072 wineries in the US, so Jesus would still be proud.

hmm.  am thinking if jesus were 'round in 2019, he would be hanging out with shaggy and scooby in the mystery machine.

and 'posed to wine, history's most famous hippy would no doubt be a fan o' colorado's new cash crop... and we don't mean sugar beets or wind farming neither. am suspecting 'stead o' "blood of christ," we would be getting slight different gospel telling. kinda a fun image. silver haired septuagenarian ladies in their sunday best, making their way up to the altar to share in a toke o' the "breath of christ."

more serious is how we expect the wall kerfuffle to play out.  invoke national emergency is only way trump gets even a pyrrhic victory outta this.  is nowhere near enough public support for the wall to motivate Congress to support trump and and the wh refuses to compromise on the wall aspect o' border security.  so, ultimate doomed national emergency strategy is the likeliest option.

from a practical pov, trump is gonna need a show o' wall building before Court shuts down the process.  to stave off Court intervention as long as possible, am predicting trump is gonna direct construction efforts begin on fed lands: wilderness preserves, parks, national monuments and department o' defense property.  such lands is among the most inhospitable and wild places on the border and less in need o' barriers than in more populous areas, but to get wall started, wildlife refuges and national parks is gonna get fencing first. for all intents and purposes, standing requirement is gonna doom many park lands and wilderness refuges. is not as if individual democrat legislators may sue trump for plundering department o' defense or disaster relief coffers-- needs be an actual injured party suffering a real injury to bring a case. gonna need stretch the public trust doctrine to the limits to get more than a tro for wall building on national park lands.

what a waste.  

only good we see come from this is the Court, and eventual Congress, will limit chief executive emergency powers so this kinda bass ackwards nonsense cannot happen in future.

HA! Good Fun!

ps good/bad news for texans is their stretch o' border is mostly private owned land.  so, unlikely to get much initial new wall construction. however, if you genuine believe illegals and drug mules is flooding 'cross the border in places where they is primarily being challenged by rattlesnakes and scorpions 'stead o' border patrol, then once arizona and new mexico is largely fenced, the invasion o' terrorists-in-disguise and gang thugs on the southern border will be forced to go through texas, 'cause texas will, due to civil procedure issues, get fenced last.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir just hit on a big issue with this wall foolishness. Much of the land it would occupy belongs to private citizens. To build the wall the government will need that land. They will try to buy it, likely at pennies on the dollar of actual value. But if the land owners don't want to sell, or sell at the offered price they will just take it from them. It's called eminent domain. It is a license to steal. Of course the land owners can take it to court. Sometimes you just have to couch the lance and tilt at the windmills. But Justices Stevens, Ginsburg, Souter, Breyer & Kennedy left the takings clause a lot stronger than they found it.  When the government can take your land and sell it to someone else it's even harder to stop them from taking it and using it for themselves. 

I would point out that the so called party of limited government using such a strong arm tactic should have created a little bit of an identity crisis. But they are not that. And they have not been in so long such an act has long lost any sense of irony it might have had.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

^Unfortunately, then people would QQ and form a class action suit to protect the endangered cliff. :rolleyes:

gonna need our universal translator

FAKE NEWS! wouldn't be class action regardless, but is more misinformation from the bad media which makes seem as if environmental issues are fringe or resulting from quivering snowflakes weeping every time they see a single oil covered bird. terrible! very sad!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/joshua-tree-national-park-could-take-200-300-years-recover-shutdown-180971379/

as Americans, we all have ownership in such places, and their damage and destruction may take centuries to repair, if such is even possible. as 'tween an imagined threat from objective decreasing illegal border crossing in wild and remote places 'long the border, and permanent damage to often irreplaceable national lands held in trust for americans and their children, and their children's children, the relative cost v. benefit balancing becomes simple.  

