BUG - High level items in crookspur beach behind merchant

Beraths blessing only adds another 2 points of mech thats not that big a difference. I didnt go see the skill trainer or use the pet that gives the mech bonus so even if there was no beraths blessings used i still could go get all this stuff at level 6

I‘m OK to be able to get a legendary weapon after leaving porte major, BUT it has to come from a legendary combat! Like the Carsomyr comes from the red dragon, you can get it once you leave the dungeon(if you are able to beat that dragon ofc).

No. There seems to be progression in these weapons/items. If you lock it behind a later game fights, it basically means no incentive to have that weapon at all. If let's say it's only a bearable fight that is completable once you reached level 15, then for 80% of the game you don't get to use it at all. Right now i see weapons and armors progression is locked behind AR and Penetration. It's kinda crazy when i see +30K gold to upgrade exceptional to legendary (which is just +1 PEN or +1 AR). I would like more rewards for upgrading to legendary (not just mere +1 Pen or +1 AR).

Getting the items or weapons earlier is not an issue. Just add level requirement and problem solved.

Edited by Archaven

Beraths blessing only adds another 2 points of mech thats not that big a difference. I didnt go see the skill trainer or use the pet that gives the mech bonus so even if there was no beraths blessings used i still could go get all this stuff at level 6

I think I've debated my points enough, so I'm close to disengaging on this thread.  But I'll point out that, not surprisingly, no pet gives a Mechanics bonus.  At least as far as I know, and I doubled checked several sources just now.

In fact, as I think about it, unlike most skills/attributes there are very few ways to boost Mechanics in the game.  Exactly one item boosts it by 2, and there's only one in the whole game (IIRC).  There's a consumable that can add +2 for a short time and there's the prostitute bonus that gives a +1 to all skills, including Mechanics.  Thrown in the trainer and it's easily the least boostable stat in the game.

But there's no tavern where you can boost Mechanics via rest.  Can't get multiple items to boost it on a single character.  Can't get multiple items to put it on more than one person (which would help Party Assist).

Now you CAN give every Thief's Putty to help with Party Assist.  But that's just about the only way to get multiple sources of Mechanics boost in the game, and that still pales in comparison to all of the other skills/attributes.

So when it comes right down to it, Mechanics is already pretty restricted compared to all other skills in the game.

Sooo, your point is that if someone KNOWS where the good stuff is and KNOWS what's required and how to specifically boost his character starting straight from creation to be able snatch it, he just can do it and all that stops him from becoming stronger too fast is a little self-control on his own part? Wow.

Look, your point is, getting good loot can be too easy if you play cheesy, which will break progression, BUT:

• so is taking beraths blessings (not judging, running them myself atm)
  • so is purposefully creating a very strong character/party by using pre-designed builds from this forum's threads that you may not have come up with yourself
  • Stuff you find there is not universally useful to every char or party
  • You're free to just buy the stuff regularly once you can stem the paywall. Or ignore the stuff entirely. Or let some psychic Bleakwalker pay a visit to Crookspur, explaining everybody there in-depth his stance on slavery, using their entrails as visual aides.
  • A newbie wouldn't know where the stuff is and if they look it up before playing -> they only have themselves to blame for the spoilers and breaks of immersion+progression

What exactly do you intend OBS to do here? Teach you (and others) some self-control? A 15 lock is enough to stop most parties at the beginning from obtaining the stuff. The rest just want it too bad and this also has to be factored in.

PS: I think you fell for a troll attempt when agreeing looting Splintered Reef would also be too easy.

PPS: It's not for free. Pay your crew, maggot! :)

• Like 1

After going back there with another save, you didn't mention the fact that those crates have locks of difficulty 15.  I think if someone invests in enough stealth to get by them (the merchants there have fairly high stealth detection) AND enough points in mechanics to pick diff 15 locks, then that's up to them to spend their points that way.

There are more than a few areas once folks leave Port Maje  where folks can get good/great items if they plow all of their points into stealth/mechanics.  This is the downside to an Open World design.  If someone knows where stuff is at, they can pop in, grab it, and then pop out.  Same thing can be done by plowing through Nekataka and grabbing loot off of various merchants or various other places in the world.

Even in open world, endgame items (items designed to be used for endgame content) can be made accessible only under certain "endgame conditions". For example, as it was mentioned being a drop from a powerful enemy which cannot be defeated by low-level characters, or locked behind an unpickable door which can be accessed only through following certain quest line, etc.

It's not a problem of open world design, its a problem of game philosophy: Do we allow players to access endgame items early or not? Apparently, the answer is, for whatever reason, positive. 

Edited by knownastherat

PPS: It's not for free. Pay your crew, maggot! :)

It's not even remotely 'for free', the Burglar gloves are what, 5K? Skill trainer on Dunnage is 3K. For something being 'for free', 'straight after leaving port maje' there sure is a lot of specific investment and required stopovers. I'm completely fine with letting people who come in omniscient juke out stuff without everything being hard-gated. Since combat is not the only way to resolve things in these games, I'm also fine with combat not being the only way to acquire things.

• Like 4

In 1.2 there is maybe a lvl 15 lock on the crates, but right now there is none. You just have to have 10 in stealth or just kill the merchant. I did that with Level 8 Herald solo.

I liked Fallout 2, where you could get the best armor and the best plasma rifle right after you left the prolog town xd It was cheesy, but possible if you know how and thats the good thing about open world.

In some games they hide it behind level restrictions or stats restrictions like str / dex. I love the games where they don't do that.

Well its the armour with the highest armour rating in the game we are talking about here 14AR.

Just insane for a level 4 guy to be able to get that Without beraths blessings

A level 4 character can have a max of 6 ranks in Mechanics, and only if they are a character that gives +2 at character creation from class selection and +1 from character background.

Burglar gloves (which have to be bought) gives +2 and there's exactly one in the entire game.

Thief's Putty (which has to be be bought) is a per-use item which gives +2.

Training (which has to be bought AND can only be on the main character) gives +1

Prostitute boon (which has to be bought, is exclusive from other boons, AND has to be on the main character) is +1

That's still "only" +12, which means you need Party Assist.

Meanwhile you didn't put any points into Stealth, or anything else for that matter, so someone else will have to actually go in and grab it.  And at that level, it'll have to be a dedicated Only Stealth character,

So, yes, if you build a character/party EXACTLY with the goal of being able to pick a 15 level lock you can.  But you have to restrict it to certain classes, certain backgrounds, AND zip all over the world to do it. 

In short, you have to make a cheese build.  It is hardly "just after I leave from Port Maje".

Meanwhile you have no points in anything else useful.  And are restricted to a character class/background you might not want.  You can always retrain (which is MORE money down the drain), but, again, we're far past the normal point of cheese here.

====

tl;dr:  A level 15 lock is a perfectly valid speed bump and is a nice target for a normal mid-game party.  If you have two characters with 8 or so ranks of Mechanics each (which is around level 9 or 10 or so I'd say for folks alternating skill ranks between two skills on level up), you should be able to do it, with a possible item needed.

Crookspur "naturally" comes around the mid-game, just a bit after Hasango when all of the factions start pointing you there, and is fairly doable even for parties before then.

But the way the skill system works, one can abuse it if one really tries hard.  Emphasis on try hard.  But you have to set your mind to it and you're gimping yourself everywhere else.

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 2

Well its the armour with the highest armour rating in the game we are talking about here 14AR.

Just insane for a level 4 guy to be able to get that Without beraths blessings

A level 4 character can have a max of 6 ranks in Mechanics, and only if they are a character that gives +2 at character creation from class selection and +1 from character background.

Burglar gloves (which have to be bought) gives +2 and there's exactly one in the entire game.

Thief's Putty (which has to be be bought) is a per-use item which gives +2.

Training (which has to be bought AND can only be on the main character) gives +1

Prostitute boon (which has to be bought, is exclusive from other boons, AND has to be on the main character) is +1

That's still "only" +12, which means you need Party Assist.

Meanwhile you didn't put any points into Stealth, or anything else for that matter, so someone else will have to actually go in and grab it.  And at that level, it'll have to be a dedicated Only Stealth character,

So, yes, if you build a character/party EXACTLY with the goal of being able to pick a 15 level lock you can.  But you have to restrict it to certain classes, certain backgrounds, AND zip all over the world to do it. 

In short, you have to make a cheese build.  It is hardly "just after I leave from Port Maje".

Meanwhile you have no points in anything else useful.  And are restricted to a character class/background you might not want.  You can always retrain (which is MORE money down the drain), but, again, we're far past the normal point of cheese here.

====

tl;dr:  A level 15 lock is a perfectly valid speed bump and is a nice target for a normal mid-game party.  If you have two characters with 8 or so ranks of Mechanics each (which is around level 9 or 10 or so I'd say for folks alternating skill ranks between two skills on level up), you should be able to do it, with a possible item needed.

Crookspur "naturally" comes around the mid-game, just a bit after Hasango when all of the factions start pointing you there, and is fairly doable even for parties before then.

But the way the skill system works, one can abuse it if one really tries hard.  Emphasis on try hard.  But you have to set your mind to it and you're gimping yourself everywhere else.

You can always 'rob' the value things with high mechanism and respec out to other skills, I don't see any issue here, respec all your characters, go full mechanism, steal the **** out of the NPCs, respec out, how hard is this? No, how early is this? After you leave porte majo.

Hey all,

I will get this evaluated, but please keep this in mind: I understand the thought process and read all the replies to this point, and while I get their validity for this being a bug, it does require a fair knowledge of location, item use, and research while still using pretty 'meta' mechanics. Does it mean it will remain in it's current state? Maybe, that is ultimately to the devs. But we do have a fair amount of things on our plate to get our game in the state we'd like it to be with only so much work labor.

That said, I will be moving this to the discussion forums.

Best,

-Caleb

• Like 2

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

But we do have a fair amount of things on our plate

Perhaps it's a Patinated Plate? Imagine how much easier your lives would be if it were simple to steal it ;)

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

From what i have read so far, how can we be complaining this is a bug. Far from it. To be honest, it is quite good to be able to get some good gear early.

You end up getting the best gear at the end of the game with nobody to kill and use it. It distorts build options limiting food item access.

I would prefer more to be available early even if it is cheesing skills to the max. Rules are there to be broken hence this intense min/maxing.

No you couldn't do it without. You can't have 15 Mechanics and enough Stealth at lvl 6 right after Port Maje.

Other question: What if you take Berath's Blessing for 50.000 gold, sail to Crockspur after Port Maje (even below lvl 6) and just buy both items? Or any other legendary item at a vendor? Do all those items need to be level-locked?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Rpgs need to keep some freedom of choice with a few carrots here and there. What u should be complaining about OP is the possibility to respec a characters skills. If you couldn't respec the skills those items wouldn't feel so "free" anymore.

Or maybe, just maybe, obsidian shouldn't balance a singleplayer game around people who have played through it several times and are now "metagaming"? There's not a single new player who would pump mech, go to dunnage and sleep with the hooker and get the training, craft an adra potion, go to neketaka and buy the gloves and a thieves folly and then sail to crookspur...

Edited by Dorftek

Like was just mentioned. Of all the things broken this is the one that bothers someone? If they take those items and several others away there's no point in stealing and far less need for those skills. You can get 3 injuries from traps then rest and rinse repeat. Besides there's always the console if they take the items away.  If they take the items' files completely out there's still mods. It's a single player game. You can choose not to steal the items and nobody will know if you don't tell. At this rate of nerfs in six months there will be a lot of different named classes with 0.000000001 behind the skills that will all run around in the buff and get one shot equally.