Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Official BG site update

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4000 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
a fan-made port doesn't really preclude the production of a commercial version of the same. I doubt GemRB would really cut into their margins, especially if they included "new and updated content" (including but not limited to an HD makeover)

Pop

Pop

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4000 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Aqua Regis
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
There's a "teaser video" out but it's a fake made by someone masquerading as Beamdogger, btw

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
iOS port would make more sense for Dragon Age 2. DA2 is built around the one Awesome button and how many buttons does the Iphone face have?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Morgoth

Morgoth

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10096 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

iOS port would make more sense for Dragon Age 2. DA2 is built around the one Awesome button and how many buttons does the Iphone face have?

DA2 actually requires more buttons and controls than all Infinity Engine games combined.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2279 posts
Like Orson Welles' famous monologue about the Swiss, mustn't let pesky detail in the way of a cheap shot. :p

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4357 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Considering that an ios remake represents probably the only possible way for the genre to make a return, it would be wonderful news.

http://forums.gibber...ic=22624&st=405

I'm kinda skeptical that an iOS port/remake is what this is about, considering you can already get that, for free. I've been known to be wrong, though.

Yeah, you can play it "for free" if you hack your phone/tablet and void the warranty etc. Definitely no call for a real port. *eyeroll*

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4541 posts
  • Backer

Yeah, you can play it "for free" if you hack your phone/tablet and void the warranty etc. Definitely no call for a real port. *eyeroll*

You can roll your eyes until you get dizzy and fall flat on your ass, but my point was rather that the IP holder would want to shut down a project that may cut into their profits, and apparently that hasn't happened. Yet, anyway.

And seriously, "hacking" your device? Jailbreaking the thing -and reversing the jailbreak- is something even grandma could do. Yeah, yeah. Apple will hate you and Jobs' ghost will haunt your dreams with endless, plumbeous tales of how he became a really cool dude. Whatever...

Edited by 213374U, 01 March 2012 - 09:38 AM.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4357 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Final comment in code says: <!-- I can teach you how to use your wrath. -->

Inneressin'

Also: https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/175281817342058496 :D

Edited by Nepenthe, 01 March 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Junai

Junai

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts
http://www.rpgnuke.r...ment_close.html

Hmm.. Trent meeting with NVIDIA. Maybe a HD remake?
Would've been fun if they added a few new areas. :)

J.

Edited by Junai, 11 March 2012 - 04:23 AM.

Azure79

Azure79

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1501 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Wow, first time I've heard of this.

A remake would be cool, but I'd rather have something new based on the Infinity Engine.

Who owns the rights to the old Infinity Engine games? Do they need approval from the DnD company to remake this stuff?

Does Bioware still own the rights to the Infinty Engine?

Edited by Azure79, 11 March 2012 - 08:08 AM.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 8638 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I can't remember all the rights hoopla, but I strongly, strongly doubt this is anything truly exciting.

IE games have held up very well, especially with the widescreen mod, and look quite good already; fans with hundreds of mods have kept the game fresh as well. A HD remake that pulls the trilogy together would be nice, but isn't a big thing, especially not if it breaks mod compatibility. It could be some form of BG3, in that case, who are these guys? Can they make a good game? Sure we know Trent Oster but it's a wait-and-see thing.

What would really be so much better is a new IE-style game, but that doesn't quite match with the promo style.

Azure79

Azure79

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1501 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
That would be my main concern as well. I couldn't imagine playing vanilla BG with all the cool mods out there. Not to mention I still think the games look very good.

All I would like are some unique character images for each class and better combat animations really.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15473 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"a new infinity engine game made with love and care by someone who "gets it" "

BIO (and therefore ES0 owns the IE so they'll be deciding who uses the IE for a game.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4357 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Countdown: http://baldursgate.com/

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Eleven hours to go. The one thing that still makes me very curious about this is the mention of "resurrecting" the infinity engine. I just hope it means an HD remake instead of something cringe-worthy like an iPad port or a browser game, or sth... Though I doubt they'd make such a fuss if it wasn't something they believed would excite fans of the series.

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4357 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Eleven hours to go. The one thing that still makes me very curious about this is the mention of "resurrecting" the infinity engine. I just hope it means an HD remake instead of something cringe-worthy like an iPad port or a browser game, or sth... Though I doubt they'd make such a fuss if it wasn't something they believed would excite fans of the series.

With the new ipad resolutions, having a combined hd/ipad etc.version isn't exactly unfathomable. You guys are so high on your elitism, you fail to see the opportunities.

Lorfean

Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It's not elitism, I just don't have any interest in an iPad version. I don't own an iPad and I'm not interested in the iPad as a gaming platform, or in playing games like BG on *any* portable gaming device for that matter... And because of my preferences I think it would be a shame if that's what this project turns out to be.

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1380 posts
They can make as many tablet versions as they like as long as I don't feel like I'm playing an iPad port on my PC...

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4357 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

They can make as many tablet versions as they like as long as I don't feel like I'm playing an iPad port on my PC...

"Tap the screen to continue" :biggrin:

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

It's not elitism, I just don't have any interest in an iPad version. I don't own an iPad and I'm not interested in the iPad as a gaming platform, or in playing games like BG on *any* portable gaming device for that matter... And because of my preferences I think it would be a shame if that's what this project turns out to be.

Well now, your opinion is noted. :)

But I'd play the heck out of an iPad version, provided they successfully implement a usable touch-based interface. In fact, I'd love to see first-class ports of more old isometric games (e.g. JA2).

Edited by Diamond, 15 March 2012 - 05:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users