Pathfinder Ambassador Program -- Now Available!

I'm confused why everyone is so excited about the Ambassador Program. The program just upgrades the base version of the Steam game to a "deluxe" version. You still have to pay $25 (minus discounts) to buy the game on Steam even if you already paid $25 to buy the game on mobile.

I mean, am I going crazy here or isn't that ... completely terrible?

I was under the impression from the beginning that if you bought the season pass on mobile you'd have it when the game came out for PC. When I went to the Steam page, I was utterly befuddled by the lack of a "download" button. I came to the forums trying to figure out how to link my account to download the game on Steam, and all I found was this "ambassador" nonsense which to me just seems like wool over the eyes of the community.

You bought the game on mobile when it first came out. You supported Obsidian while they spent a year working out the kinks on a product en route to releasing the PC version, which is the one that they've probably been hoping all along would be the one that actually makes them money, and when that version arrives, Obsidian says you have to buy the same game again.

Why aren't more people mad?

I understand where you are coming from and I was mad at first. However the ambassador program helps a bit. 

ATM with the discount the game is $18.74 and with the 10% off (Depending how it rounds) it will be a little over $15. We also get the obsidian edition for the price of the base game. If you bought pathfinder in full on the phone you paid $25.  Now your paying $15 to get everything on PC (All the char alts, cards, etc...) once the ambassador program goes live. So $25 you paid for moble +$15 = $40 that most people would pay. Now the Obsidian edition is discounted so we are down $10 (Since they can buy it for $30) now but I guess the $10 is having the bonus of playing the game longer. 

I would have liked the whole game for free, but I doubt we would have gotten every card, and everything unlocked, so I'm ok with it since the money I'm paying is getting me the extra unlocked stuff. 

I can understand why people would be upset still. 

I'm confused why everyone is so excited about the Ambassador Program. The program just upgrades the base version of the Steam game to a "deluxe" version. You still have to pay $25 (minus discounts) to buy the game on Steam even if you already paid $25 to buy the game on mobile.

I was under the impression from the beginning that if you bought the season pass on mobile you'd have it when the game came out for PC. When I went to the Steam page, I was utterly befuddled by the lack of a "download" button. I came to the forums trying to figure out how to link my account to download the game on Steam, and all I found was this "ambassador" nonsense which to me just seems like wool over the eyes of the community.

You bought the game on mobile when it first came out. You supported Obsidian while they spent a year working out the kinks on a product en route to releasing the PC version, which is the one that they've probably been hoping all along would be the one that actually makes them money, and when that version arrives, Obsidian says you have to buy the same game again.

If you look at the first few pages of this topic, and several others - including the Q&A thread - you'll find a lot of people ARE mad, so I'm surprised you're saying that. Right now it's all been swept up in a series of questions and players struggling to get their accounts and purchases working right, somewhat sweeping the question of "Buying a game you already own again" somewhat under the rug. Which, to be fair, we have had dev responses on.

Perhaps its more accurate to say that people who were upset about the requirement to 're-buy' on PC have already made their peace (for better or worse) and don't see the need to re-iterate it multiple times, since the 'ambassador program' thing has been known by the forum community for over a week by now. 

Right now I'm still annoyed by certain elements, but am willing to overlook the sudden business model change...

(which despite the fact that I feel somewhat 'victimized' - having spend not enough on mobile to get the full benefits, but having spent and grinded enough to earn all of the content anyway, making the PC purchase give me effectively no additional content - I do also believe it to be the betterment of the devs and the profitability of the title, particularly on Steam)

...if a few details are cleared up, more content (beyond just the "Goblin Update") is promised down the line in as timely manner as possible, and the current series of issues effecting all platforms are dealt with. I'm making no purchases until I have confidence that they'll run well and that I feel the long-term investment is worth it. Right now I have neither belief, but I'm willing for more announcements to change that.

Edited by Yewstance

Perhaps its more accurate to say that people who were upset about the requirement to 're-buy' on PC have already made their peace (for better or worse) and don't see the need to re-iterate it multiple times, since the 'ambassador program' thing has been known by the forum community for over a week by now. 

