The Political Thread - Browncoat edition... down with the Alliance!

Gorth

IIRC he left because moderation was unwilling to ban obyknven over xyr crypto-nazi symbolism and references. So yeah, long before Brexit.

Smart lad.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Not that I remember. Openly anti-Western, but never openly Nazi. Unless you regard a raging pro-Putin boner as requiring fascist leanings.

From what I remember from exchanging PMs with Wals, he was certain that oby's posts frequently contained neo-Nazi themes and references (that he had to explain to me). I didn't really doubt him, but I'm pretty sure it was so obscure that any such things went unnoticed by the board's user base at large.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Oby won that round, I guess.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Poor little EU.   They are proving to be the Nazis I always knew they were. People belong in hell because they don't want to be your slaves. That is BEAUTIFUL.

The Germans and the other EU Nazis want to use Britian as an example for any other EU country thinking of leaving. They plan to ruin them if they can. Afterall, if they can take down Britian some rinky dinky  country won't risk it. They will do everything they can - bully, intimidate, threaten, use religion, murder, rape, bribery,  war, whatever.

EVIL. EVIL TO THE CORE.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Germans and the other EU Nazis want to use Britian as an example for any other EU country thinking of leaving.

There's a lot of anti-EU sentiment coming from the big players getting a pass on issues smaller countries wouldn't. Like France not conforming to the Maastricht convergence criteria without repercussions or Germany being allowed to discriminated against foreigners using the Autobahn. The absolute worst of these was the UK with their special snowflake status.

So yeah, Volo, but... no. The EU was willing to cut the UK a deal far better than anything they deserve because they're all spineless chumps. If the EU and its officials had  as much as an ounce of self respect they'd have sent them packing with a no deal, hard Brexit right from the start. Y'know, in order to make an actual example of the UK and brng back some of the trust lost, if that is even possible.

That doesn't mean that Germany isn't abusing their power and influence for every advantage they can get of course and with the UK gone our butt budies France and Germany are going to dominate even harder, but that's a different topic entirely.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

And we all lost :(

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The EU was willing to cut the UK a deal far better than anything they deserve because they're all spineless chumps.

I'd be a lot more charitable than that, not something I usually am when it comes to the EU. Being obnoxious and obstructionist would only ensure that Britain would be gone, permanently, instead of probably coming back at some point. It would also provide more ammunition, not less, for EU skeptics due to the appearance of trying to force the referendum to be set aside* and would be justifiably labeled as part of 'Project Fear 2' in the UK. "You don't want to play with us? Well, we're taking out ball and going home!" doesn't even work well in the schoolyard.

*which, lest we forget, has been the usual approach when 'anti EU' referenda have passed in member countries.

Has a point about not having a plan, seems like they are winging it.

Well yeah, they've been relatively open about not expecting leave to win and by inference never really did any preparation for a non remain result- Cameron would never have called the referendum if he thought he would lose. About the only prep they did was the Project Fear 1 research about how much the economy would contract if leave won; and that's been counterproductive since the estimates were absolutely miles more negative than reality has been. And to be fair, the Northern Ireland situation is not really something that has a precedent and can be planned for in a way that would satisfy anybody.

Cameron would never have called the referendum if he thought he would lose.

Asking people what they want can be dangerous. I still remember 1992, back in Denmark. People (including myself) voted no in the Maastricht Treaty referendum. The 'Yes' position had been advertised by just about every establishment figure, celebrities, industrial leaders and a rare, almost unified parliament (except the odd protest party or two who was against anything EU related).

Yet, people voted No and you could hear the wails of despair coming out of the parliament building. Their fix at the time was to get the treaty amended with phrases that effectively left Denmark out of key areas (and obligations) of the treaty and then hold a second referendum on the modified treaty.

People at the time had the feeling the politicians had lost touch with reality and would simply keep holding referendums until they got the desired result. It was also the last time that Denmark suffered major riots and police shooting people in the streets (11 people got shot by police in Copenhagen). The second referendum ended up in favour of 'Yes' with a fraction of a percentage. The politicians got what they wanted, even if was now only a treaty in name only. Politicians however lost just about any credibility they may have had left at the time and I always thought it would be a race between the UK and Denmark who would be the first to leave the EU (both countries also never adopted the Euro currency.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And we all lost :(

Think of it as oby purging the weakness from the Obsidian Master Race. :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I sometimes wonder if those two were like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. When one disappeared, the other did too...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Nah, oby stuck around several years longer than Wals.

And that was a shame. Wals is a good guy. He's one of the one's I wish would come back, There are a few like that. I some I wish COULD come back (Sand, Tarna, Kelverin)

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If/when the food riots and general economic collapse finally hit "Great" Britain and it functionally becomes Europe's Venezuela, can we count on orange man to at least consider military intervention to deliver the British people from the oppression and tyranny of old people?

Democracy is non negotiable.

And that's where you're wrong. Just ask Gil Fulbright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb8StPZOgo8

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If/when the food riots and general economic collapse finally hit "Great" Britain and it functionally becomes Europe's Venezuela, can we count on orange man to at least consider military intervention to deliver the British people from the oppression and tyranny of old people?

If so, they'll take up the mantle of William Wallace (movie version) and ensure Scottish freedom.

I'd be a lot more charitable than that, not something I usually am when it comes to the EU. Being obnoxious and obstructionist would only ensure that Britain would be gone, permanently, instead of probably coming back at some point. It would also provide more ammunition, not less, for EU skeptics due to the appearance of trying to force the referendum to be set aside* and would be justifiably labeled as part of 'Project Fear 2' in the UK. "You don't want to play with us? Well, we're taking out ball and going home!" doesn't even work well in the schoolyard.

*which, lest we forget, has been the usual approach when 'anti EU' referenda have passed in member countries.

Not that I like to invoke the slippery slope argument because more often that not it's just a load of manure but I'd say giving the UK a charitable deal that maybe even makes it too easy to come back (maybe even with the special snowflake status) would lend more credence to the euroskeptics and cause other nations to go for a painless exit the moment they see an advantage in it.

The UK needs to have their cake and eat it and the EU needs to look at this as an opportunity for reform. That would be painful so it's not  going to happen anyway. The EU will do what it always does, subject everything to the economic needs of a few and generate more anti-EU sentiment.

Fitting that it would culminate where it began with the Wicked Witch a long time ago. :)

Edited by majestic

I guess my view is predicated on the EU being an 'infinite expansion' project for its architects- they don't want to do anything that would limit it, so they don't want the UK gone permanently even if it would give short term satisfaction (and discourage other potential leavers). I'm certainly no fan of the EU but within the stipulations mandated by their worldview I think they've handled the UK leaving quite well.

If it were a less important nation they'd probably do more to try and end run the referendum or outright blackmail/ threaten to stick the knife in, but from their pov they really do need the UK back and preferably in such a way that they won't be continually on the verge of leaving every few years.

If so, they'll take up the mantle of William Wallace (movie version) and ensure Scottish freedom.

Hmm. Scotland has oil, and they won't let Trump build any more golf courses, and the locals don't like his hotels being there which are there. Might need some long term occupation and stabilisation.

• Like 1

I guess my view is predicated on the EU being an 'infinite expansion' project for its architects- they don't want to do anything that would limit it, so they don't want the UK gone permanently even if it would give short term satisfaction (and discourage other potential leavers). I'm certainly no fan of the EU but within the stipulations mandated by their worldview I think they've handled the UK leaving quite well.

If it were a less important nation they'd probably do more to try and end run the referendum or outright blackmail/ threaten to stick the knife in, but from their pov they really do need the UK back and preferably in such a way that they won't be continually on the verge of leaving every few years.

Understandable. There are also a lot of economic concerns and realpolitik alone demands that the UK gets a workable deal out of leaving - with potentially getting an easy way back if they wish.

A lot of euroskepticism comes from the people being fed up with the EU catering to the economic interests of those seen to run it. Never mind that this is technically not correct because everything needs to be unanimous and pass the parliament (both of which are elected either directly or indirectly) but the people would never blame their local governments for what are apparently issues of the European Union - even though they actually cause them.

One needs to look no further than the fact that the EU keeps being called undemocratic in spite of the fact that the leadership is made up entirely by the elected governments of the member nations.

Orange Man will critically support old people against young'un imperialism and liberate Britain for the low cost of Scotland's oil reserves or real estate to build more gold abominations.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands