FO:NV: The Return of Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

Pidesco

Ewoks in FO:NV confirmed?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Are there any other animals native to Vegas that you could turn into huge monsters? FO3 was lacking in that department.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Ewoks in FO:NV confirmed?

You misunderstand me. New Vegas' gameplay mechanics discussion now has Ewoks, not the game itself.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

bring back the geckos!

how about pig rats?

lounge lizards? (har har)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'd personally say less "in-the-middle" mutants because they were always boring as hell to fight anyways. Pigrats, molerats regular rats, radroaches, geckos, the crabguys from F3, dogs etc. All boring.

Lots more fun to keep most of the encounters human (or humanoid if we count Ghouls, though not the feral ones), with Super Mutants occasionally further into the game. A Deathclaw or two to seriously beat you up and put the fear in you.

Of course, the chance of that happening is NIL.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

And I've derailed a thread with just a simple subtitle. I'm quite the moderator.

Back on topic, puny denizens.

Heja Sverige!!

if, mechanics wise, i am able to have a pet gecko, i shall name him gordon

:p

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Joke's been done in Fallout 2, son.

Heja Sverige!!

Gameplay mechanics:

Will we see an altered SPECIAL, a'la how they changed it in Van Buren, or will it be completely the same as in Fallout? Here's a link to the skills and all that stuff as it was to be in Van Buren: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Van_Buren_SPECIAL

Personally, I at least hope they A) make the SPECIAL stats matter a *lot* more and B) make it so that you can't max out everything in one go. I wouldn't mind seeing something more similar to how tagging skills worked in the previous games where those skills generally determined what you were gonna focus your character on and the other stuff became more expensive.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Let's just get rid of the rats altogether and call it a day.

CRPGS no longer need rats, wolves, or spiders or any sort of subvariant or offshoot. Enough is enough. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Gameplay mechanics:

Will we see an altered SPECIAL, a'la how they changed it in Van Buren, or will it be completely the same as in Fallout? Here's a link to the skills and all that stuff as it was to be in Van Buren: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Van_Buren_SPECIAL

Personally, I at least hope they A) make the SPECIAL stats matter a *lot* more and B) make it so that you can't max out everything in one go. I wouldn't mind seeing something more similar to how tagging skills worked in the previous games where those skills generally determined what you were gonna focus your character on and the other stuff became more expensive.

That depends on two things, 1) If Josh and the gang want to radically overhaul the basic structure of character creation 2) If Bethsoft would be willing to let that slide. I can't speak to either of those things, but even if in terms of stats, skills and perks NV progresses in the same way as F3 there will still be significant changes. We know for a fact that the mechanics of armor and weapons are getting some pretty involved changes. I'd be happy if they just worked out the kinks in the current system. As fan-made mods have proven, it's certainly possible to do so.

They're in Mart's Mutant Mod, along with a dozen other Fallout 1/2 creatures.

And they shouldn't be, but with as many "shouldn't be's" as there are already in the capital wasteland (enclave, super mutants, Harold, fighter wings of vertibirds), MMM doesn't stretch things much more than they already are. I do enjoy that mod.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

CRPGS no longer need rats, wolves, or spiders or any sort of subvariant or offshoot. Enough is enough. :(

One day I will make an RPG where your first quest consists of killing ten Dire Lich Lords and just keep going up from there.

CRPGS no longer need rats, wolves, or spiders or any sort of subvariant or offshoot. Enough is enough. :lol:

I want to see a CRPG with Tucker's Kobolds as the real enemy. The only way to win, is not to fight the little bastards. :(

I'd like to see more neutrality in wildlife. Something along the lines of how Risen did it. If you approach a critter it'll give a warning sign and if you keep closing in it'll attack and chase you, but it'll only chase you out of the proximity of it's territory and then return to what ever it was doing. Now this, of course, wouldn't be the case for all critters, but as a general rule it felt good in risen. I didn't have to run away from wild boars and vultures half the map and the animals felt more alive rather than programmed.

On a somewhat related note, I'd like the beginning of the game to represent the player as a wuss who really needs to struggle to survive. And move from playerscaling and zoned scaling to zoned scaling alone to preserve some challenge even at higher levels.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."