If you look at the first few pages of this topic, and several others - including the Q&A thread - you'll find a lot of people ARE mad, so I'm surprised you're saying that. Right now it's all been swept up in a series of questions and players struggling to get their accounts and purchases working right, somewhat sweeping the question of "Buying a game you already own again" somewhat under the rug. Which, to be fair, we have had dev responses on.

Right now I'm still annoyed by certain elements, but am willing to overlook the sudden business model change...

Yeah I'm not happy about it either, but I wish more of the internet worked like this forum. People who felt ripped off got to speak their mind, and got a response from the dev. But they (we) are not hanging around clogging up every thread with endless repetitions of the same complaints. I vented on my local gaming forum, and now I'm going to pony up the $ so I can enjoy the game on my prefered platform.

I'm not mad. Frankly I don't see why anyone should expect to get a free game on a completely different platform simply because they have it on another.

You have the game already, and a lot of the free stuff in the Ambassador Programme are things you would normally have to pay for. Getting parts of the Goblin campaign to boot? Pretty decent deal.

Now, if you have been a vigorous member of the community and actively helped the devs to improve the game, I think there is a case that folks in that position might be entitled to hope for a little reward if they think in a very transactional way. But if all you have done is rocked up, bought the game, and played it, then I am not sure why anyone should feel angry about not getting freebies.

• Like 3

I might have missed something (I tend to from time to time), but can anyone explain to me where you could see an option that gave you access to ALL future versions of the game?

All I see in the Runelords bundle is:

- all six chapters of the Game

- all 11 Characters

- the Character Addon Deck

- the 6 Promo Cards associated with the 6 Chapters

- and six sets of red Dice

and nothing else is promised.

Yes it sucks sometimes, even more so when the monetarization model changes, but just because you own a game on one platform does not entitle you to a copy when it is ported to another system. Most of the time you won't even be offered a discount.

Ugh.

Re-reading the initial post makes me realize "spent $24.99 BEFORE the PC release". I asked a question as to whether I could spend ~$10 (on nothing. I guess treasure chests or gold, not that there's anything I want) to bring myself over that limit, and didn't get an official response. Well damn, now the opportunity is missed for the full Ambassador-ship. :/

Ugh.

Re-reading the initial post makes me realize "spent $24.99 BEFORE the PC release". I asked a question as to whether I could spend ~$10 (on nothing. I guess treasure chests or gold, not that there's anything I want) to bring myself over that limit, and didn't get an official response. Well damn, now the opportunity is missed for the full Ambassador-ship. :/

Well, look at it this way, if you had to spend to bump yourself up to qualify for the Ambassador program, you're not actually missing out on much of a discount, by the math.

You could have spent $10 on the 14th on things you didn't care about, and then $18.74 on the base PC release to get the Obsidian edition for free.

As it is, as long as you get it while the sale's on, you'll get the Obsidian edition for $30.  So you're only losing out on about $1.25 in discounts.  Which is not nothing, but it's not a whole lot that you're missing out on, so in your shoes I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Ugh.

Well, look at it this way, if you had to spend to bump yourself up to qualify for the Ambassador program, you're not actually missing out on much of a discount, by the math.

You could have spent $10 on the 14th on things you didn't care about, and then $18.74 on the base PC release to get the Obsidian edition for free.

As it is, as long as you get it while the sale's on, you'll get the Obsidian edition for $30.  So you're only losing out on about $1.25 in discounts.  Which is not nothing, but it's not a whole lot that you're missing out on, so in your shoes I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

$10 in AUD, not USD, sorry for being inspecific. Also, I WOULD have gotten something extra for that $10 if spent on mobile. Gold or chests, presumably. Not much, given that both are effectively worthless in the new Obsidian Edition (as is my 20,000 saved gold...), but still something more than what I'm getting.