so, am having a hard time feeling bad if some china doll sensitive folks is gonna QQ 'cause their poster boy will take heat from right-wing media sources if his medieval solution to a legit but diminishing border crossing problem isn't solved by a democrat controlled house when the wh couldn't get the job done for two years when there were republican majorities in senate and house. QQ over environmentalists with real concerns to actual problems is fake news! sad. 

and is not simple esthetic concerns which motivate folks

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-transcanada-pipeline-leak/keystone-pipeline-leak-in-south-dakota-about-double-previous-estimate-paper-idUSKBN1HE0T7

all it takes is one substantial leak into the missouri river and the mississippi all the way down to new orleans gets polluted.  similar, wall issues has water right and water preservation implications as there is waterways along much o' the southern border... which would be apparent if one were to look at a map. there is gonna be water concerns particular with water diversions occuring along the texas border where lands is private owned and riparian rights is no freaking joke. 

am suspecting we didn't use enough exclamation points, capitalization and adverbs.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

President Trump: To Guard The Mexico Border, Build Planes, Not A Wall

by Richard Aboulafia

The U.S. government shutdown has ended after a record 35 days in a three-week truce, during which the White House and Congress will attempt to come to agreement on a border security package.

Despite a steady multi-decade decline in U.S.-Mexico border crossings, the Trump administration maintains that there is an emergency on the southern border. If there really is one, now that Washington has some breathing room, it’s time to debate the best way to protect the country’s borders. Rather than plowing billions into a wall, policymakers should turn their eyes skyward.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection operates a fleet of 240 aircraft, including drones, helicopters, turboprops and jets. These airborne border patrol systems have a number of advantages over fixed border fortifications:

Sensors. In contrast to an inert wall, aircraft can carry a wide variety of surveillance systems that can track caravans and other potential intruders from many miles away. And most modern surveillance planes are re-configurable – they can be modified to track targets overland, in the sea, and in the air. Sensors can also be swapped out to track heat signatures, cell phone messages, or a combination of signals.

Range. In contrast to a fixed wall, airborne systems can be used to patrol many miles into foreign territory, and over water, too. This is important since building a wall basically guarantees more migrants taking a seaborne route.

Force mobility. If a caravan of migrants approaches a remote location on a border wall, the odds are that few CBP agents or other government personnel will be there to prevent or cope with a breach, or a tunnel. With helicopters, CBP personnel can be deployed quickly, reinforcing vulnerable locations.

Timing. Expanding this air surveillance fleet, and budgeting for more flight hours, could be started in a matter of weeks or months, in contrast to the years needed to build a wall. Building the wall is just half the battle – there will also be legal challenges and eminent domain fights that further delay wall construction.

Jobs. The jobs associated with building, maintaining, and operating an expanded AMO fleet are inherently high-skill, high-wage positions, as opposed to pouring concrete for a wall.

Re-deployability. Most of all, aircraft, unlike walls, can go anywhere they are needed for the country’s safety. If, for example, the Mexican border “crisis” ceases to be a crisis, these valuable systems can be deployed in other regions where US interests are deemed to be under threat.

If there is indeed a border emergency, the U.S. aerospace industry is clearly up to the task, with an array of high-tech solutions. Walls, by contrast, are a 13th century measure.

Wall proponents may agree that airborne systems need to be part of a border security solution, if a wall is funded too. But resources are limited, and there is an enormous gap between the billions of dollars being requested for the wall, and the difficult budget realities for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Air and Marine Operations (AMO) unit.

In addition to patrolling the Mexican border, AMO’s relatively small fleet has to cover the Caribbean, along with the much longer Canadian border. Flight hours are always under budgetary pressure. Many of its air assets are basically antiques. Some of the most capable systems, P-3 maritime patrol aircraft modified with additional surveillance systems, are about 50 years old, with no replacements in sight.

“Build the Wall” is easier for a crowd to shout than “Expand and Enhance Our Aerial Surveillance Assets,” but putting the $5.7 billion proposed for wall funding towards recapitalizing and expanding this air fleet would produce superior results.
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

^^What does that QQ post have to do with protecting Americas cliffs from development?

sad.  Fake News! to QQ 'cuse Gromnir pointed out silliness o' a hypothetical environmentalist protest 'cause examples is too remote from an imagined complaint is very bad! Terrible!

need more eclamations or more caps?

HA! Good Fun!

hmm. am thinking if jesus were 'round in 2019, he would be hanging out with shaggy and scooby in the mystery machine.

I like to think of Jesus like, with giant eagles’ wings and singin’ lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an Angel Band, and I’m in the front row, and I’m hammered drunk

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

More caps and punctuations will only addle you further. QQ :(

Whats your riveting analysis on preventing construction based on pappy's bones being buried there?

QQs and excessive punctuation and "very sad" appears to be needed for gifted, so is 'bout him being discombobulated as 'posed to Gromnir.  if is unnecessary, we can stop, but don't want you to lose track as is so frequent the case.

our father was cremated, so is inapplicable. 

on the other hand, if this were some kinda silly attempt to bait us, then we will make only the following observation:

QQ

hower, as a serious response to a childish query heavy with snark (can't expect too serious a response if you describe with "pappy's bones," eh?) am gonna observe how hinder construction based on presence o' remains o' relatives temporal proximate or remote is personal irrelevant as am having little emotional attachment to the remains o' the deceased.  nevertheless, am self aware enough to recognize we would unapologetic use such an excuse on behalf o' clients or causes we believed in as a means delaying or stopping ill-considered constructions.  would be irresponsible and unethical not to use every means. also, while we do not have the emotional makeup to be individual concerned 'bout the moldering evidence o' humans long dead save as data for physical anthropologists and the like,  would be needing channel a level o' sociopath thankful alien to us to fail to recognize how different such stuff affects our fellow living humans. to discount impact o' a perceived violation o' earthly remains 'cause it don't bother Gromnir personal would be displaying a level o' callousness we hesitate to consider.  as such, our concerns insofar as "pappy's bones" is a recognition such is not necessarily insular from our concerns 'bout the wellbeing o' the living.  

likely needed at least a couple exclamation points to generate comprehension, but C'est La Vie! 

HA! Good Fun!

:lol:

Sad. I dont care about you enough to personally bait you. Respond, dont respond...who cares? I was referring to the telescopes that cant be built in Hawaii because there be bones up on that mountain. Its not at all surpring that you can never get the point though. QQ :(

More concentration and less perpetual butthurt would probably do wonders for your communication skills.

:lol:

Sad. I dont care about you enough to personally bait you. Respond, dont respond...who cares? I was referring to the telescopes that cant be built in Hawaii because there be bones up on that mountain. Its not at all surpring that you can never get the point though. QQ :(

More concentration and less perpetual butthurt would probably do wonders for your communication skills.

how on earth does hawaii change nature o' the discussion and your use o' "pappy's bones" as a means o' delaying or stopping construction?

*chuckle*

given your response, am seeing where the butthurt is located.  overuse o' "QQ" is signposting. shibboleth?

ah well, seems you don't wanna discuss any political issues in the political thread.  predictable but not surprising.

however, to segway from the difficulties some have with reading comprehension...

http://time.com/5518947/donald-trump-intelligence-briefings-national-security/

HA! Good Fun!

This isn't a speech for the State of the Union, it's reading out bullet points :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This isn't a speech for the State of the Union, it's reading out bullet points :p

Sounds like most speeches tbh.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, that's true.  People chanting "USA!" was pretty funny though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bah, just meaningless political theater. I watched Building Alaska instead. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Has a point about not having a plan, seems like they are winging it.

• Like 1

EU's Tusk rebuffs May, says Brexiteers deserve a place in hell.

So salty! Surely he must realize that between now and 29 May the UK will have anywhere between 16-97 more votes of no confidence. This thing aint over yet!

It grates me no end that Walsingham is not here for me to scream 'I told you so' at.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Didn't Walsingham leave the forums before Brexit?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: