Shadowrun Returns

• 1 month later...

I don't know much about the Shadowrun universe, but that artwork sure gives off some Bladerunner vibes (which is a good thing) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

I went in for much less than I paid to Shadowrun Returns but I still backed it. Don't know much about Jagged Alliance Online though but I figure even if the game sucks (if it manages to get funded) at least I get another Shadowrun source book out of the deal.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Two different companies releasing their vision of the Shadowrun IP? This should work out well. How is it that two companies can work on the same IP at (roughly) the same time?

I imagine that as one is an mmo and the other is not that they aren't competing with each other for sales so everyone is satisfied. It's like how Sega contracted Obsidian and Gearbox to work on two different kinds of Aliens games.

Two different companies releasing their vision of the Shadowrun IP? This should work out well. How is it that two companies can work on the same IP at (roughly) the same time?

I imagine that as one is an mmo and the other is not that they aren't competing with each other for sales so everyone is satisfied. It's like how Sega contracted Obsidian and Gearbox to work on two different kinds of Aliens games.

Isn't Harebrained the SR IP holder or something? (One of) the guy(s) who came up with it leads the bunch or something.

I think Microsoft still owns the rights and Smith and Tinker (founded by Jordan Weisman, creator of Shadowrun) licensed it from them then sublicensed it to Cliffhanger and Harebrained Schemes (also owned by Weisman).

Or I could have just made that whole thing up

Edited by ShadySands

Besides, didn't the Shadowrun returns guys talk a little about this in their q&a video? Their game will take place in a different time frame from the MMO, and I'm pretty sure they're communicating with eachother and the rights holder.

They also probably won't be released near eachother, considering SRR is scheduled for release early 2013 (even though I find that incredibly optimistic considering where they're currently at and what they want to do)

It doesn't look like the MMO kickstarter is going too great, but I think that is expected. Jagged Alliance is another cult property they are working with, and they haven't really won over that crowd with their choices.

It's also good to see people aren't just funding everything without some caution.

They put out a new update to try to ease some fears about it being browser based and free to play. It uses the same engine as Wasteland 2 and they are planning on releasing a client version of the game as well so you don't have to play it in a browser if you don't want to.

Since they were getting so much backlash about the f2p model they just announced that they are going with the Guild Wars approach. So now you have a client version and no monthly fees or freemium.

EDIT: They are keeping a f2p server up as well for those who prefer not to pay anything or don't mind the microtransactions

Edited by ShadySands

Since they were getting so much backlash about the f2p model they just announced that they are going with the Guild Wars approach. So now you have a client version and no monthly fees or freemium.

They aren't changing anything, they're adding a new server with the Guild Wars model on top of free-to-play. Which I doubt will ever have a decent population in the first place, tbh.