Politics Princess' Sweet Sixteen

Blarghagh

The GOPs ability to pretzel logic so much that it bends time and space strike again.

state legislators in Tennessee killed a bill against child marriage in order to bolster a conservative lawyers case against same-sex marriage.

The lawyers logic? "If Tennessee were to ban child marriages by modifying state marriage law, lawmakers would be acknowledging the existence of same-sex marriage, according to Fowler’s legal theory."

****ing logic there, makes no sense at all. What the hell does same sex marriage have to do with child marriage? That's an extreme pretzel of a logical interdimensional hyperloop.

What's really, REALLY funny (and utterly bonkers) though is that the argument was often made against legalizing gay marriage because it would eventually lead to a slippery slope where you'd also have to legalize pedophilia (you know, ignoring the actual entire reason while we don't accept pedophilia: it involves the underaged whom we do not recognize as being capable of making that sort of decision for their best interest vs. consenting adults)...while meanwhile, here they are arguing the complete logical opposite - illegalizing this form of pedophilia will somehow mean that you have to legalize (or recognize, since the issue has been forced at this point) gay marriage.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Hooray! We're all saved! Our Government is going to protect us from the violence in video games turning us all into mass shooters: http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/377338-trump-meeting-leaders-of-video-game-industry

After all as Donald Trump himself said "Video game violence & glorification must be stopped – it is creating monsters!"

Damn right Donald! After all no one ever shot up a school after playing Pac-Man or My Little Pony's Underwater Adventures. Actually all of you people in favor of Gun Control should be cheering for this. You've already convinced yourself the way to go is to punish people who have done no wrong by taking away things YOU decided they should not have. The same flawed mentality is at work here.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We shall not stand for these deadly attacks...our voices will be heard! No more shall anyone suffer the indignity of someone else lodging a disc in their cranium!

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Damn right Donald! After all no one ever shot up a school after playing Pac-Man or My Little Pony's Underwater Adventures. Actually all of you people in favor of Gun Control should be cheering for this. You've already convinced yourself the way to go is to punish people who have done no wrong by taking away things YOU decided they should not have. The same flawed mentality is at work here.

Well, depends on what the person thinks 'gun control' means, versus your concept of it. Some want more rigorous background checks, etc. which isn't really 'taking away' anything, after all. Also, all of this putting aside the little difference between a Browning HP and Call of Duty (although one can make the joke they're both overproduced pieces of crap, IIRC from my gun owning acquaintances' jokes) :p Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As a German, seeing this thing about video game violence in America is a pretty funny experience.

So glad we're over it for 10 or so years now. :D

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

We call ourselves "the land of the free" here in the US. Isn't THAT a crock? Here in the land of the free 90% of the people seem to WANT the government to tell us "You can't have this. You can't watch that. You can't read this, listen to that, say this, think that, You can't eat that, you can't drink this, you can't marry him/her/them, you can't take your kids there, or read/teach/tell them this. Yes that is your house but we get to tell you what trees you can have, color you can paint it, pets that can live in it, or kinds of vehicles you can park in front of it. The money you earn isn't really yours, And don't forget to get on your knees and beg permission to do any work to that home you don't really own. Or drive the car you bought on the roads you paid for." And if the government ever thinks someone else will pay them more in taxes for that home they will just take it right away from you and give it to them and f--k you if you don't like it.

90% of the people think it's OK for the government to do whatever the f--k it pleases to whomever as long as it's doing to to things/people they decided they don't like. But when they come after THEIR toy/right/homes they scream bloody murder and utterly fail to see the logical paradox of the whole thing.

And to think the one group who thinks the government should leave ALL of us alone are the crazy ones. Go figure.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

And to think the one group who thinks the government should leave ALL of us alone are the crazy ones. Go figure.

Well, in some cases their crazy is for other observable reasons. Or really suit that joke in Green Mars about being anarchists that want cops to protect them from their slaves. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

one o' these days, the freedom lovin' patriots who rail 'gainst government evils is gonna learn what it means to live in a democracy.   what freedom lovin' patriot doesn't also want democracy? is one o' those core American fundamentals, no?  heck, we s'posed had a revolution to achieve freedom and democracy... as if the two ain't actual antagonistic qualities. the people is the government. we democratic elect folks who then pass laws, laws which, by their very nature is limits 'pon your freedoms.  complain 'bout evil government taking away our freedoms is silly w/o recognition o' underlying truth o' reality o' democracy.   

so yeah, the folks who would rather disassociate themselves from society, go off the grid and live in a shack in the woods, does indeed seem like the crazies.

and trump can wail and howl 'bout games all day and night, but is sound and fury, just as virtual all such trump bluster.  we noted during the election how virtual all stuff trump promised were gonna be requiring either an act o' Congress to achieve or even an Amendment to the Constitution.  we also noted how trump's divisive nature meant Congress were gonna do as little as necessary as the chief executive is not a consensus builder.  is a largely impotent President save for foreign affairs... which has always been what scared us most 'bout trump. sucks to be right.

so let trump blather on 'bout games.  thanks to democracy, trump blather is largely nothing more than noise... but never forget democracy and freedom is actual antagonistic.  if a majority o' your neighbors believe your actions is bad, they can, collective, limit or end your freedoms.  good.  we are the government. we should be able, as a people, be able to limit gd's liberty to dump toxic waste or smoke in restaurants or drive while drunk. sure, we got the Constitution which offers greater protections for a smallish number o' particular freedoms, but such is a defense 'gainst democracy.  the tyranny o' the majority is the evil from which the Constitution seeks to protect us.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Illegal immigrants with sex, robbery convictions among those who evaded capture after Dem mayor's warning.

