The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Nothing new, back some years and people would gawk, must be some weird psychological need for people to get footage of things.

That one guy who filmed the recent mudslide was puzzling, I had thought he would get out of there rather than film something that could have killed him.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just can't understand it... I know that human's life worth can vary from place to place, but priorities... it's like someone would take peoples brains out... If you are a witness of such thing and have no idea how to behave, what to do, you are in some shock, have at least some decency and do not film this if no one else is helping the person... Imagine how effin... awful way to die... not only you are bleeding out, but you have people around you, who flash with their phones and comment instead of helping...

UK appoints a Minister of Loneliness

I haven't seen micro houses yet (except on HGTV but most of those are on wheels) but a block over from my condo building they have micro apartments but they are 339 square feet
Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Let's be frank. To a gov't there isn't many crimes that is worse than not giving them 'their' money. Murder someone? rape someone? You might get a couple of years. Not pay their blood money? PRISON AND TORTURE FOR YOU. Gov'ts are no different than the mob in that way.

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Let's be frank. To a gov't there isn't many crimes that is worse than not giving them 'their' money. Murder someone? rape someone? You might get a couple of years. Not pay their blood money? PRISON AND TORTURE FOR YOU. Gov'ts are no different than the mob in that way.

If you're some famous person, especially so!

Unless you're some sort of business megadonor or banker or powerful businessperson of course.

UK appoints a Minister of Loneliness

I haven't seen micro houses yet (except on HGTV but most of those are on wheels) but a block over from my condo building they have micro apartments but they are 339 square feet

I have a real interest in re purposing materials. One thing that strikes me about this design is not only is it expandable but you can bury it. A design like this, internally insulated and externally covered with earth would be very energy efficient.

I have this idea for a house powered 80% by DC power, 10% propane or natural gas, 10% AC. Something like this would be easy to engineer in that way.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They have been doing homes with those tractor trailers as well for awhile now here in the US. Can even bury them under ground. My woman is huge in trying to go off grid for the zombie apocalypse so I've seen some very nice homes created by some very weird items

Yeah that is another design that can be expanded in a modular fashion.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

They have been doing homes with those tractor trailers as well for awhile now here in the US. Can even bury them under ground. My woman is huge in trying to go off grid for the zombie apocalypse so I've seen some very nice homes created by some very weird items

'my woman'? That's a wierd way to speak of your wife or fiance.

I don't see a problem either as long as she doesn't care. My wife likes stuff like that but I'm sure there are plenty who don't and FWIW she loves to call me her man too.

Anyways, Teens caught in rough surf saved in first drone rescue of its kind

The world’s first water rescue by drone happened Thursday in Australia, when a machine saved the lives of two teenage boys caught in dangerous surf off the eastern coast of the continent, reports said.

The new drone — called the Little Ripper — dropped an inflatable rescue pod to the boys, allowing them to make it to shore three times faster than a normal rescue, the BBC reported.

“It took only 70 seconds from when the Little Ripper drone was launched to when it dropped the pod into the ocean for the rescue, a task that would usually take a lifeguard up to six minutes to complete,” Ben Franklin, parliamentary secretary for northern New South Wales, told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Picture of the hero

_99645911_p05k3ght.jpg

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Could use a better name.  So I guess the next Baywatch reboot will be about drone pilots...makes sense, more chance for drama as they sit in control rooms.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For the counter-balance of crappy world news;

Pope Francis marries couple of Flight Attendents on his plane

As far as Catholic weddings go, it's pretty hard to beat being married by the Pope. On an airplane.
But that's what happened Thursday morning when Pope Francis married two flight attendants in an impromptu ceremony on his papal plane some 36,000 feet over Chile.
Vatican officials say it marks the first time a pope has married a couple on a papal plane.

It all started when the pair, Paula Podest Ruiz and Carlos Ciuffardi Ellorriaga, began chatting with the pontiff when they were seated next to him during a group photo shoot. The plane was ferrying the Pope on a short flight from Santiago to the northern city of Iquique.

Pope Francis asked them if they were married and the couple told him they had been scheduled to be wed when the 2010 Chile earthquake hit, destroying the church where they were to tie the knot.

Life went on for the two flight attendants, who had met at work -- Podest is Ciuffardi's boss -- and have two children: Rafaela, 6, and Isabela, 3. They were married civilly, with the legal documents to prove it, but they'd never had a formal wedding ceremony before an official of the church.
The excited couple explained to CNN and other journalists on the papal plane that it was Francis' idea to marry them. He first asked them, "Are you sure?" They responded, "Okay!"

According to the couple, Pope Francis blessed their rings and then said "we need a witness." Ciuffardi turned around and asked his boss, the CEO of the airline, to serve as witness.

Then the Pope asked his cardinals to draft the paperwork, Ciuffardi said. One cardinal aboard the flight drafted the wedding certificate on a sheet of paper from the airline by hand. The document was signed by Pope Francis, the couple and the witness.
Pope Francis gave the bride a white rosary and the groom a black rosary.

At one point the Pope asked Ciuffardi, "Is she still the boss?" Ciuffardi laughed and answered, "Yes, she is."
The hand-written wedding certificate, signed by Pope Francis.

Ciuffardi told reporters that the Pope told them, "This is the sacrament that is missing in the world, the sacrament of marriage. I hope this motivates couples around the world to marry."

Podest was a bit quiet during the interview because she was still in shock. Both she and her new husband said they were overwhelmed with emotion.
The couple plans to celebrate with coworkers in Iquique and then have a "tiny honeymoon," said Ciuffardi. They fly back home Friday -- with a remarkable story to tell.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Hi res image from the Juno spacecraft. Jupiter cloud tops. It's amazing how the centrifugal motion is churning out dozens of "hurricanes" each larger than the continent of Asia. You have to love Jupiter. It's a big, high gravity "catcher's mitt" scooping up most of the random rocks and comets that otherwise might have hit us. Without it's mass in the exact place it's in it's likely none of us would be here. It's difficult to dismiss the notion of a designed system when you consider this is yet another example of the exactitude of the balance that makes life on this little blue marble possible, So much so that one of the considerations of exoplanets as possible habitability is the presence of hi mass outer system cousins.

PIA21377-1920x1200.jpg

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Hi res image from the Juno spacecraft. Jupiter cloud tops. It's amazing how the centrifugal motion is churning out dozens of "hurricanes" each larger than the continent of Asia. You have to love Jupiter. It's a big, high gravity "catcher's mitt" scooping up most of the random rocks and comets that otherwise might have hit us. Without it's mass in the exact place it's in it's likely none of us would be here. It's difficult to dismiss the notion of a designed system when you consider this is yet another example of the exactitude of the balance that makes life on this little blue marble possible, So much so that one of the considerations of exoplanets as possible habitability is the presence of hi mass outer system cousins.

(edit: removed image to reduce clutter)

well, as to intelligent design, it is easy to forget  just how large the galaxy is.

tv and movie notions o' traveling the galaxy is soooooooo misleading. our planet and solar system might seem improbable, but such ain't the case on galactic or universal scale. there is literal hundreds o' billions o' stars in the milky way galaxy alone. many solar systems similar to ours is pretty much a mathematical certainty given just how many solar systems there is in this galaxy and beyond.  converse, one can also observe how the size o' the universe might simple be part o' intelligent design. einstein suggested God doesn't play dice with the universe, although he were not speaking in favor o' intelligence behind the design when he made the remark 'bout dice.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)