Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The morality of genetic engineering [POLL]

Poll

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Should genetic engineering be allowed? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Should it be? To what extend?

1. Yes, to full extent (12 votes [52.17%])

Percentage of vote: 52.17%

2. Yes, but [please state in the comments] (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

3. No, unless [please state in the comments] (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. No definitely not (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
Genetic engineering is about to become a major part of our lives. What do you think about its morals?

If you need a briefing, check this link, it gives a nice overview
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts
I do believe genetic engendered is an unavoidable Chance, however, the creation of so called "designer babies" that have been modified to forfill certain ideals (rather than cure a birth defect) should be illegal. Not only because it would create a superior elite, but also because it predetermines the child's life, as many parents will optimise it in a way that would fit a certain task that the child might not want to take on.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5197 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes, yes, and more yes. If we had ways to improve on the fly I would do it to myself right now. And I absolutely, positively, would have edited any genetic flaws from my child while turning them into a superior being. Without a second thought. :yes:

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2715 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The day I become a cyborg mutant will be a happy day.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8471 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes, but not at the cost of the diversity that is so important to the human race.  And I'm not just talking about people looking different, I'm talking about the concern that if we all become genetic gods, we are one good virus away from wiping everyone out.

• Guard Dog likes this

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

Yes, yes, and more yes. If we had ways to improve on the fly I would do it to myself right now. And I absolutely, positively, would have edited any genetic flaws from my child while turning them into a superior being. Without a second thought. :yes:

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power Movie scenario, but let's consider all options

So, while maybe not fully prohibiting designer babies, we should at lest wait until the technology is cheap, don't you think? :)

Edited by Ben No.3, 10 October 2016 - 11:51 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5197 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

:lol: Seriously? Hold back progress until everyone can afford it? You went and made me ROOFLES! Anyhow, no, the world needs ditch diggers too.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8786 posts

Pointless to engage in any eugenics programs without first curbing population growth.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts

whatever brings us closer to a glorious posthuman future

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 525 posts

:lol: Seriously? Hold back progress until everyone can afford it? You went and made me ROOFLES! Anyhow, no, the world needs ditch diggers too.

Obviously not everyone and not regarding anything. But as far that basic genetic engineering can be afforded by most of the population of a country
:)

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5239 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Only if the possibilities are like we already do with different dog breeds. The least.

Edited by Meshugger, 10 October 2016 - 12:48 PM.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power 

This premise is, of course, predicated on a/ genetic engineering being able to create "superior humans" instead of merely ensuring they will be in the top, say, 10 percent of human potential in their respective field of excellence (if even that), and b/ that the process can't be improved (ie. that there won't be far more refined methods available for the elite by the time low-level enhancements become affordable to the majority).

All in all, I'm not convinced that this is very realistic.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid, 10 October 2016 - 12:49 PM.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5239 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power 

This premise is, of course, predicated on a/ genetic engineering being able to create "superior humans" instead of merely ensuring they will be in the top, say, 10 percent of human potential in their respective field of excellence (if even that), and b/ that the process can't be improved (ie. that there won't be far more refined methods available for the elite by the time low-level enhancements become affordable to the majority).

It will be something only the super rich will afford in the beginning, but will become affordable for everyone in the long run. Think of every commodity from smart phones to aspirin.

Based on that presume, it begs another question: Do we really know what we truly want? Tarkovsky's "Stalker" touched on that subject quite well. Such a simple question, but so many answers.

Edited by Meshugger, 10 October 2016 - 01:06 PM.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts

Based on that presume, it begs another question: Do we really know what we truly want?

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure it out by the time it becomes widely available.

Barothmuk

Barothmuk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
Stalker. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the game.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5239 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Based on that presume, it begs another question: Do we really know what we truly want?

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure it out by the time it becomes widely available.

Perhaps, but i find it very interesting considering humanity's lack of control of its base desires and its own will.

Stalker. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the game.

That....was embaressing. Fixed.

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1710 posts

Genetic engineering sounds neat. Count me in.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2715 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power.

There's a solution to that.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5197 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Whaaa? It will expand exponentially with nothing more than reproduction. Hell, we need to figure out how to add it to drones and just cropdust everyone. The next generation would be the dawn of a new age. :yes:

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6857 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

whatever brings us closer to a glorious posthuman future

Just as long as some dude doesn't try creating twenty sons.
  • WDeranged and aluminiumtrioxid like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users