Political Thread XX

Amentep

To be fair, don't you guys have literally the best public school system in the world with the highest paid teachers? Or did random internet infographics lie to me again?

It is one of the best school system and in the world. Teachers salary is high with quite lot of paid holidays, but that is true also on private schools.

Oh yeah? Well Finland guess what we have that your don't??? Summer! :p

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Quote of the day “Behind every law there are people with guns who will put you in a cage. And if you don’t want to go into the cage they will kill you.“

Larry Sharpe (L) candidate for New York Governor and hopefully future President of the United States

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And a lot of people out there who will kill you without that law too.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The difference being you are allowed to defend yourself from violence unless it’s the government being violent to you.

Thomas Sowell

Quote of the day “Behind every law there are people with guns who will put you in a cage. And if you don’t want to go into the cage they will kill you.“

Larry Sharpe (L) candidate for New York Governor and hopefully future President of the United States

I thought Libertarians generally weren't anti-police (as an institution of enforcing law anyway)?

Edited by smjjames

James, I do not call you out on this because it really doesn’t matter. But you should definitely visit a few website and read a few books. Just about everything you think you know about the libertarians is wrong.

Thomas Sowell

The difference being you are allowed to defend yourself from violence unless it’s the government being violent to you.

Well, wasn't talking only about violence strictly as I assume that Libertarian was talking about as well. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well no ****, the state being an organ of repression is widely accepted among almost every ideology.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"ELI5: the monopoly on violence"

But really, someone saying that with even a hint of disapproval rather than as a purely factual exposition while simultaneously running for an office that necessitates the very thing he's decrying has to be either a total demagogue or plain old stupid. Take your pick.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If you want to change the relationship between the government and the people you have three options.

1. Revolution
  2. Go somewhere else and start over
  3. Elect people who agree it should be changed.

Option 1 is not desirable for a lot of reasons. Option 2, well we are fresh out of somewhere elses. Option 3 seems the way to go. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe LP candidates will simply become the people they replace. We don't know. We DO know what we are getting now however. There are many who find it unacceptable and many more who might when/if they realize there are other options. Do nothing and nothing ever changes.

Thomas Sowell

If you want to change the relationship between the government and the people you have three options.

• Revolution
  • Go somewhere else and start over
  • Elect people who agree it should be changed.
Option 1 is not desirable for a lot of reasons. Option 2, well we are fresh out of somewhere elses. Option 3 seems the way to go. Maybe nothing will change. Maybe LP candidates will simply become the people they replace. We don't know. We DO know what we are getting now however. There are many who find it unacceptable and many more who might when/if they realize there are other options. Do nothing and nothing ever changes.
That assumes Sharpe and the LP want to change it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the LP fully supports protection of property codified into law as well as the "standard laws" against murder, rape, etc. Who do you think will enforce that and what do you think they will do to those violating the law?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• Revolution
  • Go somewhere else and start over
  • Elect people who agree it should be changed.
That assumes Sharpe and the LP want to change it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the LP fully supports protection of property codified into law as well as the "standard laws" against murder, rape, etc. Who do you think will enforce that and what do you think they will do to those violating the law?

That was my thinking with the comment earlier, I get the beef that Libertarians have against government overenforcement, but as KaineParker says, if you remove the enforcement of the law, then who is going to enforce the law? It's a real chicken and egg problem because unless you want to abide by the honor system, you need someone to enforce the law, whether it's a village elder, tribal chieftian, shaman, what-have-you, and deputies that the community trusts.

As for changing the system, if it were me, I'd start with the Democrats and Republicans who want to change the system and allow for third parties to flourish better, to open the door for what you say. I'd probably start by allowing the major third parties into the debates with the two main parties.

Edited by smjjames

Maybe nothing will change. Maybe LP candidates will simply become the people they replace. We don't know. 

But we do. Anyone running for office at even the local workers' council level is a statist at heart and not really interested in "changing the relationship between the government and the people" in a fundamental way. Anyone running for office while also censuring the state's monopoly on violence is just a statist who thinks his **** don't stink.

Minarchism is your jam. Okay. Even the smallest state requires that people are deprived of the right (if not the ability) to exercise their discretion with regards to the use of force in general and especially against it because ultimately any law is useless if there is no way to physically ensure compliance. That and your other bane, the prerogative to raise taxes, are the indispensable foundations of any  state—even those which aren't actual states on paper, such as territories ruled by warlords.

Sorry my dude, it's either full-on egoist anarchism or statism.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sometimes I go out of the house for a walk and I have to dodge motorcycles that drive in the pedestrian area, people that say all kinds of words to each other, not a single rule is respected and then I begin to ask myself: 'do my fellow Iranians really deserve anything better than the mullah regime?!'

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: There are to many numb nuts and too few good people here. It ain't worth the time, the effort or the resources. Sanctions are great but please don't waste any of your missiles here, people will start eating each other in a few decades from now.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

NYTimes - New Russian hacking targeted Republican groups according to Microsoft

The Russian military intelligence unit that sought to influence the 2016 election appears to have a new target: conservative American think tanks that have broken with President Trump and are seeking continued sanctions against Moscow, exposing oligarchs or pressing for human rights.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sorry my dude, it's either full-on egoist anarchism or statism.

This but unironically.

8 guilties for Manafort and Cohen takes a plea deal

Manafort verdict:

5 counts tax fraud: Guilty

2 counts bank fraud: Guilty

1 count failure to disclose foreign bank account: Guilty

10 counts: Jury unable to reach consensus

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

All these charges at elikely all for the same set of crimes. A loty easit to get things to stick when you charge someone with 50 'different' crimes for the same actual crime. L;MAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No worries. You guys have those fancy new Qaher-313 and F-5 Kowsar aircraft with which to smite the hell out of us.

You mean those cheap knock-offs of North-Korean missiles? I feel...scorned. :grin:

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.