Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Patch Betas on Steam

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

ImRhoven

ImRhoven

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

In short

Multi-player nerfs: win-lose

Single-player nerfs: lose-lose

Single-player buffs: win-win

I'm not sure I would call a SP nerf a lose/lose and a buff a win/win. numbers creep is a serious issue for any game, that wants to expand or maybe become a series at some point (with the potential to take your old save games with you e.g.). so I'd rather prefer a singular nerf to an op/out-of-balance class or ability, than a system wide +1 to anybody else.

Then there's the issue of a particularly more powerful class turning it into a "must have" for high difficulty games rather than people picking what they enjoy. 

archangel979

archangel979

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1617 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Any idea when will 1.04 be officially released???

We are looking into releasing it tomorrow, but it may not go out until Wednesday or Thursday.

We know how this works from Beta. When translated into real English this means next week :p

kug

kug

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Thursday already and ... ? Any info ?

Lediath

Lediath

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In short

Lets just go with this way of class balance for the sake of argument.

We start with a few assumptions:

All encounters are balanced per difficulty for all classes.

Some classes are over balanced, so you start buffing the rest.

Maybe you over buff, and now you have to buff the previous classes?

Numbers and powers will eventually inflate out of control.

It makes much more sense to simply nerf an overly powerful skill or class.

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Kickstarter Backer

Any idea when will 1.04 be officially released???

We are looking into releasing it tomorrow, but it may not go out until Wednesday or Thursday.

Still coming out today, or is Friday more likely at this point?

In short

This is tantamount to saying "balance in single player games is bad". Or "balance in single player games should only ever be accomplished by making the game easier", which is the exact same thing as saying "balance is bad" because you cannot balance a scale by adding weight only to one side. That's ridiculous. Either you want a balanced game, in which case buffs and nerfs have to be on the table - or you hate balance in single player games. Which is an opinion you're welcome to hold, but I (and many others) will fundamentally disagree with you. I want to play a well-crafted game with interesting choices and challenges, thanks. Not a game in which the "best" class and the "best" build and the "best" strategy are very quickly figured out and the only way to have a challenge is to self-impose it. 

• Justinian likes this

El Zoido

El Zoido

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts

This is tantamount to saying "balance in single player games is bad". Or "balance in single player games should only ever be accomplished by making the game easier", which is the exact same thing as saying "balance is bad" because you cannot balance a scale by adding weight only to one side. That's ridiculous. Either you want a balanced game, in which case buffs and nerfs have to be on the table - or you hate balance in single player games. Which is an opinion you're welcome to hold, but I (and many others) will fundamentally disagree with you. I want to play a well-crafted game with interesting choices and challenges, thanks. Not a game in which the "best" class and the "best" build and the "best" strategy are very quickly figured out and the only way to have a challenge is to self-impose it. 

I think balancing in a single-player game should focus on making as many classes/abilities/spells as possible useful in some way.

That doesn't mean that everything has to play the same or be equally effective - far from it.

Just that there should be some clear reason to exist for all of them.

It can also make sense to remove/nerf obvious exploits, since they will reduce options for players that don't want to cheese their way through the game or make other abilities seem useless and weak in comparison.

Edited by El Zoido, 16 April 2015 - 08:28 AM.

Matt516

Matt516

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Steam:Pungent Raindeer King
  • Kickstarter Backer

It can also make sense to remove/nerf obvious exploits, since they will reduce options for players that don't want to cheese their way through the game or make other abilities seem useless and weak in comparison.

I agree with you. And that's exactly what Lord Vicious was arguing against - he'd prefer (unless I misunderstand) that OP tools on the player's side not ever be nerfed because that's "not fun". I disagree with him for the exact reason you stated - obviously dominant strategies make the game boring by removing interesting choices for the player.

pshemcio1

pshemcio1

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

Hi guys, Przemo form Poland here. Since i bought  Pillars of eternity on Steam i cannot play the game for one simple reason - GAME FREEZES on loading screen after defeating enemies in first camp, after electric storm. Every time - i can play only to this moment ( i must admit that  i love this game and want to play more than 10mins) Next thing is i cannot save the game.

I need your help so much.... I read hundreads of topics on forums, searched everywhere, changed on beta version, checked/veryficated files on steam

Is there a chance to fix this problem ?  I have win7 64 bit,  cpu3ghz, gtx 760 2gb 256bit PLEASE HELP 

Emptiness

Emptiness

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 352 posts

Hi guys, Przemo form Poland here. Since i bought  Pillars of eternity on Steam i cannot play the game for one simple reason - GAME FREEZES on loading screen after defeating enemies in first camp, after electric storm. Every time - i can play only to this moment ( i must admit that  i love this game and want to play more than 10mins) Next thing is i cannot save the game.

