Well I have gotten tired of starting up with my MC being a mid-high perception character. Since I am pretty sure I want to run a ranger next in a rather non-optimized I figure I can get away with leaving PER at base 10. That leaves me with an issue though. Just how punishing is it to have no character with perception above 12-13? At least it seems like all the companions have poor PER(haven't really done much with sidekicks yet); so I am sitting here shuddering at the thought of walking into trap after trap. Or worried about missing important hidden objects.

So I figured I would ask folks how rough low per actually is and/or if any companion/sidekick actually has enough PER to cover your bases if you take equip into account. That necklace in the well gives 1 per so that is something anyways.

Can use combination of Trubaour, Priest, Paladin and just be more tanky support.

Could be offensive and MC with Fighter and relay on Conqueror Stance.

If Ranger relay heavy on Marked Pray & AWS.

GhostHeart Beer Companion and Stalker Link.

You are just losing 0-10 ACC, but there are ways to get them back.

Svef/Deadeye druggie

Edited by evilcat

For me perception is just to strong of a stat to pass up unless my character is mainly healing or buffing than I feel okay ignoring it.

It's probably tied for the best attribute with int for me.

Per >int > mig > dex > con >res

I typically enjoy spell casters a lot so that probably explains this for me

I think the ranger companion Maia has good perception... but most companions have pretty average perception. I have heard you need 20 perception to find all the hidden objects and traps in the game. Makes it so you are kind of forced into perception.

I guess you can always just be okay not finding all the hidden objects. It basically just means more gold. Same with mechanics; it is not really needed to get the most powerful items, like in the first game. I am currently playing through a game with no mechanics.

Edited by Braven

While a ranger doesn’t -need- high perception, to me being able to get exceptionally high accuracy is the reason to play ranger. Being an expert marksman kind of defines the class for me, otherwise I just kind of feel like a zookeeper.

Edited by Braven

for most builds save for gun havers and tanks, dexterity is the god attribute, with perception coming in a close second.  perception is also ridiculous common in dialogue checks.  am s'posing we could build a ranger with bad perception, but given the current reality o' deadfire mechanics, we have a difficult time coming up with a good reason for doing so other than personal aesthetic. might try lower perception on a few o' our tanks, but even then...

dunno, seems as likely for us to go low perception ranger as unarmed training ranger who primarily uses fists in melee combat.  

no party character with perception eclipsing 13 is difficult but doable with metagame.  highest level traps and hidden objects require 20 perception to reveal, but 20 is hardly essential and such stuff is representing extreme small amount o' game.  if you don't wanna miss anything, then can always add maia for those extreme perception check scenarios and give her svef or the perception berries + a perception boosting item. 

@ genesis poster: no attribute is true essential for success in deadfire, but perception is kinda close. let us know how it goes.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You can not see many traps with low per.

Does anyone knows for sure?

It seems that having high mechanic helps with spotting a trap, but that could be just coinidence.

Definetly it is prefered that you can spot trap without party with per 18, but using mechanic skill directly.

yes.  definite coincidence if your gameplay suggests otherwise.  am knowing through painful experience a high perception is needed for more than a few traps.  not many 20 perception traps, but is a few.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I went and did what I probably should have done before posting(though the trap discussion is still very important to me) and looked up all companion and sidekick stats on the gamepedia.

Aloth: 12

Eder: 12

Maia: 17(why the crap did I think she had low'ish PER of 13 or so?! I wonder if she had a PER affliction one time in game and I just assumed that was her normal PER?)

Pallegina: 14

Serafen: 12

Tekehu: 10

Xoti: 12

Obsidian really likes the number 12 when it comes to Per don't they?

And the sidekicks.

Fassina: 12

Konstaten: 10

Mirke: 14

Rekke:14

Ydwin: 15

Seems like the sidekicks on average are more perceptive than your companions on average. Maybe that is why they are only willing to become sidekicks. They realize getting too close is likely to drag them into all kinds of crap.

Anyways seems like I can just use Maia I was thinking I would have to use Ydwin(I recalled she had higher than average PER) since I thought all the main companions had <15 PER. I haven't ever done Maia's quest either so that would be a new route for me to go down. Obviously watcher per checks will be missed, but as long as I don't get ganked by every trap in game or miss every hidden item I think that is fine.

TL;DR - this whole topic probably wouldn't have happened if I hadn't somehow thought 15 was the highest possible PER available in companions/sidekicks(I would rather use the fully fleshed out companions so I think Pallegina was queen of Perception at 14). Doh! Darn no Homer smiley.

Yeah, Maia with Mechanics is a triple threat utility party member. 

The thrid bullet is she is not terribly gear dependent, meaning you can slap any +PER items you come across on her. 
Ydwin would probably need food to get those numbers.

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

This. The official companions don't have excessive PER - and if you leave yours at 10 you might miss secrets.

As far as I know there's no mechanic that lets you profit from party's collective PER pool like with skill checks.

I don't like that change from mechanics to PER for spotting things to be honest.

Having a dedicated skill for that which also could be assisted would have been way better in my opinion.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hmm.. If I do a low per character would an accurate weapon(Spear/Dagger/Rapier/Club) or Flail's Arching blows help offset the lower accuracy better? I was originally thinking of doing a spear and shield tank. I do love that set up. It was quite fun to play in Age of Decadence. Sadly it seems the unique spears are late game? Stalker's could probably be obtained early with the 50k blessing, but bleh. I kinda hate jumping all the way up to legendary right off. Anyways Flails are cool too and I, sadly, rarely use them in games. For most builds in PoE I would probably prefer Maces, though maces are kinda lacking in the unique department in comparison.

But back to the point how valuable is 10% graze to hit vs. 5 accuracy? The conversion stuff always tends to go over my head in either direction.

Per is basically your 'how effective am I' stat for every build, except for a pure buffer.  A few classes can get away with lower, due to in class mechanics allowing them to have +Accuracy, but that won't help with traps.  I figured they made the companions all (fairly) incompetent to make the MC feel like its a better character.

Maia can see the majority of the traps, although dressing her up in +Per gear to try to get everything will hamper her combat ability (Compared to better options).  But if you know about a trap / check, you can always drug up for it specifically.

It seems that having high mechanic helps with spotting a trap, but that could be just coinidence.

Definetly it is prefered that you can spot trap without party with per 18, but using mechanic skill directly.

Yes. I had only 12 per with my chanter and very high mechanic, but i could not see traps, like in arkemyr's treasure chamber.