RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

DRAGON QUEST XI RELEASES ON TUESDAY! THIS IS NOT A DRILL. I REPEAT, DRAGON QUEST XI RELEASES ON TUESDAY!

https://youtu.be/1zRwkJuwkjg

Apropos BioWare: Are there still hardcore Bio fanboys left on these forums? I thought the bloom has been off that rose for quite a while.

I imagine they would have left for one of the unofficial BioWare forums.

Hopefully DQ9 won't be as archaic as the rest in the series.

DQ11.

It looks to be fairly archaic, but solid. It has a 3DS version which is a graphically simplified version. But the 3DS version can either be in 3D or classic DQ 2D. Which is wild.

I'll say this game has some of the better character designs that I've seen come out of Japan in a hot minute.

• Like 1

It surely helps that the same artist who came up with the character designs for Dragon Ball Z is the same artist for Dragon Quest XI.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

DQ11.

It looks to be fairly archaic, but solid. It has a 3DS version which is a graphically simplified version. But the 3DS version can either be in 3D or classic DQ 2D. Which is wild.

I'll say this game has some of the better character designs that I've seen come out of Japan in a hot minute.

Whatever happened to 9 and 10?

DQ 10 was MMO afaik. DQ IX was Nintendo DS or 3DS exclusive title. Correct me if I am wrong.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

On what though?

On Asian market I believe (DQ10 was on WiiU and PS4, DQ9 was on 3DS, they were Japanese language only) , so it doesn't really count for 90% of gamers - even if 90% of DQ's fanbase in Asia based. They've stated several times that if DQ11 does well in the West that they will do proper (actual) releases for both 9 and 10. We'll see if they will stay true to their word though.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

On what though?

On Asian market I believe (DQ10 was on WiiU and PS4, DQ9 was on 3DS, they were Japanese language only) , so it doesn't really count for 90% of gamers - even if 90% of DQ's fanbase in Asia based. They've stated several times that if DQ11 does well in the West that they will do proper (actual) releases for both 9 and 10. We'll see if they will stay true to their word though.

Well that explains that.

I used to love the games when I was younger, but I got fed up with 7 and 8 when I got the re releases on the 3ds.

Retro gamers tend to gravitate more towards the handheld versions, more hardcore rpg players tend to stay with the console versions and ignore the handheld versions altogether. The phone (iOS/Google Play) versions are for the most ancient of deeicated franchise fans. Touch controls are amazing. When are they not?

Well, it's not surprising that the majority of pre-orders in the West for DQ11 are from newcomers who have never played a DQ game before but maybe are getting it for other reasons - maybe simply because it's a Jrpg, maybe it's because of the beautiful art style, maybe because akira toriyama was involved or other reasons.

Apparently there is a 3DS version for DQ11 but it's ugly (as expected). The top screen is 3D and the bottom is 2D pixel art which shows exactly what you're doing in real-time, this was done specifically to cater to retro gamers to offer the best of both worlds, just don't expect it to be in any way pretty - even for general sprites.

There was a Switch version but it seems there has been alot of development hell with it so it's very quiet, I don't suspect we will hear many news about it until far after the PS4/PC versions are released.

The console/PC version of DQ11 is also the first in the series to feature lip-syncing which is bigger than fans of the series care to admit. The goal here was to make the game appeal to modern Jrpg gamers and it works well in doing that. Time will tell if it is successful enough in sales but it's looking to do well, reviews seem to be good enough. Then again, we've seen games fail miserably without reason lately so there's always a possibility of being the last DQ we get over yonder. Either way, make way for a colorful addition to Jrpg's! :)

Ain't you afraid to piss of a large chunk of this forum's denizens who believe that Baldur's Gate (of Bioware's) is alpha and omega of gaming?

Anyway. I wish that this bland derivative shoot'n'looter was out already, so it could flop, EA would do that thing it does and those few creative people that still remain within zombioware would go and join good studios or create their own and start making good games again. Because it's kind of painful to observe this slow agony of once great studio.

Nah, because Baldur's Gate came out before Bioware took a turn for the worse and we're all edgelords here who would never admit to linking a BioWare game made after the first Mass Effect (if even that). :yes:

Pretty much this, yeah :)

Also, if anyone really does take offence to some gibing, it would just give me a reason to avoid that person. Best case we could do some headbutting on the finer points of how Biowares quality has gone down the drain.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Finally, an interesting and genuine space game...

I speak for all of you when I say "I am looking forward to seeing more of this!"

Meh... Old-Skool but will it actually be good or will it be overhyped and oveerated like the old ones? We shall see.

Heh...

Nevermind, found this. It very much looks just as awful as the old ones. How disappointing. Was hoping for high res pixel art or hand-drawn art to match the trailer's look at least.

At least this one is being touted for being more difficult and longer than th3 others. At least it has that going for it.

Edit:

God the music and sound effects are absolutely horrid.

Edited by SonicMage117

I'm not particularly looking for Dragon Quest XI to reinvent the formula. I want a good story, memorable characters, and the turn-based combat they've had for 30 years. The reviews I've read seem to suggest that's exactly what this game delivers.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

One of the best (and best looking) games of the year just keeps getting better!

A very interesting castle siege game... Hmmm.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-conversation-system-allows-for-two-dialogue-choices

During a Q&A session at a pre-panel press briefing on Anthem at PAX West, BioWare debuted footage of the conversation system players will use in Fort Tarsis, the singleplayer area players visit between multiplayer missions.

Forgoing the complex conversation wheel of previous BioWare games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Anthem will only allow for two dialogue choices in conversations. The two choices aren't aligned with a morality system of any kind, but do differ in tone slightly.

When asked why the system was simplified for Anthem, executive producer Mark Darrah replied, "We are showing this to an audience that is not used to these kind of decisions and conversations. We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices."

Well they do have a point about players being not used to this kind of interaction :p

I can't have been the only one who paged back through the thread thinking this was a parody on something I missed, right? Right...? Folks......?!

• Like 1

Heh...

Nevermind, found this. It very much looks just as awful as the old ones. How disappointing. Was hoping for high res pixel art or hand-drawn art to match the trailer's look at least.

At least this one is being touted for being more difficult and longer than th3 others. At least it has that going for it.

Edit:

God the music and sound effects are absolutely horrid.

That's not Streets of Rage 4 that's a fan game and it looks awful. The SoR Remake made by fans wasn't bad, combines all 3 games, adds new content, looks like SoR 3, plays well.

Streets of Rage 4 at least doesn't look awful, I'm not sure I prefer the style though. I'm sceptical someone can make a sequel that's any good. SoR 2 is one of my favourite games, I still play it, it stills looks and sounds great.

I can't have been the only one who paged back through the thread thinking this was a parody on something I missed, right? Right...? Folks......?!

Hold on to your hat, it's a brave new world...

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPatVVQVVLc

It's amazing how far Doom mods have come.

THAT LOOKA AMAZING Edited by SonicMage117

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-conversation-system-allows-for-two-dialogue-choices

During a Q&A session at a pre-panel press briefing on Anthem at PAX West, BioWare debuted footage of the conversation system players will use in Fort Tarsis, the singleplayer area players visit between multiplayer missions.

Forgoing the complex conversation wheel of previous BioWare games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, Anthem will only allow for two dialogue choices in conversations. The two choices aren't aligned with a morality system of any kind, but do differ in tone slightly.

When asked why the system was simplified for Anthem, executive producer Mark Darrah replied, "We are showing this to an audience that is not used to these kind of decisions and conversations. We wanted to keep it simpler, but we also don't want to present you with any false choices."

Well they do have a point about players being not used to this kind of interaction :p

So we are heading to what happens in the movie Idiocracy.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

So we are heading to what happens in the movie Idiocracy.

While I don't disagree, consider that the talking suit is not being honest. Focus on the "false choice" aspect. Most games only provide binary choices anyway, Bioware included. Attempting to provide the illusion of greater choice is a development hassle. The dishonest corporate response is just a cover for them saying they don't want to rise above themselves. It's also a multiplayer driven action game. Temper your expectations of plot accordingly.

If they do something about the mini-games (I would suggest "Delete") I might be able to look past the timed conversations. If they do neither the likelihood I get any farther in than in the original is pretty much non-existent.