Political Twelve Monkeys

Amentep

Yeah, they've been going overboard with fireworks during that festival, on top of the usual problems.

Thought it was mainly crop burning to blame. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why are you posting that in politics? There's nothing political about it, unless perhaps you're Republican, or even Libertarian. Dont know what the Libertarian position is on Global Warming and Climate Change.

Climate change is science but taking it as a opportunity to push agenda is very much political.

You can easily tell by the offered suggestions where the authors stand politically.

Why are you posting that in politics? There's nothing political about it, unless perhaps you're Republican, or even Libertarian. Dont know what the Libertarian position is on Global Warming and Climate Change.

Reality has a well known liberal bias.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Mainly I posted it here because the politicians who want us to go back to feudalism and live in mud huts and ride donkeys to our "green" jobs live in houses that burn more electricity than a small city. They fly in private jets going nowhere they need to be, thoughtlessly burn energy and preach at us how we need to shape up.  They don't even believe their own message. Or just think they are above it all. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/GlobalWarming/story?id=2906888

Besides I remember in 1975 hearing we had just 10 years left. Then in 1982 there would be mass starvation by 1990. Then in 1996 the Earth would be uninhabitable in the tropic belt by 2020. How many times does the boy have to cry wolf?

That is not to say climate change isn't a real thing. The climate has been changing since the first free protein strings formed a cell. The climate on Mars has been heating up since Viking touched down at Chryse Plantitia in 1976 to what Opportunity is measuring at Edeavor crater some 4000k away. And that is also not to say man made gasses and human activity do not have some effect. The reductions in the use of fluorocarbons has already had an impact on the ozone layer. But far too often the "green" cause is co-opted by people with a political axe to grind and use this "green zealotry" as a cynical path to political power. Religion and science made a poor combination. But politics and science are equally toxic.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Think liberty is not dying in the land of the "free"? Your private property is no longer private, nor even really yours: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-shores/article97915197.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Do you have to submit to one to live in the neighborhood? Luckily here we just have informal NIMBYs

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, it's just your prick neighbours instead :p

• Like 1

That actually wasn't a homeowner's association. It was the city of Miami Shores. Of course, from personal experience I think even less of homeowner's associations. Now there is petty tyranny for you. My fist house was in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale called Margate. It was, like most south Florida developments under the rule of a particularly nazi-esque association. The vice president of this thing was a 70 year old moral busybody who got his exercise every morning by walking around the community with a clip board and a camera looking for violations to cite people for. I was driving to work late one morning when I saw that fat, bald SOB on his knees in someone's yard measuring the height of grass with a ruler. I seriously considered running him over. I'm quite sure no one would have seen anything.

But for all that a homeowners association is something you freely join when you buy property in the community. You know going in that buying that house means joining the agreement of homeowners to live by a certain set of rules. The city on the other hand exerting such heavy handed control over a private residence in which the public has no ownership interest should be alarming. I've said it before the five justices who sided with the City of New London in the Kelo case should have been dragged from the courthouse at the end of a rope and hanged in the street. That decision changed forever the relationship between private property and municipal authority.

Thomas Sowell

GM03UU8.png

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

HOA's usually existed to maintain the value of homes in the neighborhood. If you don't have the wealth to do your part in maintaining everyone's hard investments then it's strongly suggested you get out.

I think the basic premise is fine on some level, but it get's murky because people can get really ****ing petty. Especially from people who stay at home or work from home, they become little socialite vigilantes. If someone has kids and works full time, they're roll in society is more important than some childless or empty nesting stay at home, and certainly deserve some slack. Usually if an HOA is really laying on the bull**** you can go to your local news and break the story. HOA's usually have more power if your doing something wrong, as opposed to not meeting the basics.

To all of you folks who are worry about the idiots President (insert any name here) is putting into positions of power should consider something. If we took away all of the governments power and left it just enough to fulfill it's basic functions you would not have to lie awake at night worrying what those idiots are up to. Just sayin'

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

To all of you folks who are worry about the idiots President (insert any name here) is putting into positions of power should consider something. If we took away all of the governments power and left it just enough to fulfill it's basic functions you would not have to lie awake at night worrying what those idiots are up to. Just sayin'

I suspect that fulfilling basic functions and allowing things to work requires a lot more people than you think.

I wonder when someone will attempt that kind of downsizing on the Federal and State level. Possibly down to county and big city level too.

As for the HOA thing, I don't have any personal experience with those.

Edited by smjjames

In some cases, say EPA, its absence will still have people up an night worrying about a different set of idiots.  People only act to help the common good with a gun to their heads.

Just to repeat, the story was not about HOA hubris. It was about a city making what is essentially landscape decoration decisions on a private residence what was not in poor repair, behind on it's taxes, or in any violation of building code. In short there was absolutely no reason for the city to intrude on that private residence and tell them how to decorate the yard they pay for. The court to say that a great deal of deference must be given to an elected government should terrify us. What can't they do then?

Hell will freeze solid before I ever live within a city limit again.

Thomas Sowell

"Government, even in it's best state is but a necessary evil. In it's worst state an intolerable one."

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell