Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

Heh Tor - Medieval Matters: The Many sins of Braveheart

"Wallace and company screaming for “freedom!” in their Pict-paint while dressed up in 17th-century kilts on a bridge-less meadow is the equivalent of me making a movie about the Battle of Bunker Hill in which I dress the American colonials in Star Trek uniforms, paint their faces with made-up “Native American” designs … and then shot the film in a Florida parking lot."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My Dinner With Herve.

It's a really well done film. Emotional ups and downs with some great performances.  One minue it's funny and crazy with the stories of his life, then it's choke you up with sadness.

Peter Dinklage and Jamie Dornan have great chemistry as the reporter sent on a throwaway interview and "the most famous dwarf in the world" lost in the memories of past success and excess.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Brief history of Carol Danvers in the comics as I recall it -

• Carol, working for the military, is exposed to ancient Kree technology while helping Mar-Vel (Captain Marvel)
  • Carol develops powers like Captain Marvel's due to ancient Kree technology bonding Mar-Vel's genetics to hers, begins career as Ms. Marvel
  • Carol is attacked by Rogue at the behest of Mystique.  Rogue's powers and the genetic manipulation from the ancient Kree technology create an unpredicted surge in Rogue's powers.  Rogue steals Carol's powers (which is why she has flight, invulnerability, and super strength) permanently and her memories (which Professor Xavier helps her with; eventually Rogue fights an entity made of the memories and defeats them ending that storyline)
  • Carol is abducted by the alien race The Brood who further mess with her genetics, giving her the power of a star.  She goes by the name Binary, using her powers (star energy blasts, altered energy form) and eventually regains most of her memories
  • Carol burns out her Binary powers saving the sun, but now has her Ms. Marvel powers but at drastically reduced strength and takes the code-name Warbird
  • Carol eventually gets all of her powers more-or-less restored and after helping a briefly resurrected Mar-Vel fight the Phoenix force takes on the code name Captain Marvel

The movie seems to be starting her off with all her powers wrapped into one (which makes sense, as trying to condense 30 years of storylines into a movie would be silly).

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

#1 rule of being a hero: Don't brag about being a hero. Let others do it. Your actions should speak the truth.  Captain Marvel failed within 30 seconds of this trailer. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Paranormal Activity.

Goddamn was that woman(Katie) annoying! I could sympathize with both the boyfriend and the demon. Would have thrown her out of the house in the very first scene: get the f- out and take your demon with you!

• Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Best thing in that cpt marvel trailer is Sam and cat.

the Avengers trailer makes me feel like I never saw the last one (no clue what's up in trailer in other words) but I'm pretty sure I did....

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mowgli - Pretty cool, closer to the book and darker than the Disney versions. Some of the CG's a bit meh and Counterstrike Overwatch's Shere Khan voice is distracting if you've heard his Smaug.

Crazy Rich Asians - Well made romcom with pretty good performances and quite a few laughs.

Slenderman - Has a couple of cool sequences but mostly boring and had some of the worst lighting I've ever seen. It's not dark and atmospheric, just dark and hard to see.

A few days ago I watched Falling Down again.

Never gets old, one of the best movies ever.

Love the movie, hate the ending. It always felt forced, as in he needs to be a bad guy because otherwise the film would be accused of promoting violence, even though for most of it he is a sympathetic character.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A few days ago I watched Falling Down again.

Never gets old, one of the best movies ever.

Love the movie, hate the ending. It always felt forced, as in he needs to be a bad guy because otherwise the film would be accused of promoting violence, even though for most of it he is a sympathetic character.

Actually, the second he left his car, my impression was like 'hey, this isn't going to end well'.

I also liked the final conversation between the cop and the dude: 'you might have been lied to, but that doesn't give you the right to do what you want'.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I really hope the new Marvel streaming service is structured like DC's. I'm just glad Marvel won't be tacked on to the Disney streamimg app because I'd rather pay for a separate dedicated app than use the same one, ya know?

If you don't, you probably haven't heard of DC Universe or know how great they structured it. There's just so much content and the structure is truly next-gen that it makes Hulu/Amazon Prime and Hulu do inferior.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...