Hello everyone,

I debated, putting this into two separate posts, but figured the concept was born together so perhaps they can stay together. u/ Boeroer can decide

Over the last several days a bunch of us have been working (in another thread) on a solo melee character build designed around PoTD. After much discussion and some testing, we came up with two ideas that seem suitable for a play-through. Currently these builds are untested by me (beyond level 5), so I cannot say for certain whether they will work for an endgame solo play-through. What I did do is test each build up to the Digsite on the first island and completed the Drake fight. I believe this fight to be extremely hard solo, and both these builds can do it without splitting the enemies (positioning is key mind you).

If you'd like to read more on our thread please have a look here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105698-what-is-the-go-to-potd-melee-solo-build-now/

Build Name: Bloodsail – The Pirate Paladin
Subclass(es): Holy Slayer - Goldpact Knights/Streetfighter (BUILD #1)

• Build revolves around getting flanked an/or bloodied and utilizing Streetfighter bonuses to dish out great DPS while using Goldpacts Gilded Enmity to lessen damage, and paladin passives/heals to stay decently tanky. Designed to be either two-handed or two-weapon (you decide). Good for anyone that doesn't mind living on the cusp of death, while taking swaths of enemies at once. Little to NO kiting or mob splitting needed, good positioning is a must.

Subclass(es): Crusader - Goldpact Knights/Devoted (BUILD #2)

• Build revolves standing your ground, Devoted and Goldpact passives/heals make this build very tanky. DPS is good, but you are limited to one weapon so choose wisely. Designed to be either two-handed or two-weapon (you decide). Good for anyone values staying at max health the entire battle (or as much as possible) while doing a decent amount of damage. Little to NO kiting or mob splitting needed, good positioning is a must.

Author: diamondsforever (whimper / Raven Darkholme / baldurs_gate_2 AND more (if you think you should be here let me know I'll add you in :) ))
Game version: 3.0.0.0018
Difficulty: PoTD
Solo: Untested
Companion: No! They steals our glory!

BUILD #1
Class:
Holy Slayer - Goldpact Knights/Streetfighter

Race:
Human

Attributes:
MIG: 18 >> 22 (BB, GoTM, Effigy) >> 23/24 (Gear)
CON: 11 >> 14 (Gear, BB)
DEX: 18 >> 20 (BB) >> 21/22 (Gear)
PER: 18 >> 20 (BB) >> 21 (Cauldron Brew)
INT: 3 >> 5 (BB) >> 1 (Gear)
RES: 10 >> 12 (BB) >> 13/14 (Gear)

Abilities:
Level 1
(GP): Lay on Hands or Flames of Devotion
(SF): Crippling Strike

Level 2
(GP): Deep Faith

Level 3
(GP): Retribution

Level 4
(GP): Zealous Aura
(SF): Dirty Fighting

Level 5*
(GP) / (SF): Two-Handed Style or Two Weapon Style

Level 6
(GP): Lay on Hands or Flames of Devotion

Level 7
(GP): Sworn Rival
(SF): Riposte

Level 8
(SF): Escape

Level 9
(SF): Debilitating Strike

Level 10
(GP): Exalted Endurance
(SF): Persistent Distraction

Level 11
(GP): Divine Purpose

Level 12
(SF): Finishing Blow

Level 13
(GP): Uncanny Luck
(SF): Weapon and Shield Style

Level 14
(SF): Deep Wounds

Level 15
(GP): Inspired Defenses**

Level 16
(GP): Improved Critical
(SF): Slippery Mind

Level 17
(SF): Eliminating Blow

Level 18
(GP): Virtuous Triumph

Level 19
(GP): Stoic Steel**
(SF): Death Blows

Level 20
(GP): Practiced Healer

* Can defeat the Drake encounter on the first island at this point.
** Stacks with Gilded Enmity

Gears:
Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge / Animancer's Energy Blade (for Weapon and Shield Style)
Weapons (OH): Tarn's Respite / Beza's Toothed Blade

or/alt Weapon: Sanguine Great Sword or Whispers of the Endless Paths
or/alt Shield: Bronlar's Phalanx

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT) or Charm of Bones (+2 INT)
Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)
Ring 1: Ring of Mule's Wit (-8 INT)
Ring 2: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES) / Entonia Signet Ring / Voidward
Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers
Cloak: Nemnok's Cloak / Cape of the Falling Star
Head: Cap of the Laughingstock or/alt Helm of the Falcon
Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX) / Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Abraham

Skills:
Athletics: 10
Mechanics: 10
History: MAX

Food:

Shark Soup

BUILD #2
Class:
Crusader - Goldpact Knights/Devoted

Race:
Human

Attributes:
MIG: 14 >> 18 (BB, GoTM, Effigy) >> 19/20 (Gear)
CON: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)
DEX: 16 >> 18 (BB) >> 19/20 (Gear)
PER: 19>> 21 (BB) >> 22 (Cauldron Brew)
INT: 15 >> 17 (BB) >> 18/19 (Gear)
RES: 7 >> 9 (BB) >> 10/11 (Gear)

