RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - BATTLE ROYALE

valve's policy makes them and things like cryptomining trojans inevitable

Speaking of, Valve pulls a game for alleged cryptocurrency mining.

So uh... Yeah. That may very well be the thing Steam did actually manage to do first - they didn't invent digital distribution, community features or any of that other bloat Steam comes with, but publishing a bitcoin mining game on a supposedly safe PC gaming platform? That may very well be the first! Truly heralds of the industry.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

Steam had many neat ideas

Not really, AFAIK Steam has always been all over the place. The only idea of theirs I digged was creating an OS for PC dedicated to gaming - but, as with all of their ideas, they forgot about it halfway through. Most of their actually successful stuff like Community features or Market has been done before multiple times - and the other stuff, like Greenlight or Curator system, were all half-arsed attempts at a systematic solution to problems that can't really be solved systematically.

At this point it's just a store filled with shovelware - after all, Valve's latest decision on controversial content was "Can't be arsed, sort it yourselves"

I liked Steam Workshop and I still do to a certain extent but yeah, half finished or rather 'half-arsed' are the right words for it.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

It's true. These half finished ideas are what infuriate me the most. They have the money and they have the potential, but they just can't finish crap. Really, that's pretty much Valve for me nowadays... they just can't pull through stuff till the end.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That's flat management for you. While people love to hate middle management and bad middle management is infuriating it exists to solve a very real problem- someone has to identify issues and have the authority to get said issues fixed in a timely manner. Allowing people to go where their enthusiasm leads sounds great in theory, but all too often their enthusiasm leads to eventual boredom at the hard work of fixing bugs. It's the old problem where if you make everyone head chef then you end up with everyone designing new meals and no one chopping onions and peeling potatoes for existing recipes day in day out.

• Like 1

I liked Steam Workshop and I still do to a certain extent

And before Steam Workshop was a thing, there was Desura and Nexus Mod Manager for mod management - both with vastly smaller budget, yet far more impressive set of features.

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/c-nkjgFXcCA"]https://youtu.be/c-nkjgFXcCA

I'm in love!

And before Steam Workshop was a thing, there was Desura and Nexus Mod Manager for mod management - both with vastly smaller budget, yet far more impressive set of features.
Yeah, I still have a Desura account with Underrail and a bunch of other games on it. I used Nexus for both Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3. I'd still use Nexus mod manager because -you guessed it- there is no Steam Workshop support for either of the games. Skyrim does have Steam Workshop support but compared to something like the Nexus mod manager, it's crap.

With the Nexus mod manager you can turn mods on and off anytime but with Steam Workshop...you have to unsubscribe?! Yeah, some unintuitive **** like that.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

It's true. These half finished ideas are what infuriate me the most. They have the money and they have the potential, but they just can't finish crap. Really, that's pretty much Valve for me nowadays... they just can't pull through stuff till the end.

Surprised Romero didn't end up there. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Steam Workshop is also auto-updating, which is good in theory, but it screws me over hard once I'm at a computer with slow internet speed and Steam decides to download a bazillion GB of mods.

Wasn't Desura taken down? I thought it doesn't exist anymore.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I want that Underrail copy back dammit!

The devs seem like the kind of group who love their game, I'm pretty sure contacting them with a proof of purchase that Desura most likely sent your way back in the day and explaining the situation will get you a Steam/GOG key

• Like 2

https://youtu.be/c-nkjgFXcCA"]https://youtu.be/c-nkjgFXcCA

I'm in love!

Yeah, I still have a Desura account with Underrail and a bunch of other games on it. I used Nexus for both Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 3. I'd still use Nexus mod manager because -you guessed it- there is no Steam Workshop support for either of the games. Skyrim does have Steam Workshop support but compared to something like the Nexus mod manager, it's crap.

With the Nexus mod manager you can turn mods on and off anytime but with Steam Workshop...you have to unsubscribe?! Yeah, some unintuitive **** like that.

And NMM isn't even that good compared to some of the alternatives like Mod Organizer 2 (which I'm using now) or Vortex (which is going to succeed NMM) which only makes all these "big company" mod managing "solutions" seem even worse...

• Like 4

So... this thread turned into another "Steam or GoG" without purpose, basically another let's rat out Steam. We get it, people here hate Steam and Valve. You guys should write Valve a personal statement and maybe you'll make a difference (if it's really as important to voice how bad Steam really is) XD

Now, back on topic:

Denuvo hackers are getting arrested. Moral of the story, don't pirate/hack games. The end.

More Valve news...

(Because of the obsession here).

#JustSonicThings

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's hard to not go into Steam versus GOG, when Steam just simply sucks :p

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's hard to not go into Steam versus GOG, when Steam just simply sucks :p

Ahhh yes, I'm sure that's why Steam is the number one gaming format. And next year, we all know GoG will kill Steam and Origin ;)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Steam was the first, that's why. They forced it upon their Half-Life fanbase and used Half-Life² - which was highly anticipated (seriously, the hype was crazy big, probably bigger than any new GTA or Red Dead game could have it) - as a catalyst.

• Like 6

Steam was the first

And it will be the last :)

And it will be the last :)

Yes, last behind GOG. :p

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Let's give Sonic a break here: I recently installed GOG Galaxy and the interface looks like ass.

for me selling point of GoG is that I don't need another showelware (client) on my PC

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I recently installed GOG Galaxy and the interface looks like ass.

Desktop with game icons looks okay to me.

Besides, Steam's interface both looks like ass and handles like ass. You could fix a big part of that with skins, but skin support will be removed, so ... Yeah.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 3