Thinking of trying a POTD run with a full party using recruitable characters and only run single classes.  I have not decided what my watcher will be, but I tend to run a lot of melee, so either a ranged or a wizard might be a nice change of pace.  I would be interested in others thoughts about this and what classes you would go with for recruitable characters, and thoughts on single class watcher.

Just realized the title seems like a party of all the same class - not what I meant.

Edited by davlandrum

Single class Wizards and Monks are excellent, so I'd use those. Single class Priest and Druid are fine, I'd use one of those as your buffer/healer. For frontline... Fighter and Barbarian are both all right. Actually, Barbarian is good, but is much more suited to be a dps than a tank. Paladin would be the tankiest, but single class Paladin is really a pointless waste imo. And to round things out, Chanters are probably the third best single class and go well with anything.

Wizard (ranged dps and cc)

Monk (melee dps)

Priest (heals and buffs)

Chanter (does everything, summons and support)

Frontline tank (Fighter is best tank, Barbarian is best dps, Paladin is best support - pick your poison)

That's how I'd do it. Since it's PotD, give everyone a defensive bent - stat stick + small shield for the Wizard, steal Xoti's Lantern for the Priest/Druid, Chanter goes Sasha's sabre + shield and builds very tanky, the frontline uses a shield too (even more favoring Fighter and Paladin imo).

Edited by Clerith
  • Like 1

Single Class Barbarian Serafen with dual hand mortars (and Heaven's Cacophony).

Aim for Heart of Fury (before that you can use Frenzy+Bloodlust and Barbaric Blow). Destroys clustered mobs like a shocking meat grinder.

Add a single class Death Godlike Evoker Wizard. Drop CON and RES. Magran's Favor, Sun and Moon, Prestige, Firethrower Gloves... Make him MC if you want and use Otto Starcat as pet. Look at your Power Level bonuses (Fireball for example).

Add a single class tanky Ranger with Morning Star (ensures that you will always be able to lower enemies' fortitude by 25). You ACC will be very high so usually it's no problem to land a hit vs. deflection. Try Whirling Strikes with dual flails as well to lower reflex in an AoE for you wizard, then evade out of area.

Single Class Priest for +5 PER inspirations and Devotions, Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time in order to keep the Wizard near death but alive while he nukes.

Single class tanky Troubadour with Sasha's Singing Scimitar. Aim for empowered Eld Nary.

Something like that I would try out I guess.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Aim for Heart of Fury (before that you can use Frenzy+Bloodlust and Barbaric Blow). Destroys clustered mobs like a shocking meat grinder.

Add a single class Death Godlike Evoker Wizard. Drop CON and RES. Magran's Favor, Sun and Moon, Prestige, Firethrower Gloves... Make him MC if you want and use Otto Starcat as pet. Look at your Power Level bonuses (Fireball for example).

Add a single class tanky Ranger with Morning Star (ensures that you will always be able to lower enemies' fortitude by 25). You ACC will be very high so usually it's no problem to land a hit vs. deflection. Try Whirling Strikes with dual flails as well to lower reflex in an AoE for you wizard, then evade out of area.

Single Class Priest for +5 PER inspirations and Devotions, Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time in order to keep the Wizard near death but alive while he nukes.

Single class tanky Troubadour with Sasha's Singing Scimitar. Aim for empowered Eld Nary.

Is Eld Nary the primary damage dealer for Chanters now that Dragon Thrashed is less useful?

I have no idea what to get on Chanters any more, so I more or less picked randomly for the story Druid/Chanter (I forgot his name).

I own props to Metaturtle for showing me the awesomeness of Grave Calling sabre vs vessels in his build. The friendly Chillfog it creates is awesome (it even paralyzes in aoe!) and even generates Focus if you're a Cipher. Thing is, a chanter can summon skeletons in every encounter....

You can even stack several chillfogs in one area (easier if you're confused... like a Berserker, but watch out for the hostile effect then)...

The cool thing is that it can be done really early.

Though individually smacking the skellies is quite micro-intensive, so probably not for you...

• Like 1

Some great input here, Thanks everyone!

I own props to Metaturtle for showing me the awesomeness of Grave Calling sabre vs vessels in his build. The friendly Chillfog it creates is awesome (it even paralyzes in aoe!) and even generates Focus if you're a Cipher. Thing is, a chanter can summon skeletons in every encounter....

You can even stack several chillfogs in one area (easier if you're confused... like a Berserker, but watch out for the hostile effect then)...

The cool thing is that it can be done really early.

Though individually smacking the skellies is quite micro-intensive, so probably not for you...

I am a total micro-manager...LOL

Do dual flail stacks -25x2 to reflex? I was thing now, do barb carnage price air -reflex?

No, you'll just have a double chance to apply the reflex debuff and prolong its duration if you apply it more than once.

You could also use a flail and a club to lower reflex and will at the same time - but most of the time you only need one defense to go down in order to land a special AoE spell.

No, you'll just have a double chance to apply the reflex debuff and prolong its duration if you apply it more than once.

You could also use a flail and a club to lower reflex and will at the same time - but most of the time you only need one defense to go down in order to land a special AoE spell.

That's what I'm doing. Alas the only bad thing about weapon debuff modal is only single target. That's why I was thinking of carnage aoe debuff Edited by Archaven

Eld Mary is only accessible by single class chanters and yes, it is very good.

But it's not the only good thing on a Chanter.

What other offensive tools are available then for the Chanter? I am wondering if using the Singing Scimitar and not actually activating Phrases is a viable option for a "melee DPS" Chanter multi-class.

What other offensive tools are available then for the Chanter? I am wondering if using the Singing Scimitar and not actually activating Phrases is a viable option for a "melee DPS" Chanter multi-class.

Seven Nights is great and worth building around, and White Worms is strong at early levels.

• Like 1

A very strong and well rounded party is taking first four people you meet - Eder as tank, Xoti as priest, Aloth as wizard and Seraphen as cipher. You have all roles covered and you can choose freely whatever role you want to pick for yourself.

• Like 1

Seven Nights is great and worth building around, and White Worms is strong at early levels.

Ah, ok. But no weapon DPS builds?

That's what I'm doing. Alas the only bad thing about weapon debuff modal is only single target. That's why I was thinking of carnage aoe debuff

A single class ranger can debuff reflex, will, deflection or fortitude in an AoE with Whirling Strikes. Any class with a melee AoE attack can do that (Barb with HoF, Monk with Whispers otW, Fighters with Clear Out and upgrades).

That's what I'm doing. Alas the only bad thing about weapon debuff modal is only single target. That's why I was thinking of carnage aoe debuff

Carnage no longer does such things. It is merely damage.

However multiclass Fighters can do aoe Clear Out for group debuff.

Many martial pure classes do have access to aoe attacks: Rangers get Whirling Strikes, Barbarians Heart of Fury, Monks Whispers of the Wind.

Edit: Ninja'd!

Edited by Haplok

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Psychovampiric Shield

I did partial run with party of single class only characters. Fighter, cipher and ranger are okay, though engagement-immune Ishiza makes Maia somewhat superior to generic rangers, paladin great. I dislike priest and wizard, because 1-2 casts on each power level encourage to learn spells that are usable under most circumstances, otherwise resources would be wasted, but one does not need more than 1-2 of these on each power level and there are few passives to take instead. That is not to say these classes are weak, just felt uncomfortable to play, especially wizard, because 2 grimoire spells both further decrease need of active abilities and make choices harder to make, give one does not know at level up what grimoires will be available (unless meta/googlegaming a lot).
I can not comment on barbarian, monk or rogue, druid would be presumably mildly better than priest and chanter at least cipher okay.

Generally, the biggest draw is that builds are easy to plan and play. The biggest drawback is that a few single class characters pretty much determine what remaining will or at least should be, unless one is happy with somewhat unbalanced party.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I'm looking too for a single POTD party (with Unity Console to change subclass), I hesitate between differents choices:

MC Trisckter

Xoti Hellwaker

Serafen Berserker or Eder Fighter

Konskanten Trombadour

Aloth Evoker

Is it viable or I need a real Tank and Healer? A Trombadour can full this role? A single class rogue can be interested at high levels?

Thanks for your advices

I re-work my list after reading several posts. I would like to use only single class if possible :

MC Trombadour Sword and Shield (Kons 'stats are too bad to full ths role) Frontline Tank/CC/Summon

Hellwaker Monk Xoti

FuryShaper Konstantein 2H weapons

Aloth Evoker or  Wizard no Subclass

Ydwin Ascendant or Seer (Ghost/No Subclass?) I Think PL8/9 are very good here for my trio melee but I read that the seer vas very efficient and accurate for a ranged build (Red Hand/FrostSeeker)

or 

Teheku Single Druid, love his subclass but I took him in my every game and I want to try Cipher class :(

Any suggestion for the fifth role? If i go Cipher, my healing will be enough?

Cheers

4 hours ago, Fab3686 said:

I re-work my list after reading several posts. I would like to use only single class if possible :

MC Trombadour Sword and Shield (Kons 'stats are too bad to full ths role) Frontline Tank/CC/Summon

Hellwaker Monk Xoti

FuryShaper Konstantein 2H weapons

Aloth Evoker or  Wizard no Subclass

Ydwin Ascendant or Seer (Ghost/No Subclass?) I Think PL8/9 are very good here for my trio melee but I read that the seer vas very efficient and accurate for a ranged build (Red Hand/FrostSeeker)

or 

Teheku Single Druid, love his subclass but I took him in my every game and I want to try Cipher class :(

Any suggestion for the fifth role? If i go Cipher, my healing will be enough?

Cheers

have you played much potd before? IMO you really need a healer class of some sort, so tekehu single druid would be a good pickup for fifth. Without it, all you've got left is some weak mid-late game minimum sustain from troubadour and mid-late game robust from ydwin, which combined imo is nowhere near enough, even with potions and scrolls. (especially because if you rely on a cipher for healing and it's not a psion you are utterly screwed when you don't have good PEN)

Edited by thelee

It will be my first attempt... Ok i need a dedicated healer so. Priest or Druid. Teheku is perfect for this role, carrying debuff and control but I would like to change. I never played a Priest maybe I will try for this game, my tank will need some babysitting the first levels. I can swap Xoti as Priest and get Mirke as Monk.