Abilities:
Level 1
(GP): Flames of Devotion
(DV): Disciplined Barrage

Level 2
(GP): Deep Faith

Level 3
(GP): Retribution

Level 4
(GP): Zealous Aura
(DV): Fighter Stances

Level 5*
(GP) / (SF): Two-Handed Style or Two Weapon Style

Level 6
(GP): Lay on Hands

Level 7
(GP): Sworn Rival
(DV): Disciplined Strikes

Level 8
(GP): Eternal Devotion

Level 9
(GP): Divine Purpose

Level 10
(GP): Exalted Endurance
(DV): Vigorous Defense

Level 11
(DV): Unstoppable

Level 12
(GP): Inspired Defenses**

Level 13
(GP): Uncanny Luck
(DV): Unbending

Level 14
(DV): Conqurerer Stance

Level 15
(DV): Charge

Level 16
(GP): Improved Critical
(DV): Armored Grace

Level 17
(DV): Refreshing Defense

Level 18
(DV): Weapon Specialization

Level 19
(GP): Virtuous Triumph
(DV): Unbending Trunk

Level 20
(DV): Weapon Mastery

* Can defeat the Drake encounter on the first island at this point.
** Stacks with Gilded Enmity

Gears:
Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine / Devil of Caroc Breastplate

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge
Weapons (OH): Tarn's Respite / Beza's Toothed Blade

or/alt Weapon: Sanguine Great Sword or Whispers of the Endless Paths

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT) or Charm of Bones (+2 INT)
Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)
Ring 1: Entonia Signet Ring / Voidward
Ring 2: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)
Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers
Cloak: Nemnok's Cloak / Cape of the Falling Star / Cloak of Greater Deflection
Head: Cap of the Laughingstock or/alt Helm of the Falcon
Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX) / Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Abraham

Skills:
Athletics: 10
Mechanics: 10
History: MAX

Food:

Shark Soup

NOTES: ***SPOILERS***

How to obtain the Cauldron Brew from Outcast’s Respite “Finding the Encoded notes before freeing Tama Watua allows you to and ask for a reward and get the Deciphered notes: It allows to brew in the purple cauldron a potion (depending of the ingredients you have) giving you a permanent +1 to one attribute of your choice.”

To decipher you’ll need one of the following:
Alchemy 15
History 17
INT 20

Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 3

I am running a Crusader version of a build similar to this at the moment. It's this Steam guide build with a few modifications:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400804034

For my playstyle, the Crusader version seems to work much better than the Holy Slayer version, as I was not patient enough to wait until getting Bloodied to heal; nor do I like to micro that much as the Holy Slayer version requires you to do.

But Devoted using sabers? I am not sure about that. But then I am too lazy to switch mid-battle, and too old and forgetful to remember to switch back after the battle. So your experience may be different ;)

I am running a Crusader version of a build similar to this at the moment. It's this Steam guide build with a few modifications:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1400804034

For my playstyle, the Crusader version seems to work much better than the Holy Slayer version, as I was not patient enough to wait until getting Bloodied to heal; nor do I like to micro that much as the Holy Slayer version requires you to do.

But Devoted using sabers? I am not sure about that. But then I am too lazy to switch mid-battle, and too old and forgetful to remember to switch back after the battle. So your experience may be different ;)

I think OP has an option for two handed in there. I’m going to try out the devoted version too. Just need a good name for a new character now.

Just so you know, the Goldpact/Streetfighter build is almost identical to this build.* Obviously, I'm a big fan! :)

(*Which is not unexpected, since there's a logical sequence of decisions that naturally lead to a build of this kind.)

And you helped design this one too :) it was a long process but I think we got there in the end :)

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my current play through.

I'm using BUILD #2 - Crusader - Goldpact Knights/Devoted

IF you are looking for a build that can handle an entire ship battle on her own. This is the class for you. I was just attacked by Red Beard at level 13. I'm still using the basic crew, 100% solo. It was bascially me VS 20 agro's. They hand NO chance against this build. I"m running two-handed just for your reference.

So I've been testing a Holy Slayer (Trickster) and a Swashbuckler (Streetfighter) to level 20 on PotD side-by-side, and it ain't even close. The Holy Slayer did just as much damage as the Swashbuckler, and took about 40 percent of the damage as the Swashbuckler - while obviously contributing all kinds of utility, including buffs, heals, and Paladin-specific debuffs via Glorious Inspiration and the upgrade on it. The only thing the Swashbuckler provided that the Holy Slayer could not is constant interrupts/stuns provided by Charge - especially against faraway casters. Frankly, on the basis of this experience, I do not know why I'd ever want a Fighter multi-class over a Paladin multi-class.

Paladin multi-class characters are too strong - or Fighter multi-class characters too weak?

Edited by Lampros
  • Like 1

So I've been testing a Holy Slayer (Trickster) and a Swashbuckler (Streetfighter) to level 20 on PotD side-by-side, and it ain't even close. The Holy Slayer did just as much damage as the Swashbuckler, and took about 40 percent of the damage as the Swashbuckler - while obviously contributing all kinds of utility, including buffs, heals, and Paladin-specific debuffs via Glorious Inspiration and the upgrade on it. The only thing the Swashbuckler provided that the Holy Slayer could not is constant interrupts/stuns provided by Charge - especially against faraway casters. Frankly, on the basis of this experience, I do not know why I'd ever want a Fighter multi-class over a Paladin multi-class.

Paladin multi-class characters are too strong - or Fighter multi-class characters too weak?

Well I agree, that’s why his post is about Holy Slayer and Crusader, I haven’t found a Swashbuckler build that I think compares to s solo POTD run. ;)

Though I do find fighter has great synergy with Paladin. The constant heals of my Devoted/Goldpact are boarderline stupid. The amount of damage I was able to tank on my last run was insane.

Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

Well I agree, that’s why his post is about Holy Slayer and Crusader, I haven’t found a Swashbuckler build that I think compares to s solo POTD run. ;)

Though I do find fighter has great synergy with Paladin. The constant heals of my Devoted/Goldpact are boarderline stupid. The amount of damage I was able to tank on my last run was insane.

Yes, but I'd think damage would be a bit lacking to what you can do with something like Paladin/Rogue?

What can be done with a Paladin/Fighter to boost his DPS dramatically in a group setting?

Correct Paladin/Rogue has better DPS.

In a group setting, I’ve run dou and full groups. Part of the reason I run solo is because it’s more fun and challenging. I find a lot more micro is needed in a group. DPS-wise another DPS with your main will more than suffice. A chanter in the back giving support and you are on easy street. Throw in a ranged DPS and the spawns will melt.

My last group I made had a trickster/unbroken as a main tank and 3 full dps as support. Nothing could stand up to them. Every agro focused my tank and the DPS cleaned up the spawns.

• Like 1

It is not numerically possible for a Streetfighter Swashbuckler to do less damage then a Trickster Holy Slayer. Unless you were not using your Swashbuckler right and didn't trigger his specials.

Swashbuckler also has much higher Crit chance, so that also can provide a benefit to on-crit effects.

40% of damage taken is possible, but it matters little with Unbending, as you can heal trough most incoming damage.

Of course Paladin wins in the support department.

• Like 1

It is not numerically possible for a Streetfighter Swashbuckler to do less damage then a Trickster Holy Slayer. Unless you were not using your Swashbuckler right and didn't trigger his specials.

Swashbuckler also has much higher Crit chance, so that also can provide a benefit to on-crit effects.

40% of damage taken is possible, but it matters little with Unbending, as you can heal trough most incoming damage.

The streetfighter has the potential to do better damage only if you babysit him the entire fight which becomes tedious very fast.

• Like 1

Yes, there were two main factors:

1. The Holy Slayer was using dual swords; and the Swashbuckler was using dual hammers. And it looks like dual swords consistently do a bit more DPS - even though there are more slash/pierce immunes/resists - because the base damage of hammers is so low. (I don't really understand this decision - either from balance or realism perspective.)

2. I do not like to keep my characters bloodied; so the Swasbuckler was almost always healed to 50 percent-plus health almost instantly.

Relatedly, in the early part of the game I had to use Withdraw multiple times to get him out of the fight constantly (when I had no Barring Death's Door), because otherwise he would have died.

Still, even with all this considered, I was unimpressed with the Swashbuckler DPS - though partly because my expectations were so high. Regardless, I think Holy Slayers are better characters overall - when damage avoidance/mitigation and utility are also considered.

• Like 1

The streetfighter has the potential to do better damage only if you babysit him the entire fight which becomes tedious very fast.

As I like to say: dps is really low if you have 0 health. ;)

Exactly!

Anyways, guys, none of you answered my primary question: Can Paladin/Monk do comparable or better DPS relative to Paladin/Rogue? And if yes, do I need to go the Helwalker route to do it? I suspect I won't enjoy Helwalker for the same reason I didn't enjoy Swashbuckler as much.

Edit: Correction - I asked this question in another thread. Oops!

Edited by Lampros

FWIW, with the right equipment choices I haven't found it to be that bad. Pile on items that provide increasing damage reduction/deflection/armor/defense bonuses as you lose health, and you'll find you quickly get bloodied (because those items aren't doing much), but then tend to stay there (because all of these defensive boosts kick in).

Given a Paladin/Streetfighter combo, I believe you can set up the AI to kick in Exalted Endurance when you hit 50% health, and a Lay on Hands when you hit 25% health, no? With that in place, you don't have to do that much micromanaging.

EDIT: Also, the main Streetfighter boosts only require flanked or bloodied. So as long as you make sure you're flanked most of the time (say, by using Escape to teleport into the middle of crowds of enemies) you can get most of the benefits of being a Streetfighter.

Edited by whimper
  • Like 1

Anyways, guys, none of you answered my primary question: Can Paladin/Monk do comparable or better DPS relative to Paladin/Rogue? And if yes, do I need to go the Helwalker route to do it? I suspect I won't enjoy Helwalker for the same reason I didn't enjoy Swashbuckler as much.

Edit: Correction - I asked this question in another thread. Oops!

Single target he cannot. And yes, I think Helwalker is necessary if you want to even be in the same ballpark.

• Like 1