I need your help so much.... I read hundreads of topics on forums, searched everywhere, changed on beta version, checked/veryficated files on steam

Is there a chance to fix this problem ?  I have win7 64 bit,  cpu3ghz, gtx 760 2gb 256bit PLEASE HELP 

Please refer to this post: MUST READ: How to Report an Issue

Then, create a new thread here: Pillars of Eternity: Technical Support (Spoiler Warning!)

Include the requested information and files.  Since you are not able to save the game, you may need to supply the autosave, if the game is creating one.

Once you have done that, someone can attempt to help you solve the problem.  This is not the right place for that conversation, however.

Voltron

Voltron

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts

I agree with you. And that's exactly what Lord Vicious was arguing against - he'd prefer (unless I misunderstand) that OP tools on the player's side not ever be nerfed because that's "not fun". I disagree with him for the exact reason you stated - obviously dominant strategies make the game boring by removing interesting choices for the player.

I disagree. I have tons of fun for example with OSA retalition barbarian in game. I am currently on my 3rd (!) solo playthrough in PoE, did 2 times Triple Crown solo.

Now you can but you do not have to use OSA barb, or retalitation Cipher etc. You choose it. We will never compet against each other in this game, nor we will PvP.

I for example won't patch my game anymore if they nerf OSA on barb. I like barb as he is and I won't allow nerf on my PC. That is only talent that makes barb do something phenomenal at same level as other classes can. I want to have my fun and I have. You solution destroy my fun just so players like you feel less bad not using "cheese" tactics.

I was always against nerfs in Single Player and I always will. If player want, he will type god-mod, donwload mods etc. to "cheese" through game either way. However that is not my problem. Everybody play as they feel fun.

And don't tell me that OP builds put less choice for players. You decide what to play and how. Cheese or not, broken builds or not, using console or not, using mods or not. This is not MMO, no leaderboards, no PvP. Just you and YOUR adventure.

And even if you balance all skills- THEY WILL ALWAYS be "best builds", "best skills" and "most OP tactics". Thats how RPGs/MMOs work. With variety always come best combinations. You will just trade one OP build for another. You can't change it no matter how much balance you will do.

I would never finish this game if not for barbarian with OSA. Rest classes are not so fun for me. At least until barb won't bore me :). They I will move to chanter, since after retalitation barb he is most powerfull solo class in-game. That is fun for me. And nobody will tell me if my fun in SP game, on my PC is not fun.

So I am against nerf in Single Player. I am all for buffs though.

Edited by Voltron, 22 April 2015 - 02:23 PM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10129 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

1.05 beta on steam, with many, many changes. 

Notes:

http://forums.obsidi...05-in-progress/

• omgFIREBALLS and swordofthesith like this

swordofthesith

swordofthesith

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 143 posts

1.05 beta on steam, with many, many changes. 

Notes:

http://forums.obsidi...05-in-progress/

Champion stuff! Go OE! 

Edited by swordofthesith, 30 April 2015 - 09:44 PM.

srlapo

srlapo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 125 posts

Beta testing will probably be possible in the future when GoG Galaxy is released.

Right now its still in alpha.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

I am part of the closed alpha. It is not implemented yet, but choosing and rolling back to an earlier version of games will be part of Galaxy's capabilities. Beta patches should be easy to implement using that same feature, once it is finished and added to the client. Might not help now, but at least there is hope for the future.

bescheid

bescheid

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

So sad v. 2.0 issnt out yet. And we dont even have a date for it. Cant u at least release the beta? ;(

Gary1986

Gary1986

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
Any news on when we will get the 2.0 beta? Also do beta saves work when the actual update arrives?
  • VaultDuke likes this

sku

sku

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Any news on when we will get the 2.0 beta? Also do beta saves work when the actual update arrives?

http://poedevtracker.net/ still works, check there.

Kpista

Kpista

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hi,

Where can I report if I find any bugs in 2.0 Beta?

Thanks

Aurelio

Aurelio

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hi,

Where can I report if I find any bugs in 2.0 Beta?

Thanks

Here: http://forums.obsidi...gs-and-support/

Duskwood0585

Duskwood0585

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm a bit confused. It doesnt show a beta for me for PoE, it only shows "enter code to unlock private betas"

Suen

Suen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm a bit confused. It doesnt show a beta for me for PoE, it only shows "enter code to unlock private betas"

Because you must enter a code to unlock the beta.

Read this: http://forums.obsidi...betas-on-steam/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users