Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

No cake? :<

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The trailer was so disappointing.

The politically correct adventure of an "I can do all you can do" woman, black guy and a soccer ball with R2D2s head on it. And a Darth Vader cosplayer.

Lots of old aesthetics to tug on them nostalgia strings. Hilarious nazi scene with massive red banner. Grandpa Ford dead set on pissing on all the best roles of his youth... only BR2 left now.

Then again, its dumb to expect anything particularly good from a Steven Spielberg wannabe director. At least the latter had some visionary ideas in his time, that being twenty years ago.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

-delete

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

The politically correct adventure of an "I can do all you can do" woman, black guy and a soccer ball with R2D2s head on it. And a Darth Vader cosplayer.

This is such a bizarre statement to me.  It seems like you are looking for political correctness, just so you can point at it and dislike it.  Wouldn't you rather just enjoy stuff?  

There was no blatant political correctness in the trailer, but you've clearly already made up your mind as to what the movie will be.  That seems like a shame.

• Like 2

This is such a bizarre statement to me.  It seems like you are looking for political correctness, just so you can point at it and dislike it.  Wouldn't you rather just enjoy stuff?  

There was no blatant political correctness in the trailer, but you've clearly already made up your mind as to what the movie will be.  That seems like a shame.

Lol, if you dont see the obvious female and minority empowerment in the choice of actors then you must not have been watching the same trailer as I have. Look back at the old Star Wars films and list all the GI Jane type characters you find and all the black actors in anything resembling a main role (DV voice doesn't count) and get back to me.

For all intents and purposes the original trilogy is an aryan space fantasy. The women are princesses, the minorities are comic relief characters. The hero is the archetypal aryan character, blue eyed, blond, salt of the earth type. I'm not saying it was racist, I'm just saying what it was. 

Look, I don't really mind the choice of actors per se. But I hate how obvious it is in ticking marketing and political boxes. It betrays the innocent stupidity that makes SW films watchable and makes them into something else.

Its like the recent Mad Max film that has no mad max in it.

Bizarre indeed.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Lol, if you dont see the obvious female and minority empowerment in the choice of actors then you must not have been watching the same trailer as I have.

[sic]

But I hate how obvious it is in ticking marketing and political boxes.

A lot of false assumptions there. There's box ticking there, but the goal isn't "political correctness" or "minority empowerment", Mr Tinfoil. Since the old cast is back and it's Star Wars, they knew the white nerd dude butts are already in the theatre seats. Because of that, they went to work to get everyone else's butts there too.

Let's get real, Hollywood does not give a flying **** about political correctness. It's smaller productions that can't stand up against the tumblr hate mobs, but big tentpoles do these things get money. Just like how both Terminator Genisys and Age of Ultron both added Asians to the cast to pander to Chinese audiences. Big movies are simply not affected by this tumblr warriors vs white nerds bull****. Mad Max is all over the internet in equal parts for supposedly being so politically correct and for being so awesome it's the movie equivelant of the pan-galactic gargle blaster, but it still made jack **** at the box office. Why would they care? Whatever people on the internet care about, that's not a factor in how much a movie makes and therefore not a factor in what Hollywood cares about.

Did Jurassic World suffer either for having a female lead, or a white American military guy as a villain, or for having been condemned as being sexist by one of the former top feminist illuminati members? No, it became the third highest grossing movie of all time. And said deposed king of feminists got a taste of his own medicine when the illuminati came after him for making Black Widow a motherhood martyr or some **** (or whatever the **** their irrelevant problems with that movie were) did that actually do anything? Whether its sexist or progressive at this point in time is completely irrelevant to big movies - money, my dear boy, is what matters here.

I wonder what the response to Rush Hour would have been if it came out now. An action duo with zero white guys? TO THE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW PERSECUTED I AM!

Edited by TrueNeutral
can't type while wasted
  • Like 1

Lol, if you dont see the obvious female and minority empowerment in the choice of actors then you must not have been watching the same trailer as I have. Look back at the old Star Wars films and list all the GI Jane type characters you find and all the black actors in anything resembling a main role (DV voice doesn't count) and get back to me.

For all intents and purposes the original trilogy is an aryan space fantasy. The women are princesses, the minorities are comic relief characters. The hero is the archetypal aryan character, blue eyed, blond, salt of the earth type. I'm not saying it was racist, I'm just saying what it was. 

