Atsura is a really nice character.

I loved the characters in charge of the factions! They were so well done. Very human and distinct with their own personal goals and ambitions.

I can even see the potential good Atsura can do and I genuinely was fond of his mannerisms, even though I wouldn't say he's exactly a good person.

• Like 1

He's a cheating metagamer who can see Watcher's dispositions and pull strings accordingly is what he is. :getlost:

This. If you turn on dialogue checks, you can see how he constantly tailors everything he says to your disposition.

I love to hate Atsura. I don't think there's been a more punchable NPC in both PoE games. Maneha doesn't count because she's technically playable.

• Like 1

Atsura is so slimy. I liked how he tends to mirror Watcher's behavior; this is where you get your reactivity to dispositions. Of course he comes of as very obviously disingenuous if he tries to look like he's benevolent (he tries to hug the Watcher... or trying to shed tears for the fallen Huana). There's one line of his description which I love. After doing some quests for him the Watcher can tell him that they still don't understand him or what he believes in and you get this line: "His careful expression falters, his eyes bulging and mouth slack. The slip only lasts a moment, but it's like seeing a curtain ripple before a gutted and scorched room."

I was also taken aback when I saw that you can flirt with him? I totally didn't read the line "You seem different from the rest of RDC" and following "Come on, you know exactly what I mean" as flirting but apparently Atsura did. What.

He's so terrible. I like him as a character and absolutely hate everything he represents.

• Like 6

He's a cheating metagamer who can see Watcher's dispositions and pull strings accordingly is what he is. :getlost:

This. If you turn on dialogue checks, you can see how he constantly tailors everything he says to your disposition.

I love to hate Atsura. I don't think there's been a more punchable NPC in both PoE games. Maneha doesn't count because she's technically playable.

I love that he keeps in mind what you're known for, and argues accordingly.  It's slimy, but brilliant and game-wise super reactive and cool.

Does anyone have the dialogue he says if you're cruel, aggressive, etc. etc.?  I always go diplomatic and benevolent, sometimes passionate.

Also, don't the other faction leaders do this too?

• Like 3

It's true that many important NPCs will react to your dispositions but I don't think anyone other than Atsura tries to... mimic them. Like not only does he argue accordingly, but he tries to behave in ways that would uh, please the Watcher. It's creepy.

• Like 4

Here's a few. Atsura meets...

...a feelings about EVERYTHING guy:

KVlobfA.png

U42LceP.png

...a stoic, rational type:

HynQKsX.png

4P6SG8G.png

'sfunny, he has the same response for shady as for rational:

AcBqKXH.png

Anyway, if there is one good thing about siding with the slavers, is that it completely throws Atsura off balance. He's still smug and condescending if you don't blow up that Adra pillar. but hoo boy what a spectacular meltdown he has when you tell him about your Crookspur alliance. :biggrin:

• Like 6

Here's a few. Atsura meets...

...a feelings about EVERYTHING guy:

KVlobfA.png

U42LceP.png

...a stoic, rational type:

HynQKsX.png

4P6SG8G.png

'sfunny, he has the same response for shady as for rational:

AcBqKXH.png

Anyway, if there is one good thing about siding with the slavers, is that it completely throws Atsura off balance. He's still smug and condescending if you don't blow up that Adra pillar. but hoo boy what a spectacular meltdown he has when you tell him about your Crookspur alliance. :biggrin:

Haha, holy ****, I've never seen the hug dialogue myself.  That's weird.

Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

I played with the RDC path albeit trying to make it as good as possible (although that path is more "the greater good" at best) as a Kind Wayfarer paladin. I wanted the Crookspur slide where the RDC wipes them out, which means they have to be active. But I couldn't get the final RDC quest until I did the Crookspur quest due to how I had progressed. So I wiped out the Wahaki and finished with the slavers intact.

Atsura's sputtering disbelief that my Kind Wayfarer (who had otherwise maxed out benevolence dispositions) would side with slavers purely for an ending slide was worth the entire run. I felt like I was doing some chessmastering right back at Atsura. All for the greater good.

But yeah, Atsura was a fun slimy character.

• Like 3

To be honest the idea of him being autistic did cross my mind after a while but I didn't settle on it, since my understanding of autism is really limited (and when I thought that I stopped to ask myself why then I find him creepy - because his interaction don't come of as natural? or because he is not forthcoming and manipulating and I just don't know his motives and the whole situation is kinda uncomfortable. just thinking about my own judgment). Also I did notice his ciphers but I didn't make the connection; merely thought of them as bodyguards in case I attack him, so that's a nice catch and I like your hypothesis.

• Like 1

If you do the full RDC route, the final stinger that:

He was doing it for Deadfire all along, and is uninterested in more power or status

Is an interesting wrinkle. 

Atsura is simultaneously a highly deceptive, yet ultimately honest character. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate
  • Like 1

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

If you do the full RDC route, the final stinger that:

He was doing it for Deadfire all along, and is uninterested in more power or status

Is an interesting wrinkle.

Atsura is simultaneously a highly deceptive, yet ultimately honest character.

Wait, what? where did you see that?

The vibe I got from his speech was that he just wanted to make a good legacy. Which has a possibility of an altruistic result but isn't required.

The vibe I got from his speech was that he just wanted to make a good legacy. Which has a possibility of an altruistic result but isn't required.

Ending Slide for Neketaka. 

While Hazanui Karū directs her fleet from Ukaizo, Atsura stays behind to manage Neketaka.

Under his oversight, sturdy walls and artillery batteries rise to protect the city. Ships bearing settlers from Rauatai and staple goods from the archipelago churn the waters of Queen's Berth.

And despite the vacancies at Kahanga Palace, Atsura retains his simple quarters in the Brass Citadel.

Dude's not in it for the trappings of office.

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Ending Slide for Neketaka.

While Hazanui Karū directs her fleet from Ukaizo, Atsura stays behind to manage Neketaka.

Under his oversight, sturdy walls and artillery batteries rise to protect the city. Ships bearing settlers from Rauatai and staple goods from the archipelago churn the waters of Queen's Berth.

And despite the vacancies at Kahanga Palace, Atsura retains his simple quarters in the Brass Citadel.

Dude's not in it for the trappings of office.

Oh! I gotcha. :)

Yeah, he's not in it for personal comfort or fame. Though I would also say he's not just in it for the good of people. He wants a lasting legacy and he's perfectly comfortable to do things like murder the chieftain in Tikawara and then send aid to the tribe he just displaced to make them happy and establish his mark /roots. He has the potential to do real good, but he has some weird ethics (or lack of ethics).

• Like 1

Cruel Watcher meets Atsura for the first time:

dyR5VXo.png

Weird!

Why is that his response to cruel?

The "tad unnatural" bit is probably a clue that he's trying to act like a tough guy but it is out of his wheelhouse.

In short, it's one of the few times where you can clearly see he's faking it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Cruel Watcher meets Atsura for the first time:

dyR5VXo.png

Weird!

Why is that his response to cruel?

The "tad unnatural" bit is probably a clue that he's trying to act like a tough guy but it is out of his wheelhouse.

In short, it's one of the few times where you can clearly see he's faking it. :thumbsup:

That's kind of weirdly endearing.

• Like 4