Politics Episode 8: WWF Edition

Gorth

Yes they are both corrupt in their own way, but Hillary can speak in complete sentences and has considerable previous experience, 

:lol:  I believe that was their exact sales pitch: "Yeah she isn't a good choice but you don't want Trump to win do you?' That did not fly.

Would you rather by stung be a scorpion or bitten by a snake? Eight million voters (myself included) decided they didn't want either last November. Good for us. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, it seems you get to spend years reminding everyone each day of it.

It's the Crossfit of voting. :p

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Then you need to work on chewing so it ends up in your belly.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not every day... but often.

I'm not just posting to read my own words though. I am trying to convince the half dozen or more posters here that are receptive to it to think about the country outside the Republican/Democrat binary death trap. In the last 25 years we've had two Republican Presidents and two Democrat Presidents and Congresses controlled by either and both parties along the way. The tax rates are relatively stable and social change with a few notable exceptions has been pretty predictable. The economy goes up, the economy goes down because it is largely beyond the control of those whose hands are on the levers of power. Did Obamacare bring healthcare to all Americans? No, all it did was FORCE everyone to BUY insurance and tax half the people to subsidize the cost for the other half. And the price only goes up. The Republican version does the same thing essentially with the added benefit of raising the cost further because of high risk pools.

So Republicans, Democrats, round and round it goes but not much changes right? No, the number of incarcerated Americans per 100k has risen from 800 to over 1450 in the last 20 years. Shootings by police have spiked in the last 20 years. The number of property seizures due to imminent domain and civil asset forfeiture has increased four hundred times since 2005. Not to mention the domestic spying, warrantless wiretaps, data seizures, hell they even want to know what library books we're reading. And overseas on non stop parade of interventions, air strikes, bombings, invasions, and drone strikes. That is not to say all of them are unnecessary, just that it never ends. The last US President to not order US forces into combat (not counting declared wars or UN actions) was Herbert Hoover. 

So the big things the Dems & Repubs have in common are no matter who wins Americans gradually become less free and we become more entangled in overseas conflicts that cost money and lives and pays us back... nothing really.

A wise man once said if you find yourself in a hole the first step to get out is to stop digging. If any country ever needed a fresh perspective, this one does. That's why I keep reminding everyone.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Yes they are both corrupt in their own way, but Hillary can speak in complete sentences and has considerable previous experience,"

The experience of mass murder, pushing for wars,  inability/ignorance/criminality of how to use a computer,  racism against blacks, sexism against women, but yeah, 'experience'.  You are right. She has ahd 30 years of politic. 30 years to show everyone how awful and evil and scummy she is.

Trump may be a gigantic douchebag but he is a docuhebag who had little experience in politics compared to her so  it is now his term to be a douchy politician.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Yes they are both corrupt in their own way, but Hillary can speak in complete sentences and has considerable previous experience,"

The experience of mass murder, pushing for wars,  inability/ignorance/criminality of how to use a computer,  racism against blacks, sexism against women, but yeah, 'experience'.  You are right. She has ahd 30 years of politic. 30 years to show everyone how awful and evil and scummy she is.

Trump may be a gigantic douchebag but he is a docuhebag who had little experience in politics compared to her so  it is now his term to be a douchy politician.

Trump is much more of an embarrassment and has created real consternation and discord in the USA

He is not a dictator and has done several positive things in the USA but we still have to wait for his 4 years to end 

I doubt Hilary would have created such   a dysfunctional, dichotomy in the USA around left and right wing?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not every day... but often.

I'm not just posting to read my own words though. I am trying to convince the half dozen or more posters here that are receptive to it to think about the country outside the Republican/Democrat binary death trap. In the last 25 years we've had two Republican Presidents and two Democrat Presidents and Congresses controlled by either and both parties along the way. The tax rates are relatively stable and social change with a few notable exceptions has been pretty predictable. The economy goes up, the economy goes down because it is largely beyond the control of those whose hands are on the levers of power. Did Obamacare bring healthcare to all Americans? No, all it did was FORCE everyone to BUY insurance and tax half the people to subsidize the cost for the other half. And the price only goes up. The Republican version does the same thing essentially with the added benefit of raising the cost further because of high risk pools.

So Republicans, Democrats, round and round it goes but not much changes right? No, the number of incarcerated Americans per 100k has risen from 800 to over 1450 in the last 20 years. Shootings by police have spiked in the last 20 years. The number of property seizures due to imminent domain and civil asset forfeiture has increased four hundred times since 2005. Not to mention the domestic spying, warrantless wiretaps, data seizures, hell they even want to know what library books we're reading. And overseas on non stop parade of interventions, air strikes, bombings, invasions, and drone strikes. That is not to say all of them are unnecessary, just that it never ends. The last US President to not order US forces into combat (not counting declared wars or UN actions) was Herbert Hoover. 

So the big things the Dems & Repubs have in common are no matter who wins Americans gradually become less free and we become more entangled in overseas conflicts that cost money and lives and pays us back... nothing really.

A wise man once said if you find yourself in a hole the first step to get out is to stop digging. If any country ever needed a fresh perspective, this one does. That's why I keep reminding everyone.

I can understand you repeating the general point, it is one of those posts you can easily repost and its always interesting to read 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Trump is much more of an embarrassment and has created real consternation and discord in the USA

He is not a dictator and has done several positive things in the USA but we still have to wait for his 4 years to end 

I doubt Hilary would have created such   a dysfunctional, dichotomy in the USA around left and right wing?

There would be plenty of dysfunction to go around. Just a different sort. But at least we are spared the shrieking chorus of "misogyny, misogyny!" very time the congress controlled by one party opposed something a President of the other party wanted to do. Like how they cried "Racism, racism!" the last 8 years?

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

"I doubt Hilary would have created such   a dysfunctional, dichotomy in the USA around left and right wing?"

There'd be a war with Russia if she was President.  That would be rather dysfunctional.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The economy goes up, the economy goes down because it is largely beyond the control of those whose hands are on the levers of power.

Huh?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The economy goes up, the economy goes down because it is largely beyond the control of those whose hands are on the levers of power.

Huh?
it lies in the nature of markets that they are out of control

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Huh?

The markets are largely controlled by those who have their hands on the levers of power. Which is not any elected official.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Huh?
The markets are largely controlled by those who have their hands on the levers of power. Which is not any elected official.
even for "them", the underlying mechanisms are beyond "their" control

And everybody knows

It's not that the markets are out of control. And there are things the government can to to modify activity. Taxation for example. Increase tax on an activity, capital gains for example, and you get less of that activity, investing for example. Decrease taxes and you get more of that activity. If you want to encourage borrowing, decrease the interest rate. Do the opposite to discourage. But at the end of the day the economy is millions of investors, producers, consumers, buyers, sellers, and speculators doing what is in their own interests and beholden to nothing else. It can't be controlled. Nor should it be.

The problem rises when trying to take control without taking over. Then it's neither free nor regulated. Neither wolf nor dog. That isn't good. I've said a hundred times pure laissez-faire capitalism is not the best option. There must be some ground rules but they must be few, universally and evenhanded enforced. That economy will grow, then contract, grow then contract. It will always correct it's excesses and return to the mean. It's a beautiful system because is follows human behavior. It won't make everyone rich. There will be winners and losers. Just like in life. But over all there will be a much higher level of prosperity and opportunity for anyone to improve their lot. 

I know Ben will argue the opposite but in his system the economy is chained hand and foot. It may never crash but it will never grow. There is no incentive for hard work, innovation, risk taking investments, etc. And so none of those things will happen. 

Thomas Sowell

Huh?

Economy is sum of complex systems, some which are more controlled and some with little oversight. 

But elected official have capacity to do decisions that have heavy impact on economy and direction it will take, which is why it is good that they usually are satisfied just to move some pieces around and claim that they have done massive amount of work.

There would be plenty of dysfunction to go around. Just a different sort. But at least we are spared the shrieking chorus of "misogyny, misogyny!" very time the congress controlled by one party opposed something a President of the other party wanted to do. Like how they cried "Racism, racism!" the last 8 years?

Its strange but there was a time before the election where I would disagreed with some of this post but now I basically agree, I cant handle another SJ crusade like we saw in the election where it missed certain developments and alliances. The outcome was 9 months where I was glued to many news networks watching  in " horror and contempt " as Trump insulted every minority I knew....yet he didnt really and I felt I had been hoodwinked and Trump won   :lol:  :lol:

"He is not a dictator and has done several positive things in the USA"

could you name them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/04/28/trumps-first-100-days-what-has-president-trump-done-so-far/?utm_term=.6a9c1ddc6e33

I wont lie I just searched for  this as I needed to find a few examples and I was battling :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Huh?

Change your avatar to a rose or read a book.

The experience of mass murder, pushing for wars, inability/ignorance/criminality of how to use a computer, racism against blacks, sexism against women, but yeah, 'experience'. You are right. She has ahd 30 years of politic. 30 years to show everyone how awful and evil and scummy she is.

Trump may be a gigantic douchebag but he is a docuhebag who had little experience in politics compared to her so it is now his term to be a douchy politician.

I doubt Hilary would have created such a dysfunctional, dichotomy in the USA around left and right wing?

U would also agree our media's unhealthy obsession with him has also lended to our embarrassment and discord as well?

I strongly dislike the man and even moreso as our president, BUT would we really be embarrassed/outraged/etc AS MUCH if our media didn't latch onto every action/speech/etc and twist it even further?

Would we have all the street parades we've had without the media poking even further and beyond? The scienctists so far seem to be the only ones who "justly" from his actions in office to protest.

The experience of mass murder, pushing for wars, inability/ignorance/criminality of how to use a computer, racism against blacks, sexism against women, but yeah, 'experience'. You are right. She has ahd 30 years of politic. 30 years to show everyone how awful and evil and scummy she is.

Trump may be a gigantic douchebag but he is a docuhebag who had little experience in politics compared to her so it is now his term to be a douchy politician.

I doubt Hilary would have created such a dysfunctional, dichotomy in the USA around left and right wing?

U would also agree our media's unhealthy obsession with him has also lended to our embarrassment and discord as well?

I strongly dislike the man and even moreso as our president, BUT would we really be embarrassed/outraged/etc AS MUCH if our media didn't latch onto every action/speech/etc and twist it even further?

Would we have all the street parades we've had without the media poking even further and beyond? The scienctists so far seem to be the only ones who "justly" from his actions in office to protest.

You do make some valid points. But to put things in context, I watch loads of news channels and on channels like CNN it would appear that they are always talking about Trump and criticizing him or analyzing his comments

Yes its constant but its because he seems to always make controversial comments yet I have to say I only watch selectively times so I dont get bored

So if I have to screen a channel like CNN then you must find it exaperastating  :biggrin:

• Like 1

John Milton 

Huh?
Change your avatar to a rose or read a book.
Read some sense into yourself.

And everybody knows