The Political Thread - Burlamaqui edition

Amentep

French know how to protest, will give them that.  Anglos are too passive.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So apperantelly my boy Neil DeGrasse Tyson tried to hit on some chick who he invited to his flat for cheese and wine, failed, let her leave and is now alleged for sexual misconduct? Yeah sure ladies, push harder, seduction is only successfull or its rape xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

So apperantelly my boy Neil DeGrasse Tyson tried to hit on some chick who he invited to his flat for cheese and wine, failed, let her leave and is now alleged for sexual misconduct? Yeah sure ladies, push harder, seduction is only successfull or its rape xD

Maybe my head is in the sand, but I thought this was already blowing over for the nothingburger that it is.

Maybe my head is in the sand, but I thought this was already blowing over for the nothingburger that it is.

Is a banner for the jihad ;)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

not that much political. but i got nice chuckle from it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/07/entertainment/kevin-hart-oscars-step-down/index.html

I am interested where those hypercorect people will find someone who has good cadre review :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Degrassi sucked.

I'm surprised you even know of it, to be honest.

I don't need an army. I need twenty good snipers.

...You might need some spotters within your army.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, 10 of them can be spotters.

https://www.apnews.com/4997bb7aa36c45449b488e19ac83e86d

Guys for those of you who understand science is this story possible?

If this is potentially valid why would it be considered immoral?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It is possible

Moral objections against genome modification come usually either from religious grounds as genome modification are often seen as thing where humans are playing god, quite similar to issue as why cloning is seen as bad, or from societal grounds where there is fear that genome modifications would be used to pursue goal to achieve ultimate human and kill diversity from the population. Genetic modifications killing diversity and natural ability to adapt to changing conditions isn't necessary unfounded fear as it is something that has observed with genetically modified plants.

• Like 1

morality is not only religious basis, its much deeper

morality is not only religious basis, its much deeper

Yeah, SJW are actually clone experiment from back in the day. Man shouldn't play God.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It is possible

Moral objections against genome modification come usually either from religious grounds as genome modification are often seen as thing where humans are playing god, quite similar to issue as why cloning is seen as bad, or from societal grounds where there is fear that genome modifications would be used to pursue goal to achieve ultimate human and kill diversity from the population. Genetic modifications killing diversity and natural ability to adapt to changing conditions isn't necessary unfounded fear as it is something that has observed with genetically modified plants.

There's an 'objective' moral objection as well- CRISPR is not by any means perfect and has not worked particularly well on humans so far when tested. Not working well consistently is not so much a concern when you're dealing with lab rats or plant seeds (to an extent, there's potential for accidentally making superweeds), but if you end up splicing genes into the wrong place in a human you will also end up introducing defects instead of removing them.

Also, while it's certainly possible he has done it and his technical outline of how he did it was solid nobody is sure whether he really has edited genes as there's no independent evidence of it- it's illegal to do so in China so he would be in a fair bit of potential trouble if he has (and indeed, if recent reports are accurate he has 'disappeared' after going home).

• Like 1

I'm theoretically in favor of CRISPR-Cas9 human gene editing, but only when done under care and meticulous scrutiny of the entire scientific and medical community at large. Yes a lone genius might pioneer the boundaries, but they should still have their work vetted and guided careful oversight. It's both about the moral ramifications and it's about accurately mapping out what we know is possible in regards to gene-editing and where things fall apart.

• Like 1