"What she did is no better than a gang lookout yelling 'police' when a police cruiser comes in the neighborhood, except she did it to an entire community. This is beyond the pale,"

There is no law against a mayor doing this? I would think there would be. Ins't ICE a gov't agency trying to do their law mandated work and she is clearly intervering in it. That seems unbecoming if not outright illegal. Out of all the laws out  she ain't at least breaking one/ :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The arrests included 115 who "had prior felony convictions for serious or violent offenses, such as child sex crimes, weapons charges and assault, or had past convictions for significant or multiple misdemeanors."

That's a funny quote, doesn't actually break that number down by the category of offender. Reminds me of the cops in Toronto seizing "weapons" for the G20, only to later admit only one or two out of 20-something were actually illegal to own (they seized some LARPers gear too, tsk).

Would be interesting to find out what the legal view of her action or someone alerting people to police is, I would suspect it wouldn't be breaking any law - I find her's to be fairly general - or if it does, seems like a dog pile charge.

i though obstructing law is illegal everywhere...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

there is indeed obstruction on the books in ca, but obvious this would be a Fed obstruction issue, no? doesn't matter if is CA.

were the defendant (mayor) resorting to an act of murder, bribery, intimidation, threats or actual use o' force 'gainst witnesses, court officials or law enforcement?  were the defendant misleading law enforcement through scheme or untruth? the obvious stuff for obstruction ain't present.  we can find such stuff insofar as trump possible obstructing the russia investigation, but were no coercion or misleading by the mayor in the present case.  

no doubt the doj is gonna attempt to look for a way to prosecute, but is actual not obvious to Gromnir from a reading o' 18 u.s. code chapter 73 how best to charge the mayor.  if the mayor were a lending institution, then warning persons the target o' a subpoena or investigation would be obstruction, but such is not the case in the current scenario.  however, am no longer doing criminal law, and have not been part o' a fed obstruction case for almost two decades, so am hardly an expert 'pon such matters. 

nevertheless, do a read o' 18 u.s. code chapter 73 if you is genuine curious.  make sure to read the whole thing too as folks can imagine all kinda stuff into documents and laws n' such if they parse and analogize and whatnot.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps btw, am only speaking as to obstruction.  

pps read malcador's link.  kinda odd reading 18 u.s. code § 3.  is 4 case law elements for accessory after the fact: felony, knowledge o' the felony, knowledge o' the felon's identity and misleading by defendant. gonna be a tough slog for accessory after the fact.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir I was mentally composing an appropriately snarky response to the way you mis-characterized my little rant on the previous page.... but it seems like more trouble than it's worth on a beautiful Friday.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Bay area coffee shop refuses to serve Police: http://www.kcra.com/article/bay-area-coffee-shop-wont-serve-police-for-safety-of-customers/19299705

What if the cops were gay?

Thomas Sowell

Bay area coffee shop refuses to serve Police: http://www.kcra.com/article/bay-area-coffee-shop-wont-serve-police-for-safety-of-customers/19299705

I guess the argument goes, cops is just a profession not a minority group.  People tried to make the same argument when the Pride parade organizers banned he cops from marching in uniform - apparently your job is a key and immutable part of your identity.

Speaking of cops,

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ex-asheville-cop-arraigned-on-charges-he-beat-man-over-jaywalking/

While the guy shouldn't have ran, interesting response from the cop.

why aren't illegal immigrants deported immediately upon conviction

You'd be surprised how often that argument comes up in earnest. It's a staple question or demand of many a populist party in Europe at the moment and while it sounds reasonable it is just emotionally loaded.

Commiting crimes does lead to deportation. It is not immediate for legal (and moral) reasons. The times were all criminals were just dumped in Australia are sort of over, for better or worse. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well that and they still have to do the time for the crimes they committed, illegal alien or not. Then we kick them to the curb. The problems are 99 fold: a ridiculously porous border that allows illegal immigration ala a conga line, states and personnel that wantonly disregard the law, and 97 others.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/martin-shkreli-sentenced-to-seven-years-in-prison-1520621915

and for those blocked

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/09/news/martin-shkreli-sentencing/index.html

perhaps the saddest part o' the story is how much a small fry is martin.  in the larger scheme o' what is happening with pharmaceutical companies such as marathon and valeant, martin is an insignificant nobody.  martin is hardly a scapegoat, but he is a token sacrifice. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Then maybe when they shoot some unarmed dude certain folks will get upset about it who otherwise wouldn't.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands