Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #51: Prototype 2 Update

project eternity prototype adam brennecke skuldr ogre

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 3833 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Backer

The Skuldr looks cool.  Can I have one as a pet?

I'm curious where the line will be between monster and beast.  More to the point, what type of beasts will rangers and druids be able to calm, befriend, and call upon, assuming rangers and druids will be able to do such things? 

Sandro G Meier

Sandro G Meier

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts

Awesome for both update and the orge art!

And Skuldr...I'd like to call it batman...

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Skuldr looks very nice, reminds me of the Fleder from the first Witcher. The name seems fine to me, got an old Norse vibe to it but made me think first of Skulker and then Skallagrim the father of Egil from the sagas.

Just as a point of reference, we've seen the use of Gaelic names for places and people, and now are told that the old English/Norse languages are being referenced, does this indicate a clash of cultures at some point? Or have the two arisen in unison and merged beyond the telling apart?

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5991 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Skuldr's gonna Skuld. It needs dreads and a small shoulder-mounted laser gun.

predator.jpg

• Sacred_Path likes this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2850 posts

Awesome news guys, glad to hear everything is running along smoothly (y)

I would like to know more about the structure of class level advancement. I recall asking in an interview with Josh I did last year whether the advancement system would be homogeneous like 4E or staggered like 2E/3E/3.5E etc, it would be cool to see an example of that.

Some other stuff I'm interested in would be the quest/experience system, whether the armor system was changed again or not and combat animations, whether there will be frontswing/backswing animations, if they are cancellable by microing and how ranged weapon animations are being handled (aim, fire, reload etc)

The advancement system is not as homogeneous as 4E, but classes do gain a class-specific ability (passive, modal, or active-use) every level.

We're implementing the quest system right now.  We're going to use a visual flowchart for our quest implementation which should help with seeing the potential complications of branching or skipping objectives.  The armor system hasn't changed since the last revision a while back.  The system currently uses a single DT for a suit of armor with additional modifiers applied for things it is better or worse at.  E.g. ordinary mail has 12 DT but it is 40% worse against crushing attacks.  We're still implementing some aspects of the reloading system.  Aim and fire are part of the same animation.  Reloading is separate and moving interrupts it.  Reloading a bow is relatively fast.  Reloading a crossbow or arbalest is more time-consuming, and reloading a firearm is the most time-consuming (though not as long as it would be in real life).  Most attack animations will probably not have early cancels, but we will probably have them for longer events like casting spells or special attacks.

Skuldr sounds like it's Eld Aedyran instead.

It is.

• nikolokolus, Sensuki and Sacred_Path like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2569 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Cheers for answering my questions Josh :)

The armor system hasn't changed since the last revision a while back.  The system currently uses a single DT for a suit of armor with additional modifiers applied for things it is better or worse at.  E.g. ordinary mail has 12 DT but it is 40% worse against crushing attacks.

Are you still adhering to the weight classifications (Light, Medium, Heavy)?

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2850 posts

Just as a point of reference, we've seen the use of Gaelic names for places and people, and now are told that the old English/Norse languages are being referenced, does this indicate a clash of cultures at some point? Or have the two arisen in unison and merged beyond the telling apart?

It's less a clash of cultures and more of the intermingling of them.  Places settled by Aedyrans in the Dyrwood tend to have Eld Aedyran or regular Aedyran (i.e. plain English) names.  The common names for some creatures are Glanfathan but others are Eld Aedyran or (rarely) Vailian.  The cultures borrow terms from each other, too.  The title of duc (ducs bels and ducs panits) is used in the Vailian Republics for the sovereign ruler of a city-state, but the Dyrwoodans borrowed it when they rebelled against the Aedyran Empire.  Admeth Hadret was originally an erl palatine (palatine/palatinate also being borrowed from the Vailians), but he styled himself as a duc of the "free palatinate" during the rebellion.

• nikolokolus, Wombat, Nonek and 2 others like this

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2850 posts

They are organized like that conceptually, but currently those classifications don't have any direct correlation to specific game effects.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 2569 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Oh good. I think that was one of the things that was confusing a few people resulting in many people creating their own version of the spreadsheet to try and 'fix' your problem with the original system so that it would be kept :p.

Actually having individual 'weaknesses' vs a damage type on the armor itself makes a lot more sense. I suppose that's kind of what 2E did with eg. Chainmail AC4 +2 vs crushing etc

Edited by Sensuki, 24 April 2013 - 09:48 AM.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2850 posts

With weaknesses and strengths against different damage types, it's also a lot easier to communicate that through the UI.  Additionally, once you've learned the strengths and weaknesses of a given armor or creature type, it stays consistent.  If you see someone in crummy Oromi steel mail (the worst steel in the Dyrwood), it has a lower base DT, but it still has -40% DT against crushing attacks.  When you go up against guys in March or Ymyran steel mail much later, it still has -40% DT against crushing even though the base DT is significantly higher.

• Wombat and mstark like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 2569 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So it seems that tiers of armor at least will have a cultural/material prefix kind of like say swords in the modern world I guess: High Carbon Steel, Damascus Steel, Toledo steel ?

Is that the case across different types of equipment as well?

Edited by Sensuki, 24 April 2013 - 10:03 AM.

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Backer

Nice update. The skuldr looks great as an in-game model. Is the concept art by new artists we haven't seen before?

For archery, have you considered adding super-fast archery techniques as possible advancements for archery-based characters? The tradeoff could be shorter range and reduced damage in exchange for a massively improved reloading time. This is what I mean:

• nikolokolus, sirchet, PrimeJunta and 4 others like this

Infinitron

Infinitron

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

They are organized like that conceptually, but currently those classifications don't have any direct correlation to specific game effects.

Not even for speed? I thought armor was supposed to affect characters' speed (except for movement)

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 2569 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think he was talking specifically about the relationship of damage and armor, rather than their overall properties.

That may also imply that the attack speed is a custom value in the armor file and not related to it's classification, the same way the strengths and weaknesses vs damage types are stored.

Edited by Sensuki, 24 April 2013 - 10:17 AM.

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 311 posts

Nice update. The skuldr looks great as an in-game model. Is the concept art by new artists we haven't seen before?

For archery, have you considered adding super-fast archery techniques as possible advancements for archery-based characters? The tradeoff could be shorter range and reduced damage in exchange for a massively improved reloading time. This is what I mean:

Village is by Rob Nesler and the Ogre is by Polina. The Skuldr was modeled and textured by James Chea.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2850 posts

Every type of armor has a specific speed penalty that correlates with (but is not specifically calculated by) "weight" (higher DT).

Infinitron

Infinitron

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

What are the chances for any further revisions in the armor system?

Edited by Infinitron, 24 April 2013 - 10:24 AM.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2850 posts

Any additional changes would come from perceived failings of it during playthroughs/testing.

Infinitron

Infinitron

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Any additional changes would come from perceived failings of it during playthroughs/testing.

Very well. What about the effect of piercing weapons on light armors, by the way? Is it now also a percentage modifier on the DT, or is still an absolute modifier like in the original system? (ie, -3 DT instead of -40% DT)

Edited by Infinitron, 24 April 2013 - 10:37 AM.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1586 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

@Gumbercules... holy wow. That is impressive. Modern archery competitions are boring.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, prototype, adam brennecke, skuldr, ogre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users