What are you playing now

Rosbjerg

Bought the Gauntlet (Slayer edition) Reboot on GoG for a deep discount awhile ago. Often host Endless Mode cause it gives me the best chance to play with other users. I've noticed though that things go great until other players jump in. I recently gave it a go in a private game, and smashed the leaderboard's previous record of Level 37 with my new record of 45. All of the top leaderboards have 2-4 players, but I smashed it all solo wizard. I was really hoping to get to Level 50, but the challenges get really absurd by past level 35. I think I might be able to make it to 50, but won't likely try for some time, as it took me....4 hours to beat the last record. I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

Every time I play one of these games with "hidden treasures", I end up missing half of them.  Largely because a lot of them seem to be in areas where you can miss because the main story is forcing you to run fast through that section (guys shooting at you) or because you have to randomly check every nook and cranny.

UC: The Lost Legacy, I got like the first 4 in a row, then I've missed it seems every second one.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've thought about getting Fallout 4, but I just wasn't feeling it. I did enjoy Fallout 3 and I loved Fallout New Vegas, but I didn't have time to play when Fallout 4 came out and now it's like... meh. Kind of like when you think there's a tasty slice of cake in the kitchen, but it just ain't worth getting up to get it.

If you go in for the story and characters, you'll be disappointed. Everything else is pretty neat though. Like many people, I initially hated the game, but then I realized how fun and challenging the gameplay can be at times. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I enjoyed building outposts in Fallout 4 perhaps a bit too much. And then building robots with the DLC. I ended up platinuming the game, but not the DLC.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I went back to Cat Quest today. I've reached the point where some of the small dungeons are rather difficult to get through, since there are no potions so if your health gets too short too early you're just gonna take a catnap in the dirt. Thus I grind a while to level up and try to get gold to purchase spell upgrades, and that healing spell's upgrades are pricey, relatively speaking. There's a dodge mechanic but I typically suck at timing those in games so my kitty isn't very nimble.

Still a cute game for easy time passing, even if the 1000's of feline jokes start to wear thin.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I enjoyed building outposts in Fallout 4 perhaps a bit too much. And then building robots with the DLC. I ended up platinuming the game, but not the DLC.

Maybe it was just me, but I could never get the buildings to look right.  The walls and floors sometimes didn't match up, especially if the floor wasn't sitting on perfectly level ground.

My structures looked like someone playing The Sims after finishing an entire bottle of whiskey.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Maybe it was just me, but I could never get the buildings to look right.  The walls and floors sometimes didn't match up, especially if the floor wasn't sitting on perfectly level ground.

My structures looked like someone playing The Sims after finishing an entire bottle of whiskey.

Yeah, the wall/floors were hard to get right a lot of the time.

Fallout 4 was a game where I loved building and I loved that dog (I may be a cat person but dangit, goggles-wearing dog was adorable), but I never even got 1/3 through the plot...then I dropped it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Plot can't be much worse than Fallout 3, I would think. I didn't realize Fallout 4 allowed for building. Sounds like it gets away from the RPG aspect and gets more into resource management.

I'm certain I'm almost done with Dishonored at this point. Been playing it as much as I get the chance. If I do finish soon, it wouldn't be a super long game. There's good replay value, though. Just like Blood Money, it's all about getting the ghost win on each level. That skulk and choke thing is ridiculously overpowered, but I can't complain. I abuse the hell out of it.

χαίρετε

Fallout, especially any made by Bethesda, is a game I learned never to care much about the plot.  The main stories, by and large, were very meh.

On the flip side, that's one of the reasons I can't replay Bethesda games.  They're fun the first time through when I'm still exploring their sandbox, but for replays I need to be drawn into the story. 

Well, given that I'm also playing FO4 currently...

I'd say the companions are a little less two dimensional for a change. So there's progress in that respect. Serana was already a step in the right direction and they've improved some more in that respect.

(just have to get this off my chest though, and this is probably me, but I can't stand Curie's over-the-top accent. Phew, feeling better now)

The story and faction choices seem rather ridiculous and being forced to make choices that appear to be all be bad isn't exactly thrilling (to me), I then rather have FO3's basically "no choice"-choice so I can at least ignore what passes for the main story without ending up being locked out of a bunch of stuff later.

That said, as usual some of the side quests and environmental story telling is pretty good. (some of it is also cringe-worthily bad, also as per usual).

As far as the story not being worse than FO3, not so sure, I think it's up for debate but I'd say they're close cousinst.

Difficulty is just the typical TES game thing, starts off relatively challenging and then falls off rather steeply later. There's still enemies that can make short work of me, but they're not exactly common (thinking higher tier Deathclaws and Behemoths probably)

That and having a Vertibird crash on my head, of course.

Stealth does appear to be gutted and if you take companions along it's almost impossible to murder anything without getting detected since as soon as enemies go into "cautious" state they appear to go Rambo on them. Then again, with the improved scopes you can often pop their heads off from halfway across the map to similar effect, at least in outside areas...

My main gripes are basically that the game is a technical trainwreck (loading times are just bad, especially in the city areas, had a few crashes and a slew of bugged quests that I had to fix through the console) and Bethesda's hostile stance towards the modding community.

Also have to admit I'm not particularly fond of having my character speak, hope that was a first and never again thing for a TES game. (not that the voice actress is bad, just that most of the time my character doesn't say anything, so when there's suddenly dialogue it's...jarring and pulls me right out out of the image I had formed of my character).

As for getting building stuff to line up. There's concrete foundations that you can build to even out terrain, that helped a bunch. (think that might be part of some DLC though I'm not sure which one).

Pulling electricity everywhere is a pain though, or lining up lights or stuff like that. At least if it's not supposed to look like a dump.

Edited by marelooke

I played 20-odd hours of Fallout 4 and never built a single thing. One factor is that I never got to do the building tutorial because the premise was absurd: you just left your home to look for your kid, and now you're supposed to go back at the behest of some kooky strangers? I don't think so. From a roleplaying point of view, there was absolutely no reason to go along with it, and so I forged on to the main city, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Mucked around there for a while and it was mainly okay, but I soon burned out when it was time to leave and explore the inane surrounds.

TL;DR: Tried to roleplay in a Bethesda game. Rookie mistake.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Finished Dishonored. The end scene seemed to indicate that I'd managed to get a good guy ending in much the same way as Bioshock. Not quite as long a cutscene, but enough for me to see that I ended up helping Emily who loved me as a father and planted me with her mother when I tossed off my mortal coil. More importantly, there was much beer, brandy, and bountiful booze swilling at the end. The game I bought came with four or five DLC, so I might take a look, but I might just go through the whole game again with ghost victories in every mission. I never did figure out who this Outsider chump was, though.

...And I did the first challenge and on my... fourth try? Anyhow, very early I ended up getting made by one of the guest and reflexively throat stabbed her immediately and she ended up being my target. Now, previously, I'd found up to three clues before being made. Silly but funny.

Edited by Epaminondas

χαίρετε

I might take a look

When it comes to Dishonored, do play Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches DLSs - it's a 2-part story with the main protagonist being Daud, starting with Knife of Dunwall. They're both fantastic DLCs, expanding the base game's story and paving the way for Dishonored 2.
  • Like 1

Getting railroaded into an obvious betrayal in Dishonored was more insulting than anything Bethesda ever came up with.

Yes, this was the worst part of the game. The DLCs and D2 are pretty good tho. I do not regret playing them all.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've thought about getting Fallout 4, but I just wasn't feeling it. I did enjoy Fallout 3 and I loved Fallout New Vegas, but I didn't have time to play when Fallout 4 came out and now it's like... meh. Kind of like when you think there's a tasty slice of cake in the kitchen, but it just ain't worth getting up to get it.

If you go in for the story and characters, you'll be disappointed. Everything else is pretty neat though. Like many people, I initially hated the game, but then I realized how fun and challenging the gameplay can be at times.

This. It's actually an enjoyable game as long as u realize 3 things. 1. It's Bethesda minus MK so writing sucks as usual. 2. DON'T talk to Preston again after ur first "settlement needs help" quest and move out to a new location away from the freeloaders. 3. Moderation when it comes to crafting.

The moderation with crafting has made the game so much more enjoyable when I just focused on my home and barely touched crafting for weapons and armor and just using what I find.

Playing ESO on PS4 and remodded my Morrowind. I had it on steam and after many years and many mods, I finally got my "perfect" mod list and now downloaded Morrowind off gog and modded it and now I'm officially done modding my one of my top 3 games. Hurray!

Shadow of War

Feeling just like I remember Shadow of Mordor to be and no different. At least starting out. Hoping the balance and challenge is maintained over the long run.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Getting railroaded into an obvious betrayal in Dishonored was more insulting than anything Bethesda ever came up with.

Yes, this was the worst part of the game. The DLCs and D2 are pretty good tho. I do not regret playing them all.

This is the sort of suspension of disbelief that a lot of games don't finesse very well.

They did, however, provide decent clues that these guys were going to turn on you, though. For example, Lord Pendleton is a skeevy drunk who has his brothers whacked. The admiral's journal is troublesome, the heart tells you he's killed more men than anyone and that he's killed men for both profit and pleasure, and finally he sends you off to assassinate people. So, you know that the Lord Regent is a bad guy, but you also know you don't work for the good guys. However, and this is where I agree that it requires a huge suspension of disbelief, you're an expert assassin who's just knocked off or neutralized a bunch of targets for people who wanted them killed and you happily take a swig with these guys? Didn't occur to you that maybe they'd try to poison you at some point? When it came to this, you should have trusted your heart... at least the one telling you that these were bad guys.

Anyhow, I briefly started the Daud content last night. I have both in the package I bought. At least I think I have both. I definitely have the knife one you guys suggest.

χαίρετε

They didn't need to provide any clues. I knew they would turn on me at some point the very moment I first met them. Their faces just say it all.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

They wanted to build on the legacy of Looking Glass Studios and the easiest way to do that is to throw in an obvious betrayal as per System Shock 2 and Thief*. OTOH Oblivion's plot actively destroyed brain cells as they revolted over the monumental stupid involved.

*Aimed for LGS legacy, hit Ken Levine's signature instead. Sums up Arkane pretty well. But then again what can you do when the people in your focus group while testing refuse to try exploring your test level because the fricking guard told them to stay at the party so they just followed instructions and stayed at the party.

I think I'm nearing the end of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.  I'm not looking forward to whatever last "boss fight" is waiting for me.  Hate boss fights in most games.

Finished Uncharted The Lost Legacy.  Pretty good overall.  The end was the typical run and gun marathon.

Minor issue: unskippable credits.  Can't fast forward them, can't skip them outright, and they take forever.  Had to sit through like 20 minutes of credits just to make sure I saw all remaining cutscenes.  So annoying.