Though, it's a moot point. I've decided to skip on the PC version, and indeed continued play of the app, for the indefinite future. Not happy with the integration of the Stash making it easy to just give adventure deck 5 and 6 cards to starting characters (nor the greater emphasis on the additional treasure chest cards in general, which I feel throw off the balance of RoTR, and salvaging them all is time consuming and gold effectively worthless now, since the consumables don't interest my gameplay either), and I'm not really getting any content out of buying PC now. With future content updates, clarifications, and perhaps rebalances; I will consider coming back in the future. In the meantime, I'll look into more gameplay of PACG physically. 

i wonder if i qualify with $24.98,  just checked my purchase history, would be a little "annoyed" to miss the boat for one cent, doubt i would buy the pc version if it was the case.

Still i wonder the linking of the account to the obsidian account will be up and fonctional before the end of the 25% sale on steam, could we get an update on that font ?

Edited by barlier

With future content updates, clarifications, and perhaps rebalances; I will consider coming back in the future. In the meantime, I'll look into more gameplay of PACG physically. 

I can only recommend this; the app's fun, sure, but nothing beats playing with actual cards, with some friends, and memeing your way through scenarios.

@Yewstance - you definitely aren't alone.  

I too so far have resisted supporting the Steam version.  My frustration mostly comes from seeing all this coming from day one.  There are just too many obvious decisions that could have gone differently that would have made the whole journey up until now better, including this Steam Launch. The "stash" and "pay to win" features just annoy me more as it ruins the spirit of what this is... I mean, sure, you could add a "pay 50 gold to get a second free turn in Chess" but that really only serves to undermine the spirit of that game.  I can't wait for "Pay 1000 gold to skip a scenario" option that will one day come.  Sure it's optional - don't use it - but that doesn't take away from what makes it bad. 

Overall, If the game was pay to play from the beginning, 90% of the confusion + emotion + frustration would have been removed.  

Plus, the reason why it does burn more is because the game was FREE to PLAY (their decision, not ours) - so people who paid were doing so to show support the game/company in a lot of aspects.  We didn't have to, but we did, because we wanted to show support.  THEIR hope was greedy (in my opinion), that people would overpay with treasure chests, and or because of impatience, and it didn't turn out that way.  So now, it double stings when you decide to crap on that support when there were other options available to lesson the financial load - especially since this game has enough content to support $100+ per user if they supported it right.   

Not everyone will agree - but that is my viewpoint.  

Another issue is they took ONE YEAR to release it on Steam.  

• If I had the choice of Steam vs IOS/ANDROID from day one... I would have only started on Steam and never cared about the mobile version.  
  • If I had known this was the way it would have turned out, I would never have started on IOS, and just waited for the PC version

But lack of foresight, planning, speed on the devs part, I'm now out potentially double the money.   As a day one person, it was clearly implied that it would be F2P on Steam... and that only changed when they didn't make enough money to support that model.  So sure, I could just continue to play on IOS and skip the steam version, but for me personally, I never wanted the IOS platform to begin with.  It's similar to the GOG situation.   How bad could the planning be that these things were not considered so far out or clearly explained to people when taking people's money? who knows, but we know for sure lots of Rocky things have happened between release schedules and bugs, so I guess it's not that surprising anymore. 

In addition when you buy this game, you aren't just buying a game - you are essentially buying DLC packs.  Sure the game "as a whole" is a game, but it was never packaged that way in it's physical form.   The actual "base" game is just Adventure Deck 1 and the 3 scenarios before 1.  There is no reason why they couldn't have priced the Steam Version at like $4.99, and all 5 Adventure Decks as DLC adding up to $24.95. This way, people who already owned the content could buy back in at a much more reasonable rate... but they gambled on everyone being super forgiving and paying 100% a second time. 

Then keep in mind, all of the "DLC" stuff that is in existence (dice, treasure cards, etc) were all designed SOLELY to take your money, not to enhance the actual playing experience.  They were designed to keep your quarters flowing so to speak... 

Solutions?  They also easily could have generated Steam codes for people who purchased $24.95 for 50% off, etc.  

The ambassador program is "ok" but it's them double dipping off the faithful playerbase.   But it's better than nothing, and they do get props for that.  And since they've said that in the future, all future content will be unlocked across all platforms - things will one day make sense again.  

I still have until the 22nd to decide if I want to completely not buy the game in protest.  Which sucks because I love throwing my money at things I love, but I still feel that a bulk of things have been handled poorly over the past year.   That said... I also realize people are human, team size is small, etc, so I get torn with how far I want to protest.   I don't love how they handle my money, but I also want to see them succeed.   They are glimmers of hope between it all and I'd love to just be like everyone else and go - "sure!".   This is all ironically happening while my board game group is all finishing up The Mummy's Mask (Adventure Path 4) and none of us really want to support the Steam version at this time. 

Maybe I'll roll a d12 and check and see how strong my willpower is on the 22nd.   Maybe in the spirit of things I'll let luck decide. 

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 1

That seems like a pretty fair assessment of what's going on.  And I don't think you'll find anyone who'll try and tell you that this whole Steam release occurred as smoothly as possible.  Personally, I'd have preferred a free transfer of everyone's purchases over to Steam with the option for further DLC from there, but such was not to be.

I'm still waiting on the Ambassador program's 10% coupon before I buy it, but I'm leaning towards picking it up personally because the free DLC is looking like enough bennies to me to make it worth the cash.  I fully recognize that there are others for whom the calculus doesn't work out that way, though, and if it hadn't for me, I might have also decided the Steam version wasn't worth it.

To wakasm:

The game was developed because the Obsidian wanted to test the mobile Gaming platform. So the consept of making a mobile game was more important than the game itself. The game just happened to be Pathfinder.

The problem is/was that Pathfinder is/was far too complex to be just a mobile game, so the best way of getting at least some income is widen the platforms to PC too. The PC platform is not after tough. It was planned that it will happen eventually, but because the Main purpose of this game was to test the commersial value of making mobile games, it was not in priority.

So plaiming "bad" planning has no point in here. The game was made purposefully to mobile platform as a test purpose!

That is Also some reason why the monetarity system has been changed Many times. They did not have a clear picture how to do it, because They did not have previous experience on how to make money by making mobile games. So I Expect that Paizo have now much better understanding what to Expect if They do more mobile games in the future.

So it is better to see pathfinder as a prototype to mobile game (or mobile Gaming platform). The dev team instead was/has been very enthusiast to Pathfinder games with very ambitious plans and has been very much understaff to make those plans coming to reality. Hopefully They will get a chance to fullfill their original plans some day. There are a really avesome staff in there!

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

I'm not mad. Frankly I don't see why anyone should expect to get a free game on a completely different platform simply because they have it on another.

From a consumer perspective, the game did not change at all. It's the same game I play on mobile, just that I have to pay the same price again to play it on a different platform. Obsidian can charge this, no question. I will still not buy it, because the only thing I am getting is a different platform.

Also you need to think about that people who do buy now on Steam do not have to buy the game twice to get it on 2 (or even 3) platforms. They pay the same 25 bucks I paid, and get more stuff. To get "even" with the, I have to pay 50 bucks and then I get stuff they get for 40 bucks.

It's just not something I would have expected from obsidian. I kickstarted PoE, PoE2 and Tyranny (PoE and Tyranny DO run on all platforms with one purchase by the way). But this "business model" just makes me feel like was wrong giving Obsidian my money early, since I do get quantifiably less than someone who is paying the same money now.

/edit: Also I personally do not care about the things in the obsidian ultimate edition. Steam would just be another platform for me to play on. I will not spend 25 bucks on that.

Edited by jacenat

The game was developed because the Obsidian wanted to test the mobile Gaming platform. 

Because they are a business.  

So the consept of making a mobile game was more important than the game itself. The game just happened to be Pathfinder.

The concept of mobile games has existed for years.  

None of this matters as a consumer.  They could have developed any game, but they chose to take an established IP, and thus, there is some responsibility that comes with that and it's fanbase.  Heck, I would argue that some large percentage of the people who payed attention to this game only did so because they are familiar with the IP and/or the board game.   

Also you need to think about that people who do buy now on Steam do not have to buy the game twice to get it on 2 (or even 3) platforms.