Look, I don't really mind the choice of actors per se. But I hate how obvious it is in ticking marketing and political boxes. It betrays the innocent stupidity that makes SW films watchable and makes them into something else.

Its like the recent Mad Max film that has no mad max in it.

Lando Calrissian (acted by Billy Dee Williams) is quite important character in Return of the Jedi also in Empire Strikes Back he played quite major role, getting even his space in poster.

But representation of women in original trilogy in major character department is fully in hands of Carrie Fisher, and even though Princess Leia was one of the leaders of Rebellion she didn't have much of GI Jane situation, although in Return of the Jedi she was part of strike force that attacked moon of Endor.

I dunno, Leia was th only competent hero in the original movie, more willing to get her hands dirty (literally) than the dudes, and makes a point of making a point about how she wasn't in distress and didn't want these ****ers and their lame failure of a rescue attempt. Plus I'm sure that golden bikini was all about empowerment against patriarchal standards of decency or whatever at the time. I dunno, leave me alone.

Lol, if you dont see the obvious female and minority empowerment in the choice of actors then you must not have been watching the same trailer as I have.

[sic]

But I hate how obvious it is in ticking marketing and political boxes.

A lot of false assumptions there. There's box ticking there, but the goal isn't "political correctness" or "minority empowerment", Mr Tinfoil. Since the old cast is back and it's Star Wars, they knew the white nerd dude butts are already in the theatre seats. Because of that, they went to work to get everyone else's butts there too.

Let's get real, Hollywood does not give a flying **** about political correctness. It's smaller productions that can't stand up against the tumblr hate mobs, but big tentpoles do these things get money. Just like how both Terminator Genisys and Age of Ultron both added Asians to the cast to pander to Chinese audiences. Big movies are simply not affected by this tumblr warriors vs white nerds bull****. Mad Max is all over the internet in equal parts for supposedly being so politically correct and for being so awesome it's the movie equivelant of the pan-galactic gargle blaster, but it still made jack **** at the box office. Why would they care? Whatever people on the internet care about, that's not a factor in how much a movie makes and therefore not a factor in what Hollywood cares about.

Did Jurassic World suffer either for having a female lead, or a white American military guy as a villain, or for having been condemned as being sexist by one of the former top feminist illuminati members? No, it became the third highest grossing movie of all time. And said deposed king of feminists got a taste of his own medicine when the illuminati came after him for making Black Widow a motherhood martyr or some **** (or whatever the **** their irrelevant problems with that movie were) did that actually do anything? Whether its sexist or progressive at this point in time is completely irrelevant to big movies - money, my dear boy, is what matters here.

I wonder what the response to Rush Hour would have been if it came out now. An action duo with zero white guys? TO THE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW PERSECUTED I AM!

Call it politics, call it targeted marketing to certain age/race/gender groups, call it whatever you want. Its blatant and its boring.

Incidentally, who is the white male nerd that used to be the principal demographic of SW (probably still is) supposed to identify and project on in this film? I look at the poster and if we're going to assume that the amount of space devoted for each character in the picture is more or less related to the impact of their role in the film then its as follows:

villain, GI jane, black guy, then everyone else: nostalgia cast, droid comic relief and some pilot. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Didn't I already address that? It's STAR WARS. The white male butt was already in the seat the moment it was announced. That's why everyone else is huge on the poster, and white nerds only get Han Solo reassuring them (alternate but more accurate phrasing: bludgeoning them with the feeling) that, yes, this is your home.

Anyway, I wouldn't say character beings black or female for boring reasons or them just being boring old white dudes matters all that much. Do you? A character has never popped due to skin color or gender.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I guess that the SW brand is more appealing to some than others. I'm weighting this film based on what I see now, not on nostalgia, and here's is my thought process:

Trailer:

>black stormtrooper is struggling with  a crisis of faith , presumably becomes jedi... mhmmmmm

>dead serious GI jane speaking wise words into the camera

> darth vader's greatest living fan speaking to the remnants of his #1 crush

>nostalgia bits, a bit of intense torture, some epic crying, swelling instrumental music, random warfare  bla bla

Conclusions:

> okay so its grimdark now, no more of that childish fantasy of the original or even the less childish but still not very serious new trilogy  ...  To take star wars seriously is to lack basic understanding of what made the old trilogy good.

>it has no hero for me to relate to and the ones on offer haven't presented themselves as anything other than slightly edgy

> the villain doesn't look promising

I don't see anything to suggest that these movies will be good on their own terms so far

• Like 1

It's being directed by JJ Abrams.
You can probably expect something of comparable quality to the last two Star Trek films.

There was drama? I thought it was just Boo and his fitted tinfoil hat?

Twitter kerfuffle.
Three dedicated ****posters got about a dozen journos to write stories about a supposedly huge backlash against the Star Wars films for having a black lead.

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

> okay so its grimdark now, no more of that childish fantasy of the original or even the less childish but still not very serious new trilogy  ...  To take star wars seriously is to lack basic understanding of what made the old trilogy good.

I don't know if it's grimdark. The Age of Ultron and Jurassic World trailers were similarily humorless. Either way, I'm not sure I agree - one of the reasons The Phantom Menace is almost universally reviled is that it failed to understand that its audience grew up. Making it too kiddy with baby Anakin and Jar Jar Binks? (I don't agree with that assessment, by the way.) And then Transformers proves you can have angry explodey action and still sell toys, so I'm really not sure what kids want these days.

It's being directed by JJ Abrams.

You can probably expect something of comparable quality to the last two Star Trek films.

There was drama? I thought it was just Boo and his fitted tinfoil hat?

Twitter kerfuffle.

Three dedicated ****posters got about a dozen journos to write stories about a supposedly huge backlash against the Star Wars films for having a black lead.

I don't know, I assume we'll get something at least a little better than the Star Trek movies since J.J. is on record that he loves Star Wars, never liked Star Trek and tried to turn Star Trek into Star Wars (to the point that the Honest Trailer for Star Wars points out that his first Star Trek movie was essentially a Star Wars remake so he could use it as a demo reel to audition for this).

Oh and wow, I'm glad I gave up on blogger-journos and taking anything on twitter seriously.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I dunno, I found his first Star Trek movie to be mildly entertaining and average. I found Into Darkness thoroughly mediocre-to-bad.
But yeah, even to a non-Star Trek fan like me it was obvious that he was less than reverent to the source material.

ltwlSva.jpg

It always sucks when someone decides that an existing fanbase who have been passionate and supported and loved something should just be swept to the side.

Edited by GhoulishVisage
  • Like 1

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

Cumberbatch plays as Khan, who wants to resurrect the dragon Smaug and steal the gold from the dwarves. Or something.
Spock was a rage filled elf that liked to beat people up with his fists and get down with Uhura.

Also Khan's blood was a magical deus ex machina.

• Like 1

The star trek films were mediocre. But they weren't really Star Trek anyway, the even featured shots straight up stolen from A New Hope. Star Trek was the old problem solving "i can solve it with brain power and mystical tech alone!" sci-fi, the new films were literally Star Wars... but without all the charm.

It was interesting to see how the fans hated the new trilogy when Lucas basically gave them more of the same. They like to think they grew up, yet lined up to watch a sequel to a fairy tale.... expecting to see, what? The new trilogy is literally an inferior copy of the old films, fan fiction style. But it wasn't just disliked, it was positively hated. 

Now people are going to be thrilled with this film (at least initially when the nostalgia tsunami strikes), and its actually going to be just as childish as the ones before it, but the mere act of changing the demeanor from an airy B movie to "serious drama" (if the trailer is anything to go by) is going to make them think they're watching a film for grownups. 

I'd prefer it if Star Wars remained witty and fun instead of trying to be clever and deep because I know that's not going to work out (except if they got Avellone to write the script kekekekek).

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

This is such a bizarre statement to me. It seems like you are looking for political correctness, just so you can point at it and dislike it. Wouldn't you rather just enjoy stuff?

There was no blatant political correctness in the trailer, but you've clearly already made up your mind as to what the movie will be. That seems like a shame.

Didn't Abrams catch flak for not having enough minorities in that photo a while back? Given that, isn't too unfair to be a tad cynical over it.

And it is just Star Wars. Hm, this Christmas is going to have some super heavy marketing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra