Shadowrun Returns

Not only that, but in the very first combat the dude ran right up to the PC in cover and shot at him, in the second battle, the PC planned it well, but the AI did nothing but sit there and shoot whatever was closest. The fact that it used grenades and sought cover doesn't actually say anything else, because clearly the AI is simply scripted to seek cover within a certain radius if available, and to shoot grenades if it spots >2 enemies in <x radius. 

I mean, just about every turn-based RPG has had dumb AI so you can't blast Shadowrun for that, but I certainly don't expect anything on that front, and expect to play on Hard(est) and hope it's a fun challenge. If I'm wrong, then great!

Not only that, but in the very first combat the dude ran right up to the PC in cover and shot at him, in the second battle, the PC planned it well, but the AI did nothing but sit there and shoot whatever was closest. The fact that it used grenades and sought cover doesn't actually say anything else, because clearly the AI is simply scripted to seek cover within a certain radius if available, and to shoot grenades if it spots >2 enemies in <x radius. 

I mean, just about every turn-based RPG has had dumb AI so you can't blast Shadowrun for that, but I certainly don't expect anything on that front, and expect to play on Hard(est) and hope it's a fun challenge. If I'm wrong, then great!

That dude was wielding a shotgun.  It makes all the sense in the world for him to close ground and get as close as possible.  I will concede that it would have made more sense to come around behind the character so as to bypass cover completely, though that may have been a matter of the amount of AP he had remaining.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Bought in over the weekend. Cant wait for the release.

Same here :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There was the one part where the guy ran up to the character while healing himself, which is what was being made fun of,

It's also about teasing RC, the fan turned forum moderator / community person. Awesome guy :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

• 4 weeks later...

Hopeful that they'll reverse that decision looking at the outcry in the comments. Even if they don't though, it's not quite clear if the direct download version is meaningfully hobbled or not - installing mods manually isn't a bother, so if it just means there's no in-game mod browser, then eh. It's just the last sentence which is the sticking point, at least for people who buy DLC. Since I'm not one, technically the decision doesn't really personally impact me, but I am somewhat disappointed out of principle.

Y'know, if they were a bit smarter about it, they'd talk about the direct download version first, then afterwards talk about how the Steam version has some extra convenience by virtue of the platform's features. Would turn it into a PR win instead of a loss, though there's still the DLC issue.

While this version will include the Seattle story (and Berlin, via a one-time update), without Steam integration, it will be unable to browse and play community-created stories from within the game. Any future DLC will only be available through Steam.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm sure they exhausted all DRM-free options before going with this. :rolleyes:  

EDIT: I just hope they don't block features/don't give us the editor if we choose to go DRM-free.

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

It would have been a problem if they hadn't given people both a DRM-free version and a Steam key, no one will be locked out of DLC. I don't think it's wrong for them to choose a platform like Steam for future DLC, they don't want to deal with distribution, they're a developer not a retail site. I think they're fulfilling their promise to backers. It's a bit disappointing but it's not such a big deal.

Hmm... I don't even remember what was included in my "pre-order" (I was a late backer, going for the $75 option that was available). My receipt says Collectors Edition Intl. Might include a steam version?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

*sighs*

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

It's not a problem for me since I was going to get this through Steam anyway, because of Steamplay letting me play on Windows and Linux and making everything easy, but I can see how people would have gripes with this.  I definitely think they should do future DLCs separate from Steam as well as DLC through Steam.

:ermm:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Now I am happy that I have waited with my preorder... wanted the collector's edition, but I can wait few more months if it will be available on GoG.com as well or not...

If not, I just wait for the Wasteland 2, which hopefully will not make the same stunt like HBS...

• Like 1

Now I am happy that I have waited with my preorder... wanted the collector's edition, but I can wait few more months if it will be available on GoG.com as well or not...

If not, I just wait for the Wasteland 2, which hopefully will not make the same stunt like HBS...

Unless I misunderstood, Shadowrun Returns and Berlin can be had DRM free, just not any future DLC.
  • Like 1

Unless I misunderstood, Shadowrun Returns and Berlin can be had DRM free, just not any future DLC.

Yep, that is the situation, which is plenty fair.

Not fair... same price inferior product :/ I really loved the alpha footage, and the option to pay full price for a DRM-free game without any possibility to buy future content for the game feels to me as a kick in the nuts for many backers :(

Changing the wording from DRM-free to Steam distributed, with the option of one-time-only Berlin update of your DRM-free version for backers so close to the release, just makes me less-likely funding any future kickstarter projects...

4.30 am here... CBA to rewrite all the wording in proper english... hopefully you get what I mean after reading the random words...

Edited by Mamoulian War
  • Like 2

It is still DRM free, and they are offering the only extra content they guaranteed DRM free as well.  But Steam is a superior distribution system for anything they develop in the future, and it is completely logical that they would use it.

I dunno it seems a little shady to me to have DRM free be one of your selling points only to later state that only the specific content mentioned (base game and second city) will be so and all future content will not.  It may comply to the word of what they promised but just so and they are already losing a lot of goodwill because of it. It's disappointing

Hopefully some good news on Friday

• Like 5

Free games updated 3/4/21