Political Ocean's 11

Amentep

ehh what this tweet suppose to say? Don't care about future of your kids?

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Nothing you can do about the government, folks. Except maybe, those 2nd Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know.

Sure there is. We do it every two years here in the US. However people keep checking Democrat or Republican and nothing ever changes. If you really want to change, then change your vote. There are other options. 

I'm fairly certain HD was quoting The Donald.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

ehh what this tweet suppose to say? Don't care about future of your kids?

"Waa, the world isn't fair and everyone doesn't start in the same place!"

Were doing an excellent job of creating built-in reasons for failure in our children. Every time something doesn't go right, its xyz fault, and every time something goes right for someone else, its because of privilege. How do some people even make it through the day.

• Like 1

Privilege isn't a bad thing. The video certainly doesn't say it is. It's kind of weird how defensive some people get when it is pointed out that life isn't fair. It's really just about awareness. I mean, the right thing to do would be to look for ways to help bring all of those people behind you along, but that's much easier said than done.

• Like 2

It's more that when people succeed we have a tendency to think we've done it all on our own and on the strength of our merits when in reality the best advantages we can get in life have nothing to do with us personally. And no, I'm not suggesting anyone born better off should feel guilty or that someone born with tons of disadvantages should have an excuse to give up but you probably don't have to look very far to find someone looking down their nose at someone else because that person struggles where they didn't. 

I can give you a recent example I saw when I get back to my desk

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Speaking of tweets: https://t.co/tMM6MMXawL

Never seen so many weaklings and deadbeats. I would not make a single step forward based on those answers and I would still get those 100 bucks based on my history. Some people just like to get excuses and free pass, pathetic.

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Usain Bolt. :wowey:

What are you basing the weakling and deadbeat label on, anyways? They don't interview them and you know nothing about them.

Edited by Hurlshot

It's more that when people succeed we have a tendency to think we've done it all on our own and on the strength of our merits when in reality the best advantages we can get in life have nothing to do with us personally.

That idea is plain dangerous, and I'm only half-joking. Contemplating that fact it's easy to slowly slide into a sense of powerlessness -- which may or may not be the lesson of the vid. It's also important to remember that:

xByII.jpg

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's more that when people succeed we have a tendency to think we've done it all on our own and on the strength of our merits when in reality the best advantages we can get in life have nothing to do with us personally. And no, I'm not suggesting anyone born better off should feel guilty or that someone born with tons of disadvantages should have an excuse to give up but you probably don't have to look very far to find someone looking down their nose at someone else because that person struggles where they didn't.

I can give you a recent example I saw when I get back to my desk

Yup and those people are called libertarians :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just by looking at the presidents (and the candidates) you have and have had over there it's pretty obvious why people distrust the government. I cannot for the life of me understand why in a huge country with so many talented people there aren't any better alternatives?

Money.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's more that when people succeed we have a tendency to think we've done it all on our own and on the strength of our merits when in reality the best advantages we can get in life have nothing to do with us personally.

That idea is plain dangerous, and I'm only half-joking. Contemplating that fact it's easy to slowly slide into a sense of powerlessness -- which may or may not be the lesson of the vid. It's also important to remember that:

That's why I had a second half of that about not using it as an excuse to give up. Or feel guilty.

I'm decently well off now and I was born into poverty. It's not impossible but most people I deal with around my job or where I live don't share my origin story.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Privilege isn't a bad thing. The video certainly doesn't say it is. It's kind of weird how defensive some people get when it is pointed out that life isn't fair. It's really just about awareness. I mean, the right thing to do would be to look for ways to help bring all of those people behind you along, but that's much easier said than done.

People get defensive and angry, because they actually DID work hard and made huge sacrifices to make their lives better and create a better start for their kids. And when some punk says they had it easy and they are privileged it diminish their hard work and newsflash "teacher", people who struggled for years for success will not put up with some punks insulting them. 

3Y0GnxK07v4aCs8EtF3NGd8shE7mIFOSRdup6bcc

Re: Trump's desire to expand the US nuclear arsenal ten-fold, courtesy of the Federation of American Scientists -

‘Small Hands’ Don’t Like Small Nuclear Arsenals

by Hans M. Kristensen

According to an NBC News report, President Donald Trump said during a meeting at the Pentagon on July 20 that “he wanted what amounted to a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal,” according to three officials who were in the room.

Trump’s statement came in response to a chart shown during the meeting on the history of the U.S. and Russia’s nuclear capabilities. Trump reportedly referenced the highest number on the chart – about 32,000 in the late 1960s – and “told his team he wanted the U.S. to have that many now, officials said.”

It is often a mystery how Trump reaches his conclusions and his statement about increasing the arsenal is clearly not based on rational reasoning or factual information. Presidential advisors at the meeting reportedly explained why an expansion was not feasible (that must have been an embarrassing moment) and officials said his comments “raised questions about his familiarity with the nuclear posture and other issues.”

Despite Trump’s fantasies, the United States is unlikely to increase its nuclear weapons stockpile. There are currently about 4,000 nuclear warheads in the Pentagon’s stockpile, of which roughly 1,800 are deployed on ballistic missiles and at bomber and fighter bases. The military says it has too many and could meet national and international commitments with up to one-third fewer deployed weapons. And the trend is that the stockpile will continue to decline over the next decade because of changes being made to the force structure as part of the current modernization program.

Yet Trump’s repeated statements demonstrate a predisposition toward more nuclear weapons. The big question is to what extent that will influence the Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) currently under preparation. Trump might try to slow the reduction and force the military to hang on to excess warheads even though they don’t need them or want them.

More likely is that Trump with the NPR will try to further increase the capabilities of the remaining weapon types. Again, enhancements are already being added as part of the ongoing modernization programs, but there are people involved in the NPR process that are advocating doing more. The White House apparently is in favor of researching and developing a ground-launched missile that, if tested and deployed, would violate the INF treaty (this is a Cold War tit-for-tat response to Russia’s violation of the treaty).

Despite current challenges to the international nuclear weapons arms control efforts, it is essential that the Trump administration reaffirms long-standing U.S. nuclear policy to reduce nuclear arsenals and work toward the eventual elimination of nuclear weapons. Doing otherwise might satisfy defense hawks with no gain for national security, but it would also embolden other nuclear-armed states to further increase their arsenals to the detriment of the security of the United States and its allies.

This publication was made possible by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, the New Land Foundation, and the Ploughshares Fund. The statements made and views expressed are solely the responsibility of the author.
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

People get defensive and angry, because they actually DID work hard and made huge sacrifices to make their lives better and create a better start for their kids. And when some punk says they had it easy and they are privileged it diminish their hard work and newsflash "teacher", people who struggled for years for success will not put up with some punks insulting them. 

He's right though. People do get angry and defensive when you point out their lack of awareness. It's silly to say "I don't get why" when it's always been the dumbest people who get the most angry when you call them dumb.

• Like 1

Well was his analogy rather than any targeted statement.

Triggering words, indeed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On that note, does anyone actually think Trump has an IQ above 80?

I think Trump died in 2005 and has been reaninated by a cursed hairpiece.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So this is your method to convince people to your point of view? Good job, I'm already more sympathetic and willing to help.

I think it is great that you overcame obstacles to open up your business and find success, and I appreciate you sharing that with us. But I don't think I've ever seen you change your viewpoint here on the forums, so it is much easier to just keep things light than to invest heavily in trying to sway you. 

According to an NBC News report, President Donald Trump said during a meeting at the Pentagon on July 20 that “he wanted what amounted to a nearly tenfold increase in the U.S. nuclear arsenal,” according to three officials who were in the room.

OK, either this is treason and US military has a much bigger problem than Trump plans to expand nuclear arsenal or the story is a complete hoax.

He's right though. People do get angry and defensive when you point out their lack of awareness. It's silly to say "I don't get why" when it's always been the dumbest people who get the most angry when you call them dumb.

Why would you call people who managed to achieve something from humble beginnings dumb? Explain to me how a "woke" kid to good to get a minimum wage job spending his days as internet SJW is better than a kid who works afternoons plus weekends helping his parents and saving up to start his business or putting himself through college?

What's "woke"?

On that note, does anyone actually think Trump has an IQ above 80?

His legions on reddit.

Remember the Salt Lake City cop who never heard of the 4th Amendment? The one that wanted to take blood illegally from an accident victim and arrested the nurse who tried to stop him? He's been fired and his supervisor demoted. http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/10/10/slc-police-chief-fires-one-officer-disciplines-another-in-nurse-arrest-case/

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Just by looking at the presidents (and the candidates) you have and have had over there it's pretty obvious why people distrust the government. I cannot for the life of me understand why in a huge country with so many talented people there aren't any better alternatives?

Money.

Also can't underestimate the ego when vying to be head of a world power. It's all about legacy building from day one.

Money.

Also can't underestimate the ego when vying to be head of a world power. It's all about legacy building from day one.

The people who actually want that kind of power are usually the ones you least want to have it. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell