Politics Princess' Sweet Sixteen

Blarghagh

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

He hasn't been fired yet, it's just an announcement that he's replacing him. If he really was fired, a replacement would have immediately been announced.

edit: wierd page shuffle, bartimaeus's post was the first on page 19, then when I posted, mine was instead.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

Ah. The story is a little too heavy-handed with the way it says that he's to be replaced, then, since it doesn't really give a clear impression that he hasn't actually been fired - I guess besides the lack of directly saying he was fired, anyways.

​Rumor is John Bolton just interviewed (and is a favorite) for the job. What a terrible administration.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I honestly suspect that Trump hates Bolton and he gets mentioned all the time as a bit of a trojan- Bolton is transparently keen to be back in the limelight, and if the alternative is John Bolton then just about anyone else looks like an inspired choice.

Assassinations and infiltration and heavy propaganda

Let's assume that works. It does down one of two way. Either someone else takes over and we trade one despot for another. Or the country falls apart and it's chaos with side dish of factional civil war. Neither gets the people in the gulag out.
or the us sets up its own dictator? Not like that’d be unusual

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Regrettably no.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Gun Control, tax increases. Republicans = Democrats and Democrats = Republicans. Cuts in government spending the last 20 years = $0

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-gops-internet-tax-1521153858

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

:lol:  https://nypost.com/2018/03/15/stop-hillary-just-stop/

When it comes to stupid stuff to talk about the Clintons are the gift that just keeps on giving!

Thomas Sowell

When it comes to stupid stuff to talk about the Clintons are the gift that just keeps on giving!

As an aside, that is very disappointing if that counts as an editorial for the NY Post :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As an aside, that is very disappointing if that counts as an editorial for the NY Post :lol:

I think you are thinking of the NY Times. The NY Post is only a rung or two above the National Enquirer.

Thomas Sowell

Well, I at least expected a longer article with more snarky filler from a Murdoch rag.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Democrats want her to drop off the radar metaphorically because she really isn't helping while Republicans want her to keep talking for exactly the same reason.

She clearly doesn't know when it's best to lay low and not comment, unlike Obama for example.

Democrats want her to drop off the radar metaphorically because she really isn't helping while Republicans want her to keep talking for exactly the same reason.

She clearly doesn't know when it's best to lay low and not comment, unlike Obama for example.

That was always one of her biggest flaws... she is selfish and narcissistic. They combine poorly with bitterness and arrogance.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

But would USA declare war to China, if China takes away Taiwan's and Hong Kong's autonomies and taking direct control over lots of world's electronic manufacturing or if China takes over Senkaku Islands and builds their military base there in order to make it easier to strike to Japan there, or if China increases their naval power South China sea and so on?  And what would Australia do if China threatens to block their imports and exports?

Meaning that China and USA don't need to go in full on war in order to have fight over things that effect big economical and political impacts.

Interesting discussing. I dont think China will conquer Japan you greatly underestimate Japan. Japan dont even need USA to defend vs China. Australia would likely make their BETA military alliance with Japan to full military alliance if China will harass them. Australia is not a poor country. I am sure they can increase the military budget if the demand rises and Japan is constantly increasing military budget already.

Hong Kong? Their autonomy is already taken away step by step and there is nothing you can do about that unless you want to start a war with China and nobody wants to attack China based on whatever happens in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is doomed anyway its fate is sealed and it is doomed.

Taiwan? Taiwan is an interesting chapter. History goes that communists stayed in mainland and nationalists moved to Taiwan. Taiwan has been very stubborn in resisting main land China. Regarding Taiwan future I find it very hard to predict for some reason don't know why Taiwan seems to do better then say Hong Kong with China mainland authorities.

Taiwan is so much resisting so I would not sign out the possibility of civil war Taiwan vs mainland. I think they mainly try diplomacy.

If China tries to take Taiwan by force there will be war and Taiwan hates China:

Yes China can go have their wargames with Taiwan that would result in massive military casualties to China mainland and a destroyed Taiwan not a great way to improve China economy and in the aftermath there can be lingering guerilla warfare with terror attacks from pissed of Taiwanese people who have lost the war.

Who speak about China conquering Japan? China has now for quite long time wanted to build military bases closer to Japan in order to have more military threat towards them.  If you think that Taiwanese or Japanese hate China that is quite mild comparison to hate which lots of Chinese feel towards Japan, because of what Japanese did for Chinese in WW2. It is historical issue that still causes lots of disputes between China and Japan. If you look Finnish attitudes towards Russians and then increase disdain/hate by ten folds you may get picture of how lots of Chinese feels about Japanese.

In war between Japan and China, China would eventually win because of it fast larger resources (over 10x more people, much more natural resources, much more factories and other production facilities, larger capacity to produce ships, air planes and missiles. And not vulnerable to total aerial and naval blockade), but if China actually tried to conquer Japan, that war would end in usage of nuclear weapons which would make whole thing pointless. So there is quite low change that such war will ever happen in any other form than in form of a cold war.

In war between China and Taiwan, China would most likely just blockade Taiwan and force it surrender by bombarding it if outside forces don't come to help Taiwan. China lets currently Taiwan keep its partially recognized state (Taiwan isn't currently fully independent country because China claims sovereignty over, which makes diplomatic relations with Taiwan quite complicated, which is why only 20 countries actually recognize Taiwan as country) because they don't want jeopardize their trade and other agreements with other countries, but that attitude would change if USA broke one of those agreements for example by attacking to NK. Also Taiwan's stubbornness to resist China isn't necessary in magnitudes that you think, because there are big sunk of Taiwanese who actually want Taiwan to become part of China (20-30% in polls but under actual military threat it could rise or lower somewhat).

Yeah, China taking over by force Taiwan and Honk Kong and other territories it wants would hurt its economy and foreign relationships, which is why they have not done so, but even though economy is big factor in political decision it isn't only one, which is why we even talk about USA's possible strike/war with NK. Or why we, rest of EU and USA have several kinds of sanctions towards Russia. Why we have trade restrictions towards China and lots of other countries which human rights situations we don't approve. Meaning that you should not underestimate China's willingness to hurt their economy in order to forward their other political/ideological ambitions.

Edited by Elerond

Hong Kong wasn't taken over by force by China, it was taken from them by Britian in the 19th century and later given back to them via treaty.

Also, Japan could develop nukes right now, but they choose not to make them. They do have the plutonium stockpile, which is enough to unnerve China.

Edited by smjjames

Hong Kong wasn't taken over by force by China, it was taken from them by Britian in the 19th century and later given back to them via treaty.

Also, Japan could develop nukes right now, but they choose not to make them. They do have the plutonium stockpile, which is enough to unnerve China.

Hong Kong is currently autonomous state of China with lots of privileges that other part of China do not have and Chinese can't actually freelly move to Hong Kong, which is why there are people in China's political leadership that want to end that and assimilate to be same as other parts of China. But because of those privileges and Hong Kong's history being British territory there are lots of western companies in Hong Kong and they don't want see Hong Kong's status to change which is why our governments have been opposed China's actions to take Hong Kong's autonomy and privileges away.

Yeah Japan has materials, facilities and know how to produce nuclear weapon in very short period of time, they may actually even have nukes even though they claim opposite, same fashion as Israel.

Political humor... sort of... well, I laughed at it

28378636_10156790306039240_5088121855804

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Meanwhile in China: "China to bar people with bad 'social credit' from planes, trains"

For anyone who doesn't know, China is currently running a sort of "social credit score" system where being critical of the government, minor legal infractions, financial problems, your appearance in public, associating with other people with a low credit score, etc. reduces your social credit score and makes you an undesirable...and now it's starting to carry legal implications. Authoritarianism taken to the next level...and a good argument for always pushing and fighting for your rights (though we may often disagree with which are the most important) in our cushy Western countries, for (virtually) nothing in our world is either free or static. Every country that no longer exists or had its governmental system replaced at some point either collapsed, was conquered, and/or had some kind of revolution - and we have little reason to believe that we should be any different. Compared to the living conditions elsewhere in less stable parts of the world right now as well as what people had to endure in centuries past, we live in relative utopias - I would think we would like to keep it that way, but it always has been and always will be a struggle.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Meanwhile in China: "China to bar people with bad 'social credit' from planes, trains"

For anyone who doesn't know, China is currently running a sort of "social credit score" system where being critical of the government, minor legal infractions, financial problems, your appearances in public, associating with other people with a low credit score, etc. reduces your social credit score and makes you an undesirable...and now it's starting to carry legal implications. Authoritarianism taken to the next level...and a good argument for always pushing and fighting for your rights (though we may often disagree with which are the most important) in our cushy Western countries, for nothing in our world is either free or static.

Extremely 1984....

Also sounds like a recipe for getting trapped in a low credit score if an area has a trend or problem with 'low social credit score', also creating stratified social classes. I know the article says that it's only temporary, but the way that the system is named 'once untrustworthy, always restricted' gives it the potential to go full 1984.

Why did the Brits put dead poodles on their hats

Because they're silly.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1