Weird. Random. Interesting.

Amentep

Mr. Grizzly pampers Tabby Cat for the day!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Woman diagnosed with autism being awesome: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/Fla-Woman-is-1st-Openly-Autistic-Person-to-Practice-Law-in-State-505990651.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_BAYBrand&fbclid=IwAR2KiffoxSVVs-0FQNpY452YJ-ha7GmdVPuV4EIS5E9iAVpuQMEeZcZLmDI

Not a big surprise, really. I'd argue that there are plenty of undiagnosed people doing amazing things all over, but overcoming the label and stigma is a big deal. 

• Like 1

Ancient Earth Globe

plug in your street address and see how geography has changed in the past million years... or hundreds o' millions o' years.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wonder what it tastes like? Whenever I had beef in the Asiatic regions it definately had a slightly different taste than what I was used to from US beef.

has been explained to us asian beef tastes different not so much 'cause o' fundamental differences 'tween cows, but 'cause o' way in which cows is fed.  few folks here in the us has ever actual eaten beef which is fed on nothing save local roughages whereas most asian cows (with the exception o' japan) is more likely to be fed local roughages.  us cows destined for plate as steak typically have a high percentage o' grain in their diet--corn, milo, oats and barley. such diet has a dramatic impact on the taste o' the beef, and such grains is not gonna be common fodder for asian cows.

in our experience, eat steak from a hokkaido cow fed most on grains and is gonna taste near same as typical american beef cow.  eat beef in se asia and you is gonna notice an oddness to beef which is gonna be complete foreign... 'less you has had beef raised on small ranches in the american se which were fed mostly local verdant grasses as 'posed to grains. asian beef, particularly from asian street vendors, tastes familiar... grassy.  sharp?  fishy grassy? 

we tend to talk with cooks and chefs wherever we go.  is amazing how much folks will tell you if you simply ask e'm, particular if what you is asking is something 'bout which they know or like.  admitted, most o' our time in asia has been korea, japan, taiwan, and singapore, so is less zebu and the like, but we also spent a fair amount o' time in the philippines and east timor and a bit o' time in china, cambodia, thailand and laos.  have spent only a small 'mount o' time in indonesia and malaysia as there tends to be far fewer opportunities for a free speech/religion religion guy to be getting an invite from local universities and lawyer associations in those nations.  no good excuse for having only passed through vietnam a couple times. regardless, explanation from local food experts matches our own experience from eating beef not raised for supermarket consumption.  taste o' beef is not so much a result o' fundamental differences in cows but rather in differences in bovine diet.  

HA! Good Fun!

I'll tell you one thing from experience... in a Japanese restaurant in Japan a steak dinner in 1991 set you back about 9k yen. About $70 in those days.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

At 16 years old, Australian explorer Jade Hameister is the youngest person to ever complete the polar hat-trick by reaching the North and South Poles and crossing Greenland, but even she has to deal with loudmouth critics who have opined that her place is in the kitchen. In 2016, after the then-14-year-old become the youngest person to ski to the North Pole from outside the last degree of latitude... (a distance of about 60 miles), she gave a TEDx talk in Melbourne in which she encouraged young women to embrace an adventurous mindset, and to resist societal pressures that discourage them from their ambitions. Male YouTube commenters took offense to Hameister’s message, as users flooded the page with the phrase, “Make me a sandwich,” an internet meme that mocks women for having ambitions aside from making food for a man. She responded :

27067041_1837851382922701_61906071069144

• Like 6

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

why would anybody care if she is a she?  

alternative, gets our shorts in a twist recognizing she is 16.  am assuming she has been doing her dora the explorer bit for the past couple years? am thinking jade didn't put together multiple polar expeditions from paper route savings.  take a whole lotta money to do what she has done and ain't as if she is making a major contribution to science or society by visiting places which has already been discovered.  

Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station

the station has a gift shop.

applaud a kid for her self-indulgent vanity project funded by rich parents who didn't have courage to steer her towards a more constructive outlet?

'course perhaps am bitter 'cause we didn't own a new pair o' shoes 'til we were 16.  am willing to admit we might be looking at this skewed.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is a nerd culture these days ?  Thought it was neckbeard edgelord types ranting online :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Music choice sucks, but I guess you have to be thankful he didn't use Fortunate Son.

52553577_1239233336228055_14188578179215

The breakdown of "punk"...

Wolfenstein: The New Order isn't Diesel-Punk though, neither is Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow or Rocket-Man. Star-Trek isn't Ray-Punk.

Wild Wild West is what Coal-Punk :p

Lol Cassette Futurism....

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

The Wild Wild West is set during the Grant administration (1869 - 1877) and is retroactively considered steampunk (since the term wasn't coined during the years it ran on CBS).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

52553577_1239233336228055_14188578179215

The breakdown of "punk"...

Wolfenstein: The New Order isn't Diesel-Punk though, neither is Sky Captain and the World Of Tomorrow or Rocket-Man. Star-Trek isn't Ray-Punk.

Wild Wild West is what Coal-Punk :p

Lol Cassette Futurism....

I don't see Star Trek in there. Star Trek and its franchise doesn't fit neatly into any of the "punk" categories anyway.

Ray-punk kind of overlaps with Atom-punk in the 50's and 60's because of the science fiction in that era.

Never heard of 'casette futurism'. Kind of looks like 'near future' cyberpunk if you're going from the 70's and 80's though, so, maybe it's a subset of cyberpunk? Or maybe just a precursor to it.

Edited by smjjames

am admitting, this is a new one for us.  am thinking we have a microwave in the garage we ain't yet taken to e-waste for disposal.  might give this a try. probable won't, but...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

I really want "Coal-Punk" to be added to the list to seperare Americas style from Victorian, on paper it doesn't seem like it would validate the difference but the difference is huge when on screen. The title would make sense because it would easily be identifiable with cowboys, the west, and so on.

Im guessing Back To The Future 2 would be considered "Cassette Futurism". I Googled it and apparently it's a real genre lol but there aren't any movies/shows that I can find that go under that.

But yeah, also Alien: Isolation (the game) is apparently considered Cassette Futurism by some because... You use old-school cassettes to save and use old-school crt bowl monitors thousands of years in the future :(

I looked up Tron to see if it counts as Cyberpunk/Cassette Futurism and the results were interesting. I guess Tron is its own genre even when there is alot of punk to the fashion and accessories. The problem is that these types of movies can fit every description of say, the genre "Cyberpunk" for instance and yet not be Cyberpunk. Tron is dark dystopian future - is it really the future or present day in a pc algorithm modulated structure far OS, slavery and communistic world domination is the story there. The virus is techno-nazi and the resistance are underground lower class levels while, etc. Gritty noire-esque world but with bright colors and synth music all around.