Pain Block is a great single target heal over time spell. However, a single class cipher doesn't get it until level 7, so you'll need an alternate source of healing for the lower levels. And it is single target; ideally you want healing that can affect multiple party members simultaneously. Chanters and druids are particularly good for this.

1 hour ago, dgray62 said:

Pain Block is a great single target heal over time spell. However, a single class cipher doesn't get it until level 7, so you'll need an alternate source of healing for the lower levels. And it is single target; ideally you want healing that can affect multiple party members simultaneously. Chanters and druids are particularly good for this.

also an important thing to remember is that the cipher can't self-target with pain block. if you're running a vela challenge, you also can't target vela with pain block.

While ciphers are great in a party, a single class cipher can't serve as the primary healer for a party. With the right multiclass, however, you could make a cipher healbot. A psion/troubadour or psion/lifegiver would be great, and could alternate casting spells and cipher powers.

1 hour ago, dgray62 said:

psion/lifegiver would be great

Can confirm. I have a psion/animist right now and they have de facto become my healbot. Can only imagine what a psion/lifegiver would be like.

Alternate druid heals with ancestor's memory and pain block and they pretty much carry the party. Without ancestor's memory there's still a bunch of options, even if it's just to keep interrupting or dominating scary enemies

Psion in general is a subclass that turned out to be way better than I initially thought it was. 

But I also think that it seems it's especially beneficial in multiclass setups, not so much as single class.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

11 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Psion in general is a subclass that turned out to be way better than I initially thought it was. 

But I also think that it seems it's especially beneficial in multiclass setups, not so much as single class.

Multiclass Edit : I meant Single Class basically... grants +1.5 focus per second because of PL (with Prestige). You need some +1 PL to make it actually +2. Might still worth it (also with Shared Nightmare), even if multiclassing with caster sounds better. One good thing with Psion is that it regenerates focus while casting, which is ideal for spamming moderate level powers such as Soul Shock (better than an auto-attack). Beguiler might be better at it though.

The main drawback of Psion is that it stops generating focus when damaged. This is the reason why CP change makes it much much better. I guess it could be tedious to play otherwise.

Edited by Elric Galad

10 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

The main drawback of Psion is that it stops generating focus when damaged. This is the reason why CP change makes it much much better. I guess it could be tedious to play otherwise.

i've had several psions by now, and the stop-when-damaged is not tedious and much less of a big deal than one might think, so long as you aren't being silly and building a melee psion. i think--again--multiclassing psion is beneficial because then you just switch to doing casting more from your secondary class while you wait for focus to start regen again.

1 hour ago, thelee said:

i've had several psions by now, and the stop-when-damaged is not tedious and much less of a big deal than one might think, so long as you aren't being silly and building a melee psion. i think--again--multiclassing psion is beneficial because then you just switch to doing casting more from your secondary class while you wait for focus to start regen again.

Yeah, that ^ :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods