Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What multiclasses have you played with so far?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

dunehunter

dunehunter

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hmmm, anyone tried assassin/devoted? Backstabbing + assassinate can create cleave attack easily, using smoke veil to sneak into the central of mobs and backstab one mob can cause a heart of fury like aoe attack easily.

Edit: ah as Boeroer said there is the cleave attack issue, but even without that it is a pretty good combo imo. Not sure if backstab + cleave or FoD + cleave, which is better tho :)

Edited by dunehunter, 29 January 2018 - 02:58 AM.

Enduin

Enduin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've toyed with a number of builds throughout the Beta, mostly before the update, but the two I had the most fun with and completed all the content were:

Rogue(Streetfighter)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - Crits for days - a bit squishy at times, but smart use of heals/second wind kept me alive the whole time and killing everything

Monk(Nalpazka)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - coked out on Coral Snuff made this a crazy fast build who could hold their own, quite good but not as great as the other

I know Mage Slayer is not well thought of but it served me quite well in the Beta due to Lagufaeth being so magic heavy I'd assume, though I'll probably drop it and go vanilla Barb or Berserker if it's not bolstered by release.

90% sure I'll go with the Marauder build upon release, but not sure about my stat distribution. So far I've gone with 20, 16, 15, 15, 6, 6 which has worked out fine, but with such low Will and Deflection I'm not sure if I should flatten it out a bit more to not be so squishy as damage can really rack up quickly if I'm not careful. And I think I'll go from a Hatchet/Sabre loadout to Hatchet/War Hammer to bring in some diversity of dmg types as only dealing Slash probably isn't the smartest thing.

A Mage Slayer really should procc with more than just melee, ranged weapons at least. *I'm hoping*

Yeah being able to open combat with dual pistols or the like to get a hit on any out of range magic user would be nice. It did feel wrong to have my character not use pistols in a high seas setting. Also looking at things Sabre/War Hammer actually looks to be the better combo than Hatchet/War Hammer, I lose out on +3 deflection by dropping the Hatchet, but my dmg output is a lot stronger with the Sabre.

KDubya

KDubya

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1333 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I've toyed with a number of builds throughout the Beta, mostly before the update, but the two I had the most fun with and completed all the content were:

Rogue(Streetfighter)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - Crits for days - a bit squishy at times, but smart use of heals/second wind kept me alive the whole time and killing everything

Monk(Nalpazka)xBarbarian(Mage Slayer) - coked out on Coral Snuff made this a crazy fast build who could hold their own, quite good but not as great as the other

I know Mage Slayer is not well thought of but it served me quite well in the Beta due to Lagufaeth being so magic heavy I'd assume, though I'll probably drop it and go vanilla Barb or Berserker if it's not bolstered by release.

90% sure I'll go with the Marauder build upon release, but not sure about my stat distribution. So far I've gone with 20, 16, 15, 15, 6, 6 which has worked out fine, but with such low Will and Deflection I'm not sure if I should flatten it out a bit more to not be so squishy as damage can really rack up quickly if I'm not careful. And I think I'll go from a Hatchet/Sabre loadout to Hatchet/War Hammer to bring in some diversity of dmg types as only dealing Slash probably isn't the smartest thing.

A Mage Slayer really should procc with more than just melee, ranged weapons at least. *I'm hoping*

Yeah being able to open combat with dual pistols or the like to get a hit on any out of range magic user would be nice. It did feel wrong to have my character not use pistols in a high seas setting. Also looking at things Sabre/War Hammer actually looks to be the better combo than Hatchet/War Hammer, I lose out on +3 deflection by dropping the Hatchet, but my dmg output is a lot stronger with the Sabre.

If you are looking for damage you should go with dual wielding fast accurate weapons like daggers, clubs or rapiers. A weapon switch to stillettos will handle penetration issues without much loss in dps. War hammers look cool but their damage is really low.

SaruNi

SaruNi

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Assassin/Evoker: A+ except against enemies with fire resistance (assassinate from invisibility seems to be bugged so it only works with the first hit from stealth and any DoT which tick while invisible---so you can open with fireball, but without Transmutation or Conjuration you're left with invisible assassinate-fueled Ray of Fire); maybe C against fire resistance

Assassin/Fury: A (less DPS than evoker but better CC with assassinate Returning Storm; better range of damage types too)

Wizard/Trickster riposte tank: C+ (made before I realized the deflection bonuses don't stack at all, did okay but got hit occasionally, also only has Infuse with Vital Essence to deal will/fortitude attacks)

Berserker/Fury: C (Berserk makes the jump on the spiritshift's auto-attack hit allies; tested before spell damage was shifted to Resolve and bonus penetration from Tenacious was nerfed, spell damage was underwhelming even then)

Berserker/Sharpshooter: B (okay but requires more micromanagement than expected, maybe A- if you really like to kite)

Edited by SaruNi, 29 January 2018 - 08:52 PM.

