Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

Neither do I. But really, if it sucks we can just ignore its existence.

I'm mildly optimistic. But I really don't have any idea what they're going to do.

Its not going to be remade in 3D I think, and what exactly can be done with the Infinity engine at this point is a mystery to me.

But it is nice to see how many people still appreciate the game and how far they're going to go.

Imagine a hi-res 2D remake of all three games rolled into one, with today's technology. Will the world survive so much awesome?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Isn't that the 15 year old girl romance mod?

*shudder*

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Its time for this new generation of QTE gamers to learn what a real RPG is.

My correspondence with Overhaul games:

You can skip my fanboy slobbering for the little surprise in Cameron's reply ;)

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this message short and to the point. But the fact is that if I get started on Baldur's Gate this could probably run into several tomes. The reason for that can be distilled into the following sentence:

the Baldur's Gate series is probably the best PC series ever made, my favorite game, and the best RPG adventure the PC (BG2), or any other platform has ever seen (okay there's Planescape Torment and Fallout but they're in a world of their own).

I don't know how many times I've played it. I just know its the only game that can call itself epic, because there's no other way to describe the journey from Candlekeep to the throne of Bhaal. Everything that came afterwards from Bioware or others, was but a pale shadow of it. But you know all this, you know how special the game is - otherwise you wouldn't have taken it up a decade later in an industry where games are obsolete after a few months.

I always wondered what a remake would look like. It was a dream of sorts, but the kind you're sure is never going to happen. And now its happening. I really don't know what to say, except that I wish you luck. Frankly I don't even understand what you're going to do with the game. If I can help in any way (although I'm neither a programmer nor an artist), just holler. I can give all the feedback you want and more though.

Make this happen! Show gamers today what a
real
RPG looks like.

Sincerely yours,

PS: if you mess this up Boo will be very unhappy

Cameron Tofer
cameron@beamdog.com

10:15 PM (0 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif

Hi ......

Thanks for your support, we're going to be making more announcements. I hope after you see them you can give us a hand.

Don't worry about boo, he will be handled very carefully. He was after all my character from our high school D&D campaign.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

Guest Slinky

Imagine a hi-res 2D remake of all three games rolled into one, with today's technology. Will the world survive so much awesome?

I'm sure I wont, My two last attempts to play through the whole trilogy has ended well before the end of BG1 with me screaming "no more!"

Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but theres just too bloody much to me to handle. There was a time I could play games that take 100h to finish, but those days have disappeared somewhere mysteriously.

So, from Trent Oster's twitter: "If by today's graphics standards you mean lots of 3D rendering, no. We're 2D isometric all the way", "1st rule of #bgee Don't break the fun. We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules"

So, this is looking way better than expected suddenly! 2nd ed., who would have thought? Especially fitting since I've sworn to boycott future DnD games since the alignment system overhaul and the changes to FR.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Bah!

All of us can give it one last spin for old time's sake. Its not like there'll be another game like it, ever. OOoooh I'm already drunk on nostalgia.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I wonder what took them so long. Since Hasbro, WotC, Atari and EA are all involved, it probably took years of careful harassment to get them all on board.

Its time for this new generation of QTE gamers to learn what a real RPG is.

Diablo 3, May 15.

Edited by virumor
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

im excited for this, my biggest "problems" with BG are interface issues and minor graphical quibbles, if they can clean some of that up then i'd love to play through them again

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm sure I wont, My two last attempts to play through the whole trilogy has ended well before the end of BG1 with me screaming "no more!"

Don't get me wrong, I love the games, but theres just too bloody much to me to handle. There was a time I could play games that take 100h to finish, but those days have disappeared somewhere mysteriously.

I'm afraid that's been the situation for me for quite a few years, as well. If there are two games of that length I'd play (again), it would be these two, so I'm definitely aboard.

I wonder what took them so long. Since Hasbro, WotC, Atari and EA are all involved, it probably took years of careful harassment to get them all on board.

There was a massive license battle between Hasbro and Atari (I believe), which resulted in the D&D license going back to Hasbro and resulted in an extended break in D&D titles over the past few years. I'm thinking Baldur's Gate rights might have been the sweetener on Atari's side, and in that case, development on these could have started early-mid last year.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

You people and your crappy thread titles. :(

This thread title is dumb.

Right. Sorry. A month ago when this was just some obscure little piece of news that nobody understood yet, it seemed kinda appropriate.

I'm sure one of the moderators will be happy to change it into sth more fitting.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Hmm. Unless this is fully mod-compatible, I'm not in the least interested. Frankly, it's going to be hard for them "enhance" the game beyond what some truly excellent mods like SCS/SCSII, aVENGER's RR and tweaks, etc already do.

It'd also be kind of a slap in the face to some of the fans if it weren't mod compatible as, ostensibly, the modding community has kept BG alive all these years. Not holding my breath, that's for sure.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Hmm. Unless this is fully mod-compatible, I'm not in the least interested. Frankly, it's going to be hard for them "enhance" the game beyond what some truly excellent mods like SCS/SCSII, aVENGER's RR and tweaks, etc already do.

It'd also be kind of a slap in the face to some of the fans if it weren't mod compatible as, ostensibly, the modding community has kept BG alive all these years. Not holding my breath, that's for sure.

Trent Oster has already made a few statements about this on his Twitter:

We take mods seriously. (I led NWN after all) mods both current and future are important. More announcements to come

We've looked into a lot of the mods out there. We're trying to figure it all out. I troll gibberlings3 all the time

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

@Lorfean

Nice. I hate Twitter so thanks for doing the legwork for me. I guess that if they simply respect WeiDU compatibility, the modding community will pick up. +Respect for any dev that posts on G3.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Given the point and click nature of BG, we won't be supporting controllers. Pointer devices only

You have to love these people.

At this point I'd even be happy with just the game combined with the most popular mods and an easy way to toggle others. Larger dialogue font and dependable high resolution support + cleaning out the last few bugs.

I think the backgrounds are mostly fine, but the character sprites could be improved, because they tend to look very similar at high resolutions (and hard to click on because they're so small).

A couple of interface improvements, to make it smaller and show more of the game world, while retaining the pretty "book" like appearance - obviously implementing BGII's interface in BGI.

Also some inventory sorting improvements especially regarding stackable stuff, projectile weapons in particular.

Maybe something should be done with the footstep sounds. They're necessary but maybe they should be a bit quieter.

Walking speed should be a bit quicker. The necessity of reaching the edge of the screen for travel in every location could be changed in some areas to make the game world more accessible.

But really there's very little to "improve" in these games, most of the tedious stuff, or what people call the tedious stuff has become second nature to me over the years.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

So, especially looking at that Imac in TO's twitter feed, we're probably looking at PC (steam etc.), Mac (App store), ipad (ditto) and mebbe Android.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif