Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Football (Soccer) 2018-19

Football Soccer Manchester Liverpool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

daven

daven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 606 posts

Since there was one for NFL, i'll start a REAL sport topic.

Liverpool are still at the top at the half way point. Man City just did them on Thursday.

My money is on City to win still.

Anyone even interested? Probably not.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I don't follow it much but it is quite cool that we are getting EPL games on NBC here in the US these days

daven

daven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 606 posts

How popular is the Premier League in the US? As far as we know in England, it's basically nothing over there.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9057 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How popular is the Premier League in the US? As far as we know in England, it's basically nothing over there.

That is correct.

It's basically a small niche in an overloaded sports market. You have American Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, Nascar, golf, and tennis all getting more attention.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2901 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Thanks for Rebecca Lowe. She's fantastic. Transfer fee was worth it.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7737 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

That is correct.

It's basically a small niche in an overloaded sports market. You have American Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, Nascar, golf, and tennis all getting more attention.

Americans and their inferior sports.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

It's not as popular as the top pro league here, MLS. But MLS popularity does not extend too much beyond the cities that have a club. But MLS actually doing pretty well. It has TV & radio contracts, never hurts for attendance, and has recognizable branding. EPL gets a game of the week on NBC every weekend and it's decent as far as ratings go considering. The US is not the barren wasteland for the sport it once was. It's the 5th most popular sport here and likely a distant 5th behind the NHL, MLB, NBA, & NFL respectively. But 5th is enough to make is successful. There has long been this notion if soccer is not the most popular sport in the US then we must hate it. That has never been the case. Most of the pro leagues here were either regional or the few "major" league circuits had stupid bad business models. MLS appears to be doing it right and that has helped the sport grow a lot. Without that you would never see an EPL match on TV here and soccer would be limited to Women's World cup in the attention of the US sports consumer. 

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9057 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh yeah, soccer is plenty popular as an activity in the US. I mean it's a pretty standard sport to play as a kid, and there are plenty of recreational adult leagues where I live. Indoor Soccer does pretty well too.

But why would a league that takes place in a different country have any real popularity when there are plenty of local options to choose from? 

It will be interesting to see if the MLS grows well enough in the next decade or two to attract better American athletes to the sport. That's what happened with the NHL expansion when I was growing up, and now you have a pretty solid core of young American players that can compete at the highest level in hockey.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7737 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Higher standard for one. MLS isn't as horrid as it used to be, though

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 282 posts

Good times to be a Liverpool fan. Van Dijk and Alisson have been immense for us. I still think City will take the league, but we're improving so much every season.

Edited by Thingolfin, 06 January 2019 - 11:14 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Football, Soccer, Manchester, Liverpool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users