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

After devoting a majority of the weekend to beta3, I've enjoyed:

Mage Slayer/Fighter: Good damage, support, and some defense through Rapid Recovery. Since he can't use potions or scrolls I fill his inventory with explosives and noise makers to set up ambushes. Modeled after Torian Kel from Arcanum.

Darcozzi Paladin/Priest of Wael: Popular build on these forums for all the right reasons. Spectacular tanking abilities with some extra support on the side.

Rogue/Skald: Great at breaking armor and setting up afflictions for sneak attacks.

Beckoner/Evoker (or /Priest of Berath, Lifegiver): Summon a hoarde of skeleton minions before the enemy's midline to body block and mess up pathing. Then blast away with Fireball (summoning more skeletons!), cast Berath afflictions, support allies, etc. Hilarious with the Flames of Devotion upgrade that copies the effect on to nearby allies - would the Bleak Walker FoD add its bonus effect?

Priest of Eothas/Lifegiver: Solid support all around, though I find the shifting mechanic clunky and Rejuvenation spells have less than perfect range and AoE. Investing in Arcana adds even more versatility.

Beguiler/Ghost Heart (Wolf Spirit): How I saw my main character in Pillars 1, and what I'll go with when the game launches. I especially enjoy Charming enemies from stealth, and the wolf spirit can soak a good bit of damage. If Cipher cast/recovery times get reduced, I might go with Beguiler/Sharpshooter instead, but this is my Watcher's best thematic option.

Assassin/Sharpshooter: Fun for a while, but it's gimmicky, selfish, and falls apart quickly. Might be okish if Invisibility effects beyond the costly Guile skills are reasonable to come by.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8336 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

would the Bleak Walker FoD add its bonus effect?

No, sadly not. It's just the usual burning lash of Shared Flames. But still: Mith Fyr + Shared Flames is great for summons' damage while you can stack Ancient Memory and Zealous Endurance (Robust AoE regeneration at later levels). Paladin/Beckoner is a great combo. I like to use a pike to lower enemies defelction and send all skeletons onto one target. In theory this should be great with Combusting Wounds. But at the moment it seems to do nothing?

• Ophiuchus likes this

CottonWolf

CottonWolf

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 227 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Berserker/Stalker seems really good. You can get a massive AR bonus though frenzy, stalker's link and passives.

• Ophiuchus likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8336 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Recently played:

Unbroken/Street Fighter

I hoped that the massive PEN of the Unbroken and the increased Sneak Attack and crit damage of the Streef Fighter (once flanked) would make Disengagement Attacks fearsome and also that Riposte may be worthwhile. Dumped DEX and gave him a sabre + modal + buckler + modal and plate armor, mainly relying on disengagement and Riposte.

Well nobody leaves that guy now. They just knock him out and then go on with their thug life. :)

Beguiler/Trickster

With Blast I had a blast. ;) Start by causing hobbled + bleeding via Arterial Strike in an AoE, then use Eystrike (and gain focus in the process), Whisper of Treason, then Arterial Strike again... Very nice CC character and ok damage. But I played him with a mod taht reduced casting times a bit.

Mage Slayer/Goldpact Knight
In theory I wanted to rush casters with Zealous Endurance and Golden Enmity and use FoD and Barbaric Blow in combo with the spell disrupting effect. Seems spell disrupting does nothing in beta 3? It applies an affliction but I never saw that attacks interrupted or canceled enemies' spellcasting. Or was this reduced to kith enemies and doesn't work on Lagufaeth anymore? It used to...

Evoker/Fury
Pure nuker. I wanted to expand the resource pool for damaging spells and only chose friendly fire spells that either do burn or freeze damage - as well as Returning Storm of course. I took a pale elf and gave him Bulwark and the Stormturner Cloak, too. He wore a breastplate then. With that much AR against burn/freeze I could easily cast Fireballs (also empowered, although that still hurts) on myself while doing a bit of baiting/tanking. Pretty nice - but only with the aforementioned mod that reduced casting times (and recovery) a bit. Else I could never spend all the spell uses during one encounter.

• Ophiuchus likes this

mrmonocle

mrmonocle

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
My planned party:

human res/dex unbroken/no subclass rogue - a perfect balance of dps and tankiness.
elf con/dex bleak walker/stalker - 10 + 20 acc full attacks + awesome defences
orlan dex/per devoted/soulblade - superb penetration and occasional whisper of treason
nature int/res godlike priest of wael/(troubadour) - cc and healbot. maybe will go full wael depending on the higher tier spells' awesomeness
orlan dex/res no subclass wizard - cc and damage.

Guys throw me an arquebus build, keep in mind that reload time is unaffected by armor (still effected by dex).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users