The Political Thread - Browncoat edition... down with the Alliance!

Gorth

I cant remember if I asked you this Keyrock, I see some semi's have replaced the 8 rear tractor tires with 4 wider-than-normal tires. Is this for fuel economy? 

To be honest, I'm not sure, but that does sound plausible. The semi I drive has the standard 2 dually axles for the drive wheels (8 tires).

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I cant remember if I asked you this Keyrock, I see some semi's have replaced the 8 rear tractor tires with 4 wider-than-normal tires. Is this for fuel economy?

To be honest, I'm not sure, but that does sound plausible. The semi I drive has the standard 2 dually axles for the drive wheels (8 tires).

Wide tyres have a little better stability, marginally lighter and depending on tyre choice better fuel consumption. At the cost of reliability, irregular wear and price.

If your tyre punctures, you will probably have to ditch the rims aswell since it'll grind on the asphalt...

That said, I can't vouch 100% for these things since I'm recalling conversations with drivers I've had.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

New post because this forum doesn't show when the latest post gets edited. nvm that, heh.

GD, you might like or be interested this one. Just spotted this on the The Guardian liveblog a bit ago. I don't know how you feel about Bill Weld switching back to Republican from Libertarian (the local NH GOP is pretty hostile to him), but he's made a major/substantial move towards a Presidential candidacy, most likely as a Republican.

Hopefully this opens the floodgates to other challengers jumping in....

Edited by smjjames

New post because this forum doesn't show when the latest post gets edited. nvm that, heh.

GD, you might like or be interested this one. Just spotted this on the The Guardian liveblog a bit ago. I don't know how you feel about Bill Weld switching back to Republican from Libertarian (the local NH GOP is pretty hostile to him), but he's made a major/substantial move towards a Presidential candidacy, most likely as a Republican.

Hopefully this opens the floodgates to other challengers jumping in....

He needs to pick a lane. I know why he made the move. He annoyed a lot of LP types during the campaign and his path to a 2020 nomination was rocky to say the least. To say nothing of the endless and endlessly tedious LP self flagellation over who is or isn't "libertarian enough". The problem is by running with Johnson he burned his bridges with the GOP so he is the proverbial man without a country now. 

I hope he gets in and I hope he makes trouble. I'm not going to vote for him in the primary because I can't. But I wish him nothing but well. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I hope we don't go full on Mad Max. I look terrible in a mohawk and chaps.

Apocalypseburg comin for you!!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

So it seems Trump will invoke emergency power to build a wall. So the Republicans who railed against the tyranny of Obama's executive overreach (and it WAS make no mistake) have responded by raising a new tyrant. Well done to the new leader of the GOP:

CheerfulHugeDutchsmoushond-mobile.jpg

The problem is this is not the end of it. Now a precedent is set. The next President might, no almost f-----g certainly will go farther. Democrats have never been afraid or unwilling to wield power and impose their will at gunpoint.  And so we slouch even further down the road to autocracy and while the MAGA crowd cheers the seeds of our destruction are sown.

In all seriousness if you can't put toothpaste back in the tube them squeezing even more out was probably a bad f-----g idea don't you think?

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The GOP aren't anti-authoritarians. The wall is merely a co-pay in the GOP's plans. Who have a vested interest in oil wealth and in tax havens that differ from the democrat's preferred style of tax avoidance. Which usually involves lowered taxes on accounts for innovating, but also addicted to cheaper foreign labor. It's a battle of wealth redistribution under the guise of preventing wealth redistribution.

So it seems Trump will invoke emergency power to build a wall. So the Republicans who railed against the tyranny of Obama's executive overreach (and it WAS make no mistake) have responded by raising a new tyrant. Well done to the new leader of the GOP:

The problem is this is not the end of it. Now a precedent is set. The next President might, no almost f-----g certainly will go farther. Democrats have never been afraid or unwilling to wield power and impose their will at gunpoint.  And so we slouch even further down the road to autocracy and while the MAGA crowd cheers the seeds of our destruction are sown.

In all seriousness if you can't put toothpaste back in the tube them squeezing even more out was probably a bad f-----g idea don't you think?

While I get the implication of Trump being a buffoon with using Jar Jar, I think that's somewhat unfair to Senator Jar Jar as he appeared to have grown some as a character, even though we never saw that growth. Palpatine would be more appropriate here in the sense of grabbing power.

For all the Republican hyperventilating over the precedent, they've set some precedents themselves that they should have thought twice about. So, despite them having a point, they're wallowing in their own hypocrisy.

Cortez and Pelosi vs Trump, Who will win I wonder...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Cortez and Pelosi vs Trump, Who will win I wonder...

so far, pelosi has been getting to play as clubber lang.

am not certain why cortez is included, but unless you have been living in a cave for over a month, pelosi has been clear winner o' the first two battles or rounds.

round 1: https://www.apnews.com/30769167ab7a4ef9adf880d020b775dd

round 2: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/14/694647564/congress-sprints-to-pass-border-security-package-with-trumps-support-unclear

trump forced a shutdown 'cause he weren't satisfied with $1.6 billion for border security and fencing in december o' 2018.  mid february 2019 and trump is gonna get $1.375 billion.  oh, and turn back clock to mid march 2018 and trump woulda' been able to get $25 billion if he hadn't sudden did a 180 on seeming already agreed terms o' a bipartisan resolution.  without question, trump is the worst presidential deal maker in our memory.

"win" tends to be elastic for trump and trump followers.  if a win is getting wall built, such a goal is, in all likelihood, already doomed.  Court will ultimate decide national emergency silliness, and by the time such happens, 2020 elections is gonna be nearing resolution.  national emergency effective ends chance o' wall building near future, save for to extent we described earlier in the thread. however, if "win" is for trump to look tough enough for the right-wing radio hosts to call off the dogs, so to speak, and convince trump's base he is still their guy, then...

*shrug* 

am increasing pleased to admit our surprise at just how little the trump base expects from a trump presidency.  

is trump gonna find his inner rocky and miraculous transform for second fight? no, but not need to transform.  only need for his base to see him as rocky and for democrats to once again choose a presidential candidate less popular than trump, which would seem implausible and improbable save for fact it already happened in 2016. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

While I get the implication of Trump being a buffoon with using Jar Jar, I think that's somewhat unfair to Senator Jar Jar as he appeared to have grown some as a character, even though we never saw that growth. Palpatine would be more appropriate here in the sense of grabbing power.

Jar Jar enabled Palpatine to take power. THAT'S the reference. He's the GOP in one character, not Trump.

Thomas Sowell

Jar Jar enabled Palpatine to take power. THAT'S the reference. He's the GOP in one character, not Trump.

have a hard time seeing trump as palpatine.

senator rourke, perhaps?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

As a side by side comparison? No, not even close. When Trump succeeds it' almost in spite of himself.  Don't get me wrong, he's not stupid. And there is more shtick to his words and actions than folks will credit. But a master manipulator or power driven despot he is not. On the upside if he does this he will give me a perfect answer once and for all when people ask "why don't libertarians support the republicans?'  

Thomas Sowell

As a side by side comparison? No, not even close. When Trump succeeds it' almost in spite of himself.  Don't get me wrong, he's not stupid. And there is more shtick to his words and actions than folks will credit. But a master manipulator or power driven despot he is not. On the upside if he does this he will give me a perfect answer once and for all when people ask "why don't libertarians support the republicans?'  

am not sure it is fair to generalize republicans based on trump or this specific event.  pains us to admit, but we got some sympathy for the lickspittle republicans who are caving to trump demands; they are in an impossible position. 

all year, mcconnell and other republicans has been warning o' the institutional dangers o' utilizing national emergency to effective circumvent Congress.  unfortunate, the President is indifferent to opinions other than hannity and limbaugh and coulter. so Congressional republicans show up at wh, hats in hand, with a bipartisan compromise to avoid a second shutdown fully aware a mercurial and volatile President is gonna be unhappy with getting so little for his border wall boondoggle. what to do?

'ccording to virtual all polls, the first shutdown was blamed most on President and republicans much more than blame were directed at democrats.  no surprise. those video images o' trump taking ownership o' a possible shutdown were played on almost a loop by a number o' unsympathetic media sources. were no doubt apparent to every washington republican not named trump that a second shutdown woulda' devastated the republican party in the short-term.

balance. on one side is extreme important institutional concerns regarding a chief executive doing an end-around on Congress. other side is impact on republicans seeking reelection in next cycle and the impact a second successive shutdown would have on party interests. is a devil and deep blue sea proposition, but the institutionalists have one hope: the Courts. mcconnell is no doubt praying for the Courts to bail his arse outta this mess.  if Court rubs the President's nose in the mess he is making, then is no precedent problem. is not as if a President has never tried anything similar... though it has been a long time. but what bitter irony if the Court don't fix this mess, eh?  mcconnell has been brilliant in using ill-considered precedent created by harry reid and the democrats to load fed courts at all levels with sympathetic judges.  if those judges defer to the executive, then mcconnell will be sympathizing with captain tupolev.

is not an ideological motivation which has Congressional republicans siding, reluctant, with trump on a national emergency.  is pure pragmatism and self preservation.  am thinking is doubtful even gd believes independents is immune to such considerations?  

HA! Good Fun!

ps given showing of independents on national stage

am thinking it shouldn't come as a shock we won't be voting for any similar candidates in the future.

• Like 1

While I get the implication of Trump being a buffoon with using Jar Jar, I think that's somewhat unfair to Senator Jar Jar as he appeared to have grown some as a character, even though we never saw that growth.

Did you ever hear the theory of Darth Darth Binks?

I thought not, it's not a theory Disney would tell you.

• Like 1

am thinking it shouldn't come as a shock we won't be voting for any similar candidates in the future.

And that is unfortunate. You live in California, one of the safest states for a single candidate around. Voting D or R for you is literally accomplishing nothing but padding the popular vote total. One move vote for either elephants or donkeys will not affect who will win the state's electoral votes. But for a third party ever single vote the receive moves them closer to full ballot access, major party status, etc. I didn't think Gary Johnson would have made a good President. But I DO think he LP has something to offer and voted for Johnson because of that. You and I both live in states that are going to go the way they are going to go no matter what. Votes for a third party presidential candidate is the ONLY way we can make our votes actually count. 

Thomas Sowell

Without electoral reform third party candidates in the US will never be anything other than, at most, a spoiler in the elections. Most likely even just that is pretty much impossible.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Without electoral reform third party candidates in the US will never be anything other than, at most, a spoiler in the elections. Most likely even just that is pretty much impossible.

If one of them hits the magic number in the popular vote total they attain major party status. They get money from the FEC, and they get included in polling. But the big one is they get automatic ballot access rather than an expensive and difficult 50 state slog they have to do now. Only the LP routinely gets on the ballot in all 50 states of all the minor parties here and it literally exhausts their war chest every election cycle. Success in this system becomes possible the moment success seems possible. Have the LP candidate on the debate stage, in the straw polls, and on every ballot and we might be getting somewhere. Ditto for the Greens and anyone else. 

On a separate track I find the latest LP overtures to Howard Schultz puzzling considering the way Bill Weld was treated. If Weld was "not libertarian enough" (I hate that expression) then WTF is Schultz? The biggest impediment to the success of the LP isn't the electoral system... it's the members of the LP. There is a steadfast refusal to accept that someone who agrees with you 85% actually does agree with you. That and the notion that everything done in 100+ years can be undone instantly are the two biggest stumbling blocks they face. And both are self inflicted. Absolutism and politics are a poor combination. 

Thomas Sowell

Trump's press conferences are pretty funny. Watching him take 4 sentences to say one point, barrage vague statements and get bitchy.

Is also funny how military spending seems to be ultimate fall back :lol: Hard to imagine the U.S. military being as weak as he pushes. Also apparently Obama told him he was close to war with DPRK, hmm.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

reform party got 19% in 1992 presidential.  where is the reform party today?  1992 did not herald the advent o' an emergent 3rd party... and with candidates such as johnson, libertarians is a long freaking way from anything like 19%.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/could-a-libertarian-win-a-senate-race-this-year/

libertarian party has been 'round a long time and it has had more than a few relative cinderella moments.  however, failures is just as likely to follow success for the libertarian party with failures and success being equal pedestrian.

2016 libertarian cause were ultimate meaningless for libertarians, but johnson candidacy mighta' been a contributing factor in getting trump elected, so congrats?  margins were so thin in battleground states that seeming inconsequential influences, stuff which might normal be dismissed as rounding errors, became dispositive. 

trying to get a libertarian Presidential candidate, any candidate, exposure is not a good approach.   gary johnson performance no doubt discouraged as many potential voters as it attracted.  is bass ackwards.  gary johnson got votes 'cause some folks liked him, but more so 'cause his candidacy were a faceless vote against historical unpopular republican and democrat candidates.  am suspecting lord buckethead woulda' garnered similar numbers if he were the recognized 3rd party candidate.

libertarians may have genuine success local and state.  as such, libertarian efforts should focus on developing local and state.  national attention is not needed and may actual be counter-productive as it produces aleppo moments which will be what is remembered most by the vast majority o' folks come 2020.

have mentioned elsewhere how Gromnir most identifies libertarian.  such like doesn't blind us.  

@malcador  multiple past Presidents also told him they had wished they had built a wall, save for fact none o' them actually had. 

https://www.apnews.com/0b368a320d744c94819206c45ae9f2b6

is so tough to believe trump about anything.  he lies when he don't need to and when there is no good reason to do so.  

however, military construction funds make sense as target for trump's cash grab.  military takes serious the notion o' civilian leadership with trump as commander in chief.  

this kinda thing is rare.  serving military commanders don't often overt refute President. have any top brass complain 'bout trump actions is unlikely.  there will be retired military and anonymous serving colonels and generals who will complain, but all that needs happen is for fox news to get a couple retired military who is trump stumpers to says opposite.  

military build projects is large and less political than other potential sources. billions is allocated for stuff such as military housing, but such projects is invariably multi-year and is unlikely to touch off popular resentment if they is delayed.  a bunch o' military buildings go unpainted for 2019? is voters gonna care? 

'course trump ain't gonna get anywhere close to $8 billion from delay paint or upgrade co detectors in military buildings.  there is gonna be big military contracts which is affected, and am suspecting those projects cut is gonna be in predominant democrat districts wherein civilian contractors and workers is gonna be bearing immediate brunt o' delays. 

republicans gotta see how dangerous it is to support this kinda executive overreach.  unfortunate, the alternative were another shutdown. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir