Does the in-game damage record count auras, DoTs, etc.?

Hmm, so what I am seeing recorded is only the Ranger's damage?

Yes.

For most typical builds, then, how much DPS does the pet do?

Hard to tell.

Imagine a simply auto-attacking rogue with 10 MIG, 15 DEX, breastplate and estoc with deathblows enabled but with lower crit-rate. I would expect that much.

• Like 2

They are slow but hit very hard after some levels. Great against high DR targets.

I can't stress enough how nice it is when you combine a wounding weapon with Predator's Sense.

Also their Takedown + Brutal Takedown isn't bad at all.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

They are slow but hit very hard after some levels. Great against high DR targets.

I can't stress enough how nice it is when you combine a wounding weapon with Predator's Sense.

Also their Takedown + Brutal Takedown isn't bad at all.

After using a Ranger a bit more as a test this afternoon, I really do not like having a pet - it gets in the way so often. I know a lot of this is a personal idiosyncrasy, but I also like 2/2/2 formation, and the pet gets in the way of that as well. So I think I may actually try the ranged Rogue for 1 more time. Maybe I should great increase its Perception to ensure more crits - or increase its Might to ensure higher damage per hit. I really want an auto-attack archer who is not going to be micro-heavy, as I have my hands full with the Priest and the Wizard already. Maybe even a Fighter could work for this Borresaine archer slot, since he's going to have lots of accuracy.

Edited by Lampros

• 3 weeks later...

So I have finished my current playthrough, and thus benchmarking the chanter's damage.

This is what I've got after the Thaos fight:

5dgQftv.png

Even despite of fights being very quick (for reference killing Llengrath + dragons took 27 seconds of unpaused normal time), chanter was able to passively squeeze huge amounts of damage, and ended up on top despite of barbarian and dps cipher being some real killing machines.

P.S. For reference, here is the previous update (for levels 9-13):

NoLF879.png

P.P.S. Random stats:

- total damage dealt (party): 800913

- total damage taken (party): 148536

- total enemies killed (party): 3209

- total time: 79h (completionist: wm1 + wm2 + all bounties and companion quests)

Adding a few videos:

- General Playstyle: link

- Cliaban Spores: link

- Nalrend Bounty: link

- Magran Bounty: link

- Brynlod Bounty: link

- vs Adra Dragon: link

- vs Alpine Dragon: link

- vs Llengrath: link

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

I Always said that dragon trashed if far over OP-ness

- deal massive dmg in massive AOE (with max int+ items you just hit everything in sight) : check

- it goes on forever without using per rest or per combat resources ( if even needed) : check

- you can still attack/drink potion ecc in the meantime : check

- do fire AND slash dmg, NO ONE is immune to both, so you can kill anything with it: check

- targets reflex ( the lower defence usually) : check

- lazyness proof : check

• Like 2

Not to mention even when the chanter is on the ground prone, the chanting still works.

If you can figure out a way to purposefully make the chanter prone all the time, you use the +50 to all defenses shield and equipment (for a total of +100 to all defenses). Now he is the most damaging character and completely invincible... all while lying on his butt doing absolutely nothing.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

I Always said that dragon trashed if far over OP-ness

- deal massive dmg in massive AOE (with max int+ items you just hit everything in sight) : check

- it goes on forever without using per rest or per combat resources ( if even needed) : check

- you can still attack/drink potion ecc in the meantime : check

- do fire AND slash dmg, NO ONE is immune to both, so you can kill anything with it: check

- targets reflex ( the lower defence usually) : check

- lazyness proof : check

On point

Have gun will travel.

Yeap. Dragon Trashed is too strong.

I was very content with my barbarian and his contribution to total damage dealt.

But he required quite some amount of micro. Frenzy -> Dragon Leap -> HoF -> BB -> Echoing Shout. Every step requiring a pause in majority of encounters.

While chanter, could be sent on attack and simply forgotten. He just won't die, while dealing the same amount of damage.

The only thing barb had over chanter is his "ability" to trigger Shod-in-Faith and Swaddling Sheet.

Looking back, I've came to a few conclusions:

- I had over-abundance of damage-dealers

- Because stuff was dying too fast, there was no need in HoF+Combusting Wounds or HoF+Petrify or HoF+ Reaping Knives combos.

- Aloth was never used as source of damage past lvl 9. And later on it was just mastered-Shadowflame -> mastered Slicken for 90% of the fights. And bounties/boss fights I was also using mastered-DAoM + Petrify / Call to Slumber / Mass Confusion / Crushing Doom. That's it. Will definitely build him as control freak offtank next time.

- I used Mind Web only twice (vs tentacles on the frozen lake in Cayron's Scar)

- I used Time Parasite 3 times max. Was using DAoM instead. DAoM is awesome.

- I am lazy. Even if I carried Lead Spitter in the offset for 2/3 of the game, I never used it past lvl 9.

- Melee cipher is awesome, and can out-focus a ranged one. Additionally he will cast Whisper of Treasons while being in plate armor almost as fast as a naked one. But damn he's an attractor for stuff like Ooze Spits. Cape of Master Mystic basically doubles his survivability.

• Like 1

- Melee cipher is awesome, and can out-focus a ranged one. Additionally he will cast Whisper of Treasons while being in plate armor almost as fast as a naked one. But damn he's an attractor for stuff like Ooze Spits. Cape of Master Mystic basically doubles his survivability.

MaxQuest, do you favor Cape of the Master Mystic for the +12 deflection, to avoid attacks, or for the 1/encounter invisibility, to get her/him in place without being targeted or engaged, or for both reasons?

^ For both reasons)

Deflection helps in reducing attention from creatures with default target preferences.

While triggered Invisibility allows to not get hit by two crits in a row, especially it helps when enemy group might throw two Ooze Spits or something like that almost simultaneously.  Additionally it helps to safely reposition the cipher.

That makes, sense, MaxQuest; thanks! I haven't used the cape although I have acquired it through the bounty quest a few times. I'll consider equipping my cipher with it.

Why do you find that DAoM is so much better than Time Parasite? I can see that the former is theoretically better. However, with a cipher, you can use the latter every encounter, while the former requires consumables or use of a 1/rest item. I usually give my melee cipher twin sting both for an opening volley to build focus, as well as DAoM for tough encounters, before wading into melee. Is Time Parasite so mediocre that it's not worth the focus?

By the way, is Twin Sting so good for a ranged cipher? I prefer durganized Rain of Godagh Fields, the cipher becomes a beast with this weapon, and the focus flows quite quickly. But this approach requires spending 2 durgan ingots, of course... I didn't compare Twin Sting to Rain on a long run.

I believe that Rain would be much better for a ranged cipher. I was referring to a melee cipher. I played recently with a melee cipher (a DW bittercut) build, and gave him Twin Sting as a ranged weapon for the second weapon slot. It's worth it just for DAoM use, but it's not a bad weapon, and doesn't require durgan ingots as you note. I wouldn't use it as a primary weapon for a ranged cipher, but it's a great option for the melee cipher. I originally gave him Lead Spitter, but like MaxQuest, I was lazy and rarely used it. Once it was fully unlocked, I mainly used it for the DAoM before tough battles.

• Like 2

Regarding DAoM: I just crafted too many of those, so I often was popping them at the start of the fight and having the effect immediately.

Regarding Rain vs TwinSting: Rain is definitely better. The main usage of TwinSting, is it's one per-rest DAoM, which you can instantly pop, make two shots, and switch to Rain.

• Like 1

That is a big of upside of DAoM potions. The downside of Time Parasite, in my experience, is that by the time you build up the the focus and cast it, easy fights are basically over or almost over. As it's really only practical for long, drawn out battles, you might as well as DAoM potion or 1/rest sources DAoM spellbound item.

^ The thing is that 95% of fights in PoE1 with a dps-heavy party last for less than 30 seconds (of normal, unpaused time).

On the other hand, DAoM starts economizing time after just 2 shots.

What do I mean is:

- without DAoM my cipher (20 DEX, durganized Rain, swift action, durganized hide, penetrating shot), has attack duration of 34.6f and recovery of 41.1.

- with DAoM: recovery becomes zero

- time to use DAoM: either instant (5f) (if spellbind); 2.33s (70f) (if potion); or 1s (30f) (if potion, and you have UPMod)

This means that DAOM is worth it if I'll make just 2 shots, even in the worst case.

Edited by MaxQuest

It is, and enemies get longer recovery, but dunno in practice I didn't notice much benefit from it, because often they are already disabled. Plus the cooldowns betweed their abilities (e.g. 25s for dragon breath) remains the same.

That is a big of upside of DAoM potions. The downside of Time Parasite, in my experience, is that by the time you build up the the focus and cast it, easy fights are basically over or almost over. As it's really only practical for long, drawn out battles, you might as well as DAoM potion or 1/rest sources DAoM spellbound item.

That was my experience as well. Kind of the same problem as chanter has/had, particularly before brisk recitation. By the time you are able to cast “Her champion” for the attack speed, the battle is almost over.

Part of why I think fighter is better than people often give credit by just looking at the raw numbers is that the fighter buffs are all either instant cast or passive so there is no build up time or any time lost to action recovery in order to buff. Even armored grace is passive and also stacks with things like DoAM potions giving them the best (theoretical) attack speed while also wearing armor heavier than a robe.

Edited by Braven