This is the whole crux of the argument.  New Steam customers don't get screwed.  That's great.  That should have been the business model from the beginning.    

People who only play on IOS don't get screwed.   That's great, because they got to take advantage of a F2P system if they didn't deposit money.

Only people who supported the app because it came out first, with the assumption that the F2P cross compatibility would be there get screwed., because there was no other way of knowing. 

If it was clear this was the path they would take - we would have had a choice to wait and only pay once on Steam.  But it wasn't clear and they even shifted their strategy mid-development, and instead of doing the right thing and gifting free codes to people who spent money, or old customers, they did the wrong thing (in my opinion of course) and had everyone rebuy the game.  Steam 100% supports the concept of cross platform, free to play, etc. Steam supports download codes.  Steam supports discount codes. Plus they built a backend that syncs content. It could have been done - and probably easily.  

All of this is their business decision, not the consumer's decision.  The only decision we get to make is with our wallet, and that's about it. 

So it is better to see pathfinder as a prototype to mobile game (or mobile Gaming platform). The dev team instead was/has been very enthusiast to Pathfinder games with very ambitious plans and has been very much understaff to make those plans coming to reality. 

When you take money, it's not a Prototype. They even asked for an amount that is way above average for mobile.    It's not my job to see it as a prototype once they take my money.  Otherwise the game should clearly say so. Besides, Board Game Apps themselves have been around for a while, and, in addition, Obsidian, as a company, has games under their belt.  

They did not have a clear picture how to do it,

They had the clearest picture ever.   They are only recreating a product that exists - which is a physical board game that has a subscription scheme built into it!  There wasn't anything to experiment with.

• Make Adventure Paths.  Charge $$$ for it.
  • Make Advenure Decks.  Charge $$$ for it.
  • Make Characters class packs.   Charge $$$ for it.
  • Release the content in a timely matter.    Keep customers engaged.
  • Keep doing it until you run out of content.   At this point, that's easily $100+ worth of potential stuff for a customer to buy.
  • Create your own content from the above.  Charge $$$ for it.

The only way this fails if people get sick of the game.  The Board Game sales for each Adventure Path drops off because of the general need to play with X amount of people and real time commitments.  The app should have better conversion because a solo player, playing digitally, can consume it faster, and it's cheaper, thus, safer to commit to.  

Obsidian is a Business. Every decision matters, no matter how small the team. Every feature that was not needed for better or worse is time not spent making content, which would have helped their Free to Play vision come true.   But instead, we now have the current situation where people are expected to pay almost double at a price that is beyond what most games in the same space would cost.  With DLC that is not even core to the game.    

Edited by wakasm
  • Like 2

So can i get a bit of help processing all of what is going on please.  I have tried to keep up to date but im in a remote internet spot in honduras.  I have loved Pathfinder since introduced to the box a few years back.  I was able to get it on my phone shortly before coming here to honduras.  Now i see it is on steam and there is some fall out.  I have some questions to help my own wallet decide in the steam purchase.

--how is the 10% discount that will be offered with the ambassador program (which i made the 25$ investment day 1 on ios plus other stuffs) more valuable than the currently marked 25% discount?  In my opinion if i were going to buy it on steam at all i would buy now (before the 22nd) while its cheaper than only a 10% discount that may or may not come with the ambassador program (once it is up and running). 

--why was the ambassador program not put into play before the steam date, that seems like a curveball to throw supporters.  That being said, will it allow me to apply the 10% off towards other things if i buy it on steam BEFORE they give me the code or is it ONLY for the initial base set purchase?  Is there an actual timeline to when this program WILL be implemented?

--this is my first post because up until now, i have never been a forums chat person, saw no need for an account.  But now i am trying to understand how to link my accounts for this purchase i am to make on steam.  I have not seen any clear understanding on how to do it.  But in the sea of posts maybe i missed it.

--also in this last update i noticed (but havnt seen anyone else post about it or explain it) that the cards i got from chests are not available to me unless i am online.  Data is CRAZY expensive here, i cant stay online like i could back in the states, just to access cards i got from chests i bought.  If i bought them or won them, they should be available to me on or offline.  Example:  i access my collection and look at owned.  in AD4 when i am offline it says i own only 8/12.  only the ones that come with the set, none of the treasures.  but when i am online, all my demonbanes and flame cannons and warhammers are present and accounted for.  can someone please explain this to me.  I cant spend hours farming (online) for them in hopes of getting them so that i can use them offline.  That is silly.  If they are in my collection they should be accessible whenever.

--what the heck is the stash tab that has been added as well.

--again im new to the forums, just trying to understand the chaos that is happening with this cross platform situation.  simply put, i think it makes more sense (if one was to purchase it a second time at full cost) to do it now and get 25% off which is way more than only a small 10% off.  It makes more sense to be able to use the ambassador discount towards more than just the base set (as well as getting those freebies on the obsidian upgrade)  And i should also be able to use those treasures offline.  Ok, im done adding my questions to the sea of them in this process. 

ALL THIS BEING SAID, I LOVE PATHFINDER, I PLAY IT WITH MY BOYS, ITS ALWAYS A HOOT AND DIFFERENT EVERY GAME.  IT HAS BROUGHT A NEW FUN WAY TO CONNECT WITH MY BOYS.  SO FOR THAT, THANK YOU!

• Like 1

Ok... let me take a stab at this:

> how is the 10% discount that will be offered with the ambassador program more valuable than the currently marked 25% discount?

It isn't.  The 25% is a limited time launch discount.  Maybe the ambassador coupon will stack (or not), but the 10% coupon shouldn't expire anytime soon.

> why was the ambassador program not put into play before the steam date

The Steam release was an expected development, but the community only found out about the pricing and bundle details a couple weeks before release.  The community reaction was swift and somewhat unanimous, and Obsidian decided that they should create some special discounts for early supporters.  It was off-handedly mentioned in a pre-release twitch stream, and the actual details of the Ambassador plan didn't come around until a few days before launch.

> But now i am trying to understand how to link my accounts for this purchase i am to make on steam.

1. Go to Options --> Settings --> Link Device on both devices.

2. On the device that you care about the most (the one with your saves, old treasure, whatever), press the appropriate link button to generate a secret key

3. On the other device press "Enter a Link Code" and enter the details from your first device

4. Wait a minute or so as the accounts merge together 

> cards i got from chests are not available to me unless i am online

Dev decision, I guess.  Maybe they can explain what/why changes occurred.

> what the heck is the stash tab that has been added

It's a small 10-card side deck.  Players used to save cards by creating characters specifically to hold onto them.  Stash just makes that a little easier to manage.  A little more here.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 2

Maybe the ambassador coupon will stack (or not), but the 10% coupon shouldn't expire anytime soon.

The devs have confirmed on these boards that the 10% coupon will stack with the current 25% discount and will be available before that discount expires.

• Like 1

When I go to the site mentioned in the first post of this thread, I'm still not seeing anything in my account. The Steam sale ends June 22, so the devs have about 2 days to implement this ambassador program before the introductory sale ends.

• Like 1

> But now i am trying to understand how to link my accounts for this purchase i am to make on steam.

1. Go to Options --> Settings --> Link Device on both devices.

2. On the device that you care about the most (the one with your saves, old treasure, whatever), press the appropriate link button to generate a secret key

3. On the other device press "Enter a Link Code" and enter the details from your first device

4. Wait a minute or so as the accounts merge together 

Ethics thanks! Great help!  Makes it a bit more clear for me.  If/when i purchase the steam P.A. ill come back to this to link devices!  ......Still bummed by the chests availability.  I wonder if it was a goof they didnt notice while updating for the mixing of platforms.  If treasures are not available unless online, it will be a major loss of $ from me at least, because of my actual online availability.  Some days are awesome with signal (like today) and some days it takes 10min just to get the google home page to load lol.  This is one of the reasons my interest in PBP Pathfinder has had to be halted.  Thanks again for the help!

Yes They have. They run it really close... but if it is not ready before 22 it may be better to take 25% than hope that 25% will continue untill the ambassador program is ready.

But their plan to get everything in order in less than two weeks was guite ambitious. But in anyway They have to announce the ambassador program at 22th. Is it ready or not. But there Are two days left, so maybe...

• Like 1

I'm not a dev, but I can tell you the most probable reason - it's anti-piracy measure. Save data is easier to edit and "crack" when stored on your local device; that's why - given that the game on mobile had micro-transaction purchases - you could ostensibly just edit yourself a save file with all the paid content unlocked (you would have access to the content data in the hypothesis where it's supposed to be available to you off-line). This is why they keep all paid content server-side, so anytime you start the app - it checks with the servers what paid content there is, and what part of it you're permitted to use.

And, yeah, that gave me a heart attack the first time I opened my gallery and find all my treasure cards missing, without realizing my WiFi was off....

Incidentally, now that the game is on PC where you pretty much buy all or nothing - this system seems redundant, but I don't expect them to change it. Also, this crap is probably the reason why they can't get the game running on GOG (who have a pretty adamant anti-DRM stance, which forced online connection for accessing the content you paid for represents). But hey - if you're not a big fan of owning the stuff you pay for - Steam is always there for you... /rant

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

I'm not a dev, but I can tell you the most probable reason - it's anti-piracy measure. Save data is easier to edit and "crack" when stored on your local device; that's why - given that the game on mobile had micro-transaction purchases - you could ostensibly just edit yourself a save file with all the paid content unlocked (you would have access to the content data in the hypothesis where it's supposed to be available to you off-line). This is why they keep all paid content server-side, so anytime you start the app - it checks with the servers what paid content there is, and what part of it you're permitted to use.

And, yeah, that gave me a heart attack the first time I opened my gallery and find all my treasure cards missing, without realizing my WiFi was off....

Incidentally, now that the game is on PC where you pretty much buy all or nothing - this system seems redundant, but I don't expect them to change it. Also, this crap is probably the reason why they can't get the game running on GOG (who have a pretty adamant anti-DRM stance, which forced online connection for accessing the content you paid for represents). But hey - if you're not a big fan of owning the stuff you pay for - Steam is always there for you... /rant

Ha, i didnt understand everything you said the first time through, i had to reread it.  So they had to make this update because steam requires all purchased stuff to only be available when online?  Sorry, maybe im still confused.  I am a fan of owning the stuff i pay for.  So should i not be operating on steam?  It is just such a big change, and wifi isnt available to people everywhere, even when in countries with good options.  Verizon works in some areas and some not for instance. So i can just lose my items in the middle of a scenario is a pretty big deal (whether ones in on my character or even the option of finding treasures).  There has to be a way to go back to how its been the past year.  This seems like something they should put in the BEFORE YOU PURCHASE info lol. (Just FYI you wont be able to get any of your items if you are not online)  lol  .......sad thing is ill probably still buy it........or, bring my box set down to honduras from the states.

Ha, i didnt understand everything you said the first time through, i had to reread it.  So they had to make this update because steam requires all purchased stuff to only be available when online?  Sorry, maybe im still confused.  I am a fan of owning the stuff i pay for.  So should i not be operating on steam?  It is just such a big change, and wifi isnt available to people everywhere, even when in countries with good options.  Verizon works in some areas and some not for instance. So i can just lose my items in the middle of a scenario is a pretty big deal (whether ones in on my character or even the option of finding treasures).  There has to be a way to go back to how its been the past year.  This seems like something they should put in the BEFORE YOU PURCHASE info lol. (Just FYI you wont be able to get any of your items if you are not online)  lol  .......sad thing is ill probably still buy it........or, bring my box set down to honduras from the states.

Sorry, my jab at Steam didn't have anything to do with the issue.

My point was, on mobile they HAD to put premium items in online-only mode, to prevent piracy... Only, now I'm confused because you seem to imply that for the last year you have been having access to Treasures even without WiFi ?!? For me, ever since launch, No net = No treasures , so maybe I've been having a problem all along (in which case - please assume all my assumptions in the post above were wrong)

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.