The Political Thread - Burlamaqui edition

Amentep

So Pierre, what will the next government look like?

Obviously it will be headed by Louis XX, beloved of the people and legitimate King of France, we do know that much.

Shame the Brits dropped their claim to the throne, otherwise we could almost manage a super union of France/ Spain/ Britain.

Edited by Zoraptor

Seriously though, it is kind of amusing watching the Macron Narrative fall apart. 

Nothing unusual for you to be hoping for any Western institution to fall apart but as normal with your prognostications of " the end of the EU\Western culture  " you will be disappointed and wrong when things stabilize and the EU continues to seen as an excellent union of how countries can unite behind  common trade and human rights values 

Sorry Zora but thats just how the world is, its best to accept the West isn't going anywhere  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Obviously it will be headed by Louis XX, beloved of the people and legitimate King of France, we do know that much.

Shame the Brits dropped their claim to the throne, otherwise we could almost manage a super union of France/ Spain/ Britain.

France will come home to absolute, divine-right monarchy any day now. Pierre knows that he was wrong about democracy, and they're terribly sorry for killing Western Civilization.

Seriously though, it is kind of amusing watching the Macron Narrative fall apart. 

Nothing unusual for you to be hoping for any Western institution to fall apart but as normal with your prognostications of " the end of the EU\Western culture  " you will be disappointed and wrong when things stabilize and the EU continues to seen as an excellent union of how countries can unite behind  common trade and human rights values 

Sorry Zora but thats just how the world is, its best to accept the West isn't going anywhere   :biggrin:

The protests have been going on for a while, in more prefects than this weekend's Paris. This climate change tax doesn't hurt those urban ponces, but the rural and working class that leoliberalism has abandoned for capital without borders. Unlike the people who are trained to talk like the marxists in your sig box, real people cannot just go home and buy new eco cars. Many have real work to do, requiring actual motors.

If governments wanted to ameliorate global warming, they would quit accommodating masses more onto the power grids from Sand World, cranking their heat up every winter, but they do not care about global warming or plastic.

Macron had one job: bread and games, but he can't even do that. Looks like his government want to give, they really have no other choice:

http://www.linfo.re/france/politique/edouard-philippe-annoncera-un-moratoire-sur-la-hausse-des-taxes-carburants

• Like 1

Sorry Zora but thats just how the world is, its best to accept the West isn't going anywhere  :biggrin:

I see you still dream about marxist Europe, it will not happend as long as V4 have some say in it :). Funny how westeners are starting to flock to east europe for 'Western' style of life

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I see you still dream about marxist Europe, it will not happend as long as V4 have some say in it :). Funny how westeners are starting to flock to east europe for 'Western' style of life

How can you possibly call the EU  Marxist, can you name some things that are Marxist about it and what do we define as Marxist ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

France will come home to absolute, divine-right monarchy any day now. Pierre knows that he was wrong about democracy, and they're terribly sorry for killing Western Civilization.

Sorry Zora but thats just how the world is, its best to accept the West isn't going anywhere   :biggrin:

The protests have been going on for a while, in more prefects than this weekend's Paris. This climate change tax doesn't hurt those urban ponces, but the rural and working class that leoliberalism has abandoned for capital without borders. Unlike the people who are trained to talk like the marxists in your sig box, real people cannot just go home and buy new eco cars. Many have real work to do, requiring actual motors.

If governments wanted to ameliorate global warming, they would quit accommodating masses more onto the power grids from Sand World, cranking their heat up every winter, but they do not care about global warming or plastic.

Macron had one job: bread and games, but he can't even do that. Looks like his government want to give, they really have no other choice:

http://www.linfo.re/france/politique/edouard-philippe-annoncera-un-moratoire-sur-la-hausse-des-taxes-carburants

You raise some interesting points and I would like to respond but before I do I just want to understand your context, where do you live and overall what is your stance on political\economic ideologies?

I absolutely believe in Western culture as the most effective and efficient ways to govern and to ensure sustainable governments that offer overall the best solutions to economic and social prosperity. This is a complicated subject with many levels but in summary what that means to me is 

• You need governments elected by the people and accountable to the people 
  • You need effective governments that maintain there institutions
  • You need governments that respect the rule of law and order
  • You need the free market to drive local and the global economies

In the interest of full disclosure I have strong ties to the banking  sector and support the important role the  global financial sector plays in global economic stability and growth  but this is in a reasonable and constructive way :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I am sure I don't have to define to you what Marxism is, you can read their manifesto if you didn't but its beside the point. Some of us still remember how real marxism looks like in reality.

but back to EU to give you some, lets say economical example:

https://www.euractiv.com/section/road-safety/news/controversial-eu-labour-rules-tackle-truck-drivers-pay-and-working-conditions/

and:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-budget-agriculture/eu-proposes-to-cut-farm-subsidies-france-says-unacceptable-idUSKBN1I31WW

edit, incorect link

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/emmanuel-macron-signals-for-frances-pm-to-suspend-fuel-tax-hikes-after-violent-protests/ar-BBQsGCf?li=AA59G2

Im disappointed that Macron had to suspend the fuel tax but I also can sympathize with him considering the violence and broad public support around this anarchy 

He probably felt he had no choice  :blink:

John Milton 

Taxation is theft

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Taxation is theft

But in certain cases its an excellent way to motivate people and corporations to adhere to certain laws and social responsibilities

For example in SA  we had a real water crisis in Cape Town so there was a " water tax " on all water consumed in Cape Town to ensure people used water sparingly and in most cases it worked 

People tend to be very committed to doing the right thing when they know its going to cost them 

John Milton 

Taxation is theft

But in certain cases its an excellent way to motivate people and corporations to adhere to certain laws and social responsibilities

For example in SA  we had a real water crisis in Cape Town so there was a " water tax " on all water consumed in Cape Town to ensure people used water sparingly and in most cases it worked 

People tend to be very committed to doing the right thing when they know its going to cost them 

thats some twisted logic, people are commited to do whatever is its going to cost them

It may work for other products but Ive never seen a "sin tax" (smokes, booze, weed) have the effect of slowing consumption.

true, but thats because:

a) cost is not high enough

b) if it is, there is always way around it

It may work for other products but Ive never seen a "sin tax" (smokes, booze, weed) have the effect of slowing consumption.

Is it supposed to ?  I thought it was to exploit addiction to those substances.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"volo, dont be ungrateful....think of all the good the French have done for Canada. You should be condemning this break down of the rule of law and order in France "

I stand by my comments. The French have never done any good for Kanada. And, I say that being French. Nice try, though.

Also, don't support the police. I just saw a video showing  almost a dozen Francie police officers beating the crap out of someone they had on the ground. No mercy for the French.

I remember when Macaroni was  labeled a god by everyone. How times change. Much like  Turdo. All of them are basically Turnips with a slightly different spin. All Nazis all the time.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Agreed, we also have  a high " sin tax  " around the products you mentioned but in the case of smoking  from what I have observed its just leads to people smoking illegal or cheaper cigarettes 

I am referring to taxes on certain types of fuel or access to water or electricity when there are shortages in some areas. For example in the case of taxes on Diesel when we buy cars in SA people honestly consider what type of car is overall more economical around numerous factors and fuel costs become a factor in the decision making process 

John Milton 

Water should never have a cost. Watered bottles is a crime against humanity.

Its nice for you guys living in first world countries to believe that but in many countries people have to pay for water and when you have droughts these costs can and do increase in the form of taxes\tariffs

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-05-10-cape-town-explains-water-tariffs-pipe-network-costs-more-than-water/

John Milton 

I am sure I don't have to define to you what Marxism is, you can read their manifesto if you didn't but its beside the point. Some of us still remember how real marxism looks like in reality.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/road-safety/news/controversial-eu-labour-rules-tackle-truck-drivers-pay-and-working-conditions/

and:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-budget-agriculture/eu-proposes-to-cut-farm-subsidies-france-says-unacceptable-idUSKBN1I31WW

edit, incorect link

Protectionism is great capitalist method when USA does it, but when rich EU countries do it is Marxism  o:)  

• Like 1

and:

edit, incorect link

Protectionism is great capitalist method when USA does it, but when rich EU countries do it is Marxism  o:)  

well it would be ok if EU country does not do it against other EU members, got it? :)

Taxation is theft

What exactly are taxes stealing?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

and:

edit, incorect link

well it would be ok if EU country does not do it against other EU members, got it? :)

Anti-EUism is good thing until it hits home  o:)

You misspelled "state capitalism".

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Its nice for you guys living in first world countries to believe that but in many countries people have to pay for water and when you have droughts these costs can and do increase in the form of taxes\tariffs"

Never heard of bottled water?

Did you just call Kalifornia a 3rd world country?

LMAO

Bottom line is water should ALWAYS be FREE. No exceptions.

Your way is how the Mad Max/FO style of world comes into being.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.