Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bard's Tale IV and flop of 3 abilities per character

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

Bard's Tale is going to be released September 18th and it turns out it may have three or five abilities per character including regular attack. Yes, you heard me right. two special abilities and one attack ability.

I can see this being a flop. Buy it now on dev page or wait for fast and furious discount?

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 764 posts

Doesn't seem like it:

Early review

"Each archetype also contains a different set of skill trees, with a variety of different skills to experiment with."

I think you misunderstood some info, from the video below it seems you start with 3 abilities:

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Some people have played beta and on dev forums there was a outrage about this.
It also seems devs didn't even acknowledge the problem, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Melusina, 17 July 2018 - 05:27 PM.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3832 posts

I wish PoE only had three abilities per character.

• SadExchange likes this

marelooke

marelooke

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doesn't seem like it:

Early review

"Each archetype also contains a different set of skill trees, with a variety of different skills to experiment with."

I think you misunderstood some info, from the video below it seems you start with 3 abilities:

The UI in the demo doesn't seem to leave any room for more than three skills though. Hasn't really bothered me so far but then again, it's only a small part of the early game.

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 819 posts
Well 3 abilities per class is around the same ud use as a martial class in PoE2. Just because u have an option to use others don't mean u will because of efficiency vs resources

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5769 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It is my understanding that cRPG players will only use the most optimal path, to the detriment of their own game. So if anything Bards Tale sounds like it has 2 too many choices. :p

• marelooke, Heijoushin and Dorftek like this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Press A for awesome

• Mamoulian War and marelooke like this

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Press A for awesome

Press R for repetitive. :D

• ShadySands, Mamoulian War and marelooke like this

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3622 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Looks like Mass Effect: Andromeda gave game industry more than silly cutscenes. But it’s not good thing either :p

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2530 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It is my understanding that cRPG players will only use the most optimal path, to the detriment of their own game. So if anything Bards Tale sounds like it has 2 too many choices. :p

I will always prefer button mashing to player choice, I'm still waiting for the day where multi-branching can compare to preset linearity in terms of story and structured gameplay.

Edited by SonicMage117, 24 July 2018 - 07:47 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5769 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

But there really isnt any "choice". Ive seen it stated over and over, if A is better than B, many (most?) players will choose A regardless of role playing or personal choice. They literally cannot help themselves. Whats the point pissing away resources on two more trees that nobody will use anyway?

• Keyrock and SonicMage117 like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2530 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Egg-Sack-Li!" said the Spider named Jackie Chan.

All those resources put into "multi-branching" wasted and some people still wonder why an 8-12 hour no filler, linear rpg could possibly be better written and put together in a complete state moreso than the 60-80 hour rpg. I blame the developers for continuing to the same mistakes and also the consumers for supporting these types of things. I have more a problem with this than dlc's or locked content, I know most gamers will agree with me. This is, indeed what holds storytelling back within the industry, and yet it will be supported til the end - unfortunately.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3622 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

But there really isnt any "choice". Ive seen it stated over and over, if A is better than B, many (most?) players will choose A regardless of role playing or personal choice. They literally cannot help themselves. Whats the point pissing away resources on two more trees that nobody will use anyway?

If choice A is better than choice B, then the game design is bad. Good design makes both choices appealing to pick for players.
  • the_dog_days and Hawke64 like this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm still waiting for the day where multi-branching can compare to preset linearity in terms of story and structured gameplay.

Well, I think that narrative coherence and non-linearity are on opposite ends of the same spectrum in an interactive medium. You can have non-interactive, non-linear storytelling that is still coherent like e.g. The Time Traveller's Wife or Memento but as soon as you allow the viewer (well, player in case of games) to actually alter what is happening you inevitably end up with a event progression that's increasingly less coherent based on the amount of freedom given.

It's not a matter of the technology or budget at hand. Sure with unlimited size and money you could create a branching tree type of game where the narrative branches never collapse on a critical path but that would be having several narratives, not one coherent narrative. Since that is not really feasible the common solution is to have a directed network of choices - a narrative where everything eventually collapses on a single point before branching out to (possible) different endings.

And yes - quite frankly, if you leave the directed network out of the design, the narrative automatically becomes more focused by virtue of being, uhm, the single focus or the narrative structure.

Although that has nothing to do with skill trees. Eh...

Melusina

Melusina

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Game flopped hard. Unfortunately.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3108 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Already?

• the_dog_days likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10463 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Awful, awful reviews on launch, serious optimisation issues, and very haphazard media coverage on a niche RPG with terrible clunky UI and B-grade graphics? It ain't making any big bucks, ever.

As for the entirely separate question of whether it's a fun game to play - too early to tell, I'm waiting until real people have put a few hours into it.

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3797 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
That's why Fargo said he buys Interplay if this game sells a couple million copies. Sure as hell won't happen. :>

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2041 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's why Fargo said he buys Interplay if this game sells a couple million copies. Sure as hell won't happen. :>

Oh, so that was deep reaching into the heart-pockets of whales? Yikes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users