Everything posted by Hurlshort
-
Toddler shoots mom in a Wal-Mart
I'm pretty sure that two year old wasn't rummaging around looking for a suitable weapon to kill his mom, and he probably wasn't going to get the job done with a pocket knife. Education isn't an issue either, the mother was well educated and had experience and training. Also no one here has seriously discussed banning firearms. At most they've talked about licensing.
-
Self driving cars
This was briefly mentioned in another thread, and I wanted to discuss it more. Frankly, I'm tired of my long commute, I'm tired of sitting in traffic, and I'm ready to give up driving. Even if it was just automated on the freeway, it would go a huge way towards dropping the 30,000 deaths in the US that happen every year in cars. Here is a fun article from someone with experience. I see self driving cars fairly regularly where I live, actually, although most of them are Priuses and those Lexus small SUV's. http://theoatmeal.com/blog/google_self_driving_car
-
Toddler shoots mom in a Wal-Mart
My bad, it's an automatic response I give whenever someone mentions my state.
-
Toddler shoots mom in a Wal-Mart
It's not a perfect analogy since driver's licenses require that you demonstrate at least some minimum competency before the license is issued. Plus the license can be revoked if the owner demonstrates repeated incompetence (repeated speeding violations; points systems etc.). Afaik Maryland (and possibly California) requires a hand gun safety test/course before a license is issued. (And long gun/rifle safety courses are actually limited to Hunting safety courses required for hunting permits - no other safety course is required in any state). I think Woldan's gasoline argument is that gasoline for a car is somewhat analogous to ammunition for a gun. Unfortunately his argument now fails in California (and Connecticut) where you need a permit to buy ammunition as well: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/355697/californias-state-senate-passes-ammunition-purchase-permit-bill-charles-c-w-cooke I don't think you understand the bill, the permit is required by the vendor. I assure you I can walk into and authorized vendor and buy personal ammo without needing anything extra. But hey, people love to bash California. There was another bill that required all vendors to take down certain information on people that they sell to, but that failed to pass.
-
Toddler shoots mom in a Wal-Mart
Depends on the state, the gun, etc.
-
Toddler shoots mom in a Wal-Mart
Or we can just automate driving, which is what we are moving towards. Self driving cars for the win. So maybe in the future we can all have smart guns that only fire at bad guys.
-
What you did today
TN, I've been doing a Yoga/Pilates combination for the last few weeks, but I might research your program, it sounds interesting. One nice thing is my abs are starting to show more definition, I think I might get my washboard showing by the time I go to Vegas in February. I've never understood the hubbub over New Years either. I'm dropping some friends off at the airport, and then I hope to be home and in bed by 10.
-
Toddler shoots mom in a Wal-Mart
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/10-potential-mass-shootings-that-were-stopped-by-someone-wit#.tj1YYnn4E6 Clear enough? I did notice more than half of those incidents involved off-duty police officers, which kind of weakens the argument for random citizens carrying concealed weapons to protect the world. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/12/31/the-inside-story-of-how-an-idaho-toddler-shot-his-mom-at-wal-mart/ This woman was educated, trained, and had a lot of experience with guns. So I'm not comfortable just writing her off as incompetent. I definitely have trouble relating to the culture of carrying around a gun wherever you go. I've lived in rural areas, I've had guns in my house. Usually the only use they've ever been was to scare off coyotes, but I get that they are reassuring when you know the police response time isn't great. My wife does competitive skeet shooting. But we keep the ammo separate and out of reach, we keep the gun in pieces, and the only time it leaves the house is to go to the range. As for using guns to overthrow the government, good luck with that. The greatest weapon against the government in a revolution is going to be the media and the ability to spread information. You aren't going to compete against the military, you want the military to turn against the government with you.
-
You no mess with Supreme Leader!
It still doesn't explain why the US government would point the finger at NK, or really get involved at all.
- 71 replies
-
- trollingIRL
- decline
- Team America
- Fail
-
Tagged with:
-
What you did today
I have moved all my vehicles away from trees, and just helped my neighbor recover his metal tarp tent that blew away. It is crazy windy.
-
Im alone no family it stinks sometimes
I'm not really anti-prostitute or anything, I just think you should go into it with the proper mindset. You are basically fulfilling a physical need, don't expect to have an emotional one met. There is simply no way that a prostitute is going to meet the same desires that my wife does. We've had over a 15 years to get comfortable with each other, and it gets better all the time.
-
Im alone no family it stinks sometimes
This is amazingly shallow. A real partner (and friend) is someone who genuinely cares about you and you can rely onto even in dire times, sex is just one of many important aspects in a relationship. If you think a hooker can provide you with all the wonderful things you get from a true relationship then I can only ask you if you've ever been in a proper relationship. OMG, dude this is probably the most gay thing anyone ever wrote on this forum. Get back to your Twilight fantasies and leave the serious topics to adults. Way to ramp up the shallowness there. It's also telling that you use the word gay to describe Woldan's words, and yet you seem unable to connect with a woman in anything more than a physical exchange of services rendered. And yeah, maturity.
-
Dragon Age: Inquisition
He did say that he was so obsessive compulsive that he is going to finish a 100 hour game that he hates, so at least he is being punished somewhat.
-
What are you playing now?
Yeah, I kind of regret getting Lords of Xulima myself, the fantasy world is boring the heck out of me.
-
NFL 2014 Season
He's right about Frank Gore. That's the one guy worth rooting for on that team.
-
Movies you've seen recently
I watched a couple episodes of Inside the American Mob on Netflix, it is a fantastic documentary.
-
What are you playing now?
You will not make it past IV, I forsee the future.
- Reboot or Re-imagineering that are drastically different from - and superior to - the original classics
-
NFL 2014 Season
They still have an awful lot of hard to like people on the team, starting with the QB. What was his beef with Harbaugh? I do get that you can't have a toxic relationship with the entire management even if you are performing at a high level. But still, 44-19-1 with a Super Bowl appearance and 3 NFC Championship games is pretty hard to ignore. Heck, this was a terrible year with 4th stringers starting all over the field, and they still went 8-8 in the toughest division in football. It will be interesting to see if they drop back into obscurity with a new coach.
-
NFL 2014 Season
Harbaugh has a cushy landing zone though with an $8m per year pillow. lol As he should, his record is crazy good. What a bizarre situation.
-
You no mess with Supreme Leader!
That would not be surprising at all. It's basically the sequel to Pineapple Express.
- 71 replies
-
- trollingIRL
- decline
- Team America
- Fail
-
Tagged with:
-
What are you playing now?
I enjoyed a couple playthroughs of The Long Dark. It is a good looking game and an interesting setting. Expect to die. Like, that is the point of the game.
-
Dragon Age: Inquisition
You haven't actually played Dragon Age: Inquisition, have you.
-
Dragon Age: Inquisition
You've got to be kidding, DA2 was a terrible game, DA:I is better by a mile. I don't even know how you can prefer DA2 over DA:I.
-
What you did today
Do they have a volunteer program like they do in the US? Might be a nice thing to do once a week, go train with and